Fairy Hobby 48008 1/48 F-15 "Eagle" Single Seat Canopy Correction for G.W.H Kit

Great resin work but personally a few aircraft need fixing far more so than the GWH F-15.

F-105 for instance..

Other than the lip missing from the windscreen im happy with its shape.

I actually think the correction got the height correct but now its to narrow.

Splitting hairs really i just dont think its worth all that work to eliminate a slightly flat canopy to get one thats now a little narrow.

Great skill in the design etc i just dont think its needed..

Pay your money and make your choice but id rather se a new F-105 canopy in 32nd and 48th which would sell insanely well on a famous aircraft no manufacturer has even got close.

Numerous targets await these skills..

Untitled-1-X2.jpg

Darren, your pic above is of a F-15E, not a C. I don't think that is a valid comparison as the "thick part" of the canopy is carried over a longer distance.

On 7/2/2019 at 11:32 PM, Mstor said:

Darren, your pic above is of a F-15E, not a C. I don't think that is a valid comparison as the "thick part" of the canopy is carried over a longer distance.

The main issue is the front windscreen.

They are the same on the E and A/C

Edited by dehowie

Untitled-1-X2.jpg

as the kit with the GWH windscreen is from a more frontal view than the aircraft on the photo, it should show clearly a more pronounced curvature in its shape than the one on the photo...but it didn't. its top rim is just flatter.(but the fairy hobby windshield has a closer curve to the real thing)  that photo tells just the opposite than what you claimed. 

Here is the C.

Again great skills to get the clear resin so beautifully clear and shaped so well.

Its clearly from all reports the most difficult medium to work with and anyone getting these results is very talented at a very black art even the best struggle with.

Hopefully this means we may see a few more replacement windscreens and canopies for aircraft which to my eye really need work..cough cough F-105..a correction which would make a HUGE difference to the character of all the kits out there.

F63B2657-37BD-4FC3-82D2-4E11120E17DC-X3.

We shall see. I am very surprised at the speed of my shipment. It will arrive today after being first touched in Shanghai on July 3rd. By far the fastest shipment I have ever received from China. Looking forward to using it on a F-15C build in the future.

13 hours ago, dehowie said:

Hopefully this means we may see a few more replacement windscreens and canopies for aircraft which to my eye really need work..cough cough F-105..a correction which would make a HUGE difference to the character of all the kits out there.

Hi Darren

I've got the Monogram 1/48 F-105D kit, for which I've bought the DMold forward fuselage correction. I was wondering whether or not something is wrong with the canopy in that kit.

Just watched some diagrams on the F-105 that Jari has shared on this section, and the canopy looks the part when compared to the one in the kit, also the windshield does, as I recall having heard it was the windshield what was wrong in this kit.

2 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

We shall see. I am very surprised at the speed of my shipment. It will arrive today after being first touched in Shanghai on July 3rd. By far the fastest shipment I have ever received from China. Looking forward to using it on a F-15C build in the future.

Hi Matt

Will you please post some images of that canopy by Fairy Hobby when it gets to you? I'm mulling over getting one as well.

Thanks chaps.

1 hour ago, Hubbie Marsten said:

I've got the Monogram 1/48 F-105D kit, for which I've bought the DMold forward fuselage correction. I was wondering whether or not something is wrong with the canopy in that kit.

Just watched some diagrams on the F-105 that Jari has shared on this section, and the canopy looks the part when compared to the one in the kit, also the windshield does, as I recall having heard it was the windshield what was wrong in this kit.

The canopy in the Monogram F-105 kits are fine. The kit(s) with bad canopies are the Trumpeter's (I only have the 1:32nd kit, so I can't speak to other scales). The problem is that there is no flare out where the canopy frame meets the fuselage, which makes the canopy itself too wide. This, in turn made the instrument panel too wide and so tall that the poor pilot would need a periscope to see over it.

3 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Lucky you. Mine hasn't made it to the USA yet according to tracking. Strange as yours and mine probably went out i the same batch and both headed to Wisconsin.

36 minutes ago, mrvark said:

The problem is that there is no flare out where the canopy frame meets the fuselage, which makes the canopy itself too wide. This, in turn made the instrument panel too wide and so tall that the poor pilot would need a periscope to see over it.

Hi Jim

Thanks a lot for having clarified that for me. So much for the correction of the canopy, I guess, but do you think something could be done about at least regarding the height of the IP? I'm looking at the pictures on the side of the kit box and the IP looks like this huge wall in front of the ejection seat; hadn't ever noticed that until you told me. Yeah, poor pilot...

15 minutes ago, Hubbie Marsten said:

Hi Jim

Thanks a lot for having clarified that for me. So much for the correction of the canopy, I guess, but do you think something could be done about at least regarding the height of the IP? I'm looking at the pictures on the side of the kit box and the IP looks like this huge wall in front of the ejection seat; hadn't ever noticed that until you told me. Yeah, poor pilot...

For 1:32, get Aires 2045

2 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Oh no...I'm afraid to ask but what is wrong?

Yeah inquiring minds want to know 😁. I just got the IAF version but probably same across all of the kits.

4 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Arrived in less than a week. Amazing....the postal gods were looking out for me for a change!

I hate you :thumbsup:

Looks very good. Looking forward to getting mine, some day. :hmmm:

6 hours ago, mrvark said:

For 1:32, get Aires 2045

Thanks Jim!

Aaaaand... for 1/48? :hmmm:

4 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

YJgHfG.jpg

Arrived in less than a week. Amazing....the postal gods were looking out for me for a change!

Lucky chap! How about some experimentation on the Hasegawa and/or Monogram single-seat Eagle kits? :naughty:

Thanks Matt.

17 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Oh no...I'm afraid to ask but what is wrong?

The wheels are wrong. Also the wso left side circut breakers are wrong for a strike eagle. 

20 hours ago, mrvark said:

The canopy in the Monogram F-105 kits are fine. The kit(s) with bad canopies are the Trumpeter's (I only have the 1:32nd kit, so I can't speak to other scales). The problem is that there is no flare out where the canopy frame meets the fuselage, which makes the canopy itself too wide. This, in turn made the instrument panel too wide and so tall that the poor pilot would need a periscope to see over it.

HI, with the Trumpy 1/32 F-105s, the problem that caused the flattening out of the canopy profile is just the opposite of what you describe.  It is the Instrument panels that is too tall that has caused the issue.   When they designed the fuselage to fit the panel it effectively pushed up on the fuselage part flattening it out thereby removing the curve of the real aircraft.   Thinks of the tall panel as pushing up on the fuselage.  The canopies were then made to fit the fuselage eliminating the curve flare of the true profile and causing the error.

The issue with pouring Clear canopies it one of material make up.    Mercury used to be a prominent component of clear resin and made it possible to cast clear copies, as it requires mold and resin temps to fall within a specific range while under vacuum for hours.   Clear resin of the past 10-15 years is formulated to be safer to use by eliminating the mercury, but the affect is clear parts, especially of any size, almost impossible to make.   China does not have these restrictions on resin composition, but in the US and Europe we do....hence the lack of clear parts that are cost effective and of an acceptable quality.

25 minutes ago, ghatherly said:

The issue with pouring Clear canopies it one of material make up.    Mercury used to be a prominent component of clear resin and made it possible to cast clear copies, as it requires mold and resin temps to fall within a specific range while under vacuum for hours.   Clear resin of the past 10-15 years is formulated to be safer to use by eliminating the mercury, but the affect is clear parts, especially of any size, almost impossible to make.   China does not have these restrictions on resin composition, but in the US and Europe we do....hence the lack of clear parts that are cost effective and of an acceptable quality.

Well, actually, I only found this problem to occur only about 2-3 years ago. I used to use a UK brand clear resin that was relatively easy to use, but then it was discontinued/reformulated and the problems started. I then went for a US brand (Polytek), which worked (but not nearly as well), then onto a French brand (Axson) which behaved similarly and now use a Japanese brand which is slightly better.

The problem is with viscosity - basically, clear resins without Mercury are too viscous to flow nicely into those small, narrow cavities for canopies. So the resin needs to be pre-heated to lower the viscosity (which works), but heating sets off the curing of the resin much earlier than the advertised working time. It is still possible to cast nice canopies with today's material, but it's very labour intensive and you have to be prepared to have a high failure rate. This dictates the sales price.

Jeffrey

16 hours ago, Hubbie Marsten said:

Thanks Jim!

Aaaaand... for 1/48? :hmmm:

Lucky chap! How about some experimentation on the Hasegawa and/or Monogram single-seat Eagle kits? :naughty:

Thanks Matt.

Sorry, I do not have either kit in my "Inventory" 🙂