Fairy Hobby 48008 1/48 F-15 "Eagle" Single Seat Canopy Correction for G.W.H Kit

3 hours ago, adamitri said:

The wheels are wrong. Also the wso left side circut breakers are wrong for a strike eagle. 

Wheels I have replacements for. I'll need to check around for some comparison shots for the circuit breakers.

4 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Wheels I have replacements for. I'll need to check around for some comparison shots for the circuit breakers.

If you have the revell o gram strike kit, it has the correct breakers...

2 hours ago, Hubbie Marsten said:

Have you got either the Hasegawa or Monogram kits to see whether the Fairy Hobby canopy fits them?

I don't have the Hasegawa kit, but I do have the Monogram.

Received the replacement canopy today (7 day shipping to the east coast). The clear bits are minimally foggy, but should be fine with a dip in Future/Clear. Kit is extremely well packed.

The Monogram kit goes together differently than the Fairy Hobby one. The Monogram clear bits fit directly onto the non-clear bits without overlap (framing). The Fairy kit clear bits mount over the non-clear parts. With the masking, a MUCH better solution. So, the comparison is not exact, but I think it can be made to work. The Fairy canopy MIGHT be a little longer, but no more than about 0.5mm. The windscreen is another matter; the clear area looks to be about 2mm longer than Monogram's, the width is identical, or nearly so. These aren't precise measurements, but it looks to me to be a viable solution.

1 hour ago, mrvark said:

I don't have the Hasegawa kit, but I do have the Monogram.

The Monogram kit goes together differently than the Fairy Hobby one. The Monogram clear bits fit directly onto the non-clear bits without overlap (framing). The Fairy kit clear bits mount over the non-clear parts. With the masking, a MUCH better solution. So, the comparison is not exact, but I think it can be made to work. The Fairy canopy MIGHT be a little longer, but no more than about 0.5mm. The windscreen is another matter; the clear area looks to be about 2mm longer than Monogram's, the width is identical, or nearly so. These aren't precise measurements, but it looks to me to be a viable solution.

Jim! Thanks a lot, sincerely. You're becoming my personal hero on this site. :thumbsup2:

Nice to know. Very kind of you, my friend.

By the way, I've been looking over the particulars you pointed to me with regard to the missing flare-out in the Monogram Thud, and how this affect the dimensions of the instrument panel. I found out there used to be a photoetch set by Eduard, #48393, that helps fixing it, while it dresses the ejection seat and inner exhaust ring like a bride. Unfortunately, is nowhere to be found.

While at it, I've still found out about this:

TLJC 1/6th Hyper Scale F105D Kit

Interesting stuff; have you ever heard about it?

Take care,

6 hours ago, Hubbie Marsten said:

Hi Mark

Have you received yours yet?

Have you got either the Hasegawa or Monogram kits to see whether the Fairy Hobby canopy fits them?

Hi,

I haven't got mine yet :crying2:

I do have a bunch of Hasegawa F-15s, so I can do some checking to see if the parts might fit. Got no Monogram kits though.

1 hour ago, mrvark said:

No, I hadn't seen that--pretty big!

Jim

Huge is an understatement. I know they said that the scan pics they are showing are low res, but I find it odd that they are missing almost all panel information. Great idea though, scanning the real aircraft to get truly accurate shapes and dimension. Too bad their not doing something in 1/48 or 1/32. I wonder who their target customer is?

4 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Huge is an understatement. I know they said that the scan pics they are showing are low res, but I find it odd that they are missing almost all panel information. Great idea though, scanning the real aircraft to get truly accurate shapes and dimension. Too bad their not doing something in 1/48 or 1/32. I wonder who their target customer is?

I wonder if they will ever make available some drawings. We badly miss some accurate Thunderchief drawings.

12 hours ago, Mstor said:

Hi,

I haven't got mine yet :crying2:

I do have a bunch of Hasegawa F-15s, so I can do some checking to see if the parts might fit. Got no Monogram kits though.

Patience, Mark. I suppose you should get it this week.

Okay, would you please have it compared to the Hasegawa kit pieces once the Fairy Hobby bit reaches your home?

Thanks.

24 minutes ago, Mstor said:

Great idea though, scanning the real aircraft to get truly accurate shapes and dimension. Too bad their not doing something in 1/48 or 1/32. I wonder who their target customer is?

I agree. Don't know what the market would be for a 1/6th scale kit. You've got to be much more than a Thud buff to invest in it. Also, I can't but wonder what the cost would be for a kit that size, considering that the Thud is a big kit already in 1/48.

Now, 1/48 and 1/32 would sell like hot cakes.

25 minutes ago, Lucio Martino said:

I wonder if they will ever make available some drawings. We badly miss some accurate Thunderchief drawings.

Amen, Lucio; amen.

Received mine yesterday and the shipping was quite fast. Once opened and inspected though it was apparent that there are some production issues with the clear resin. Mine had a good windscreen but the main canopy had flaws in the clear part that will not polish out. I may make a mold of it to try my hand with some clear I have on hand. Otherwise a nice part but just not usable at the moment.

regards,

Chris the cabbie

I received mine yesterday. As other have noted, many surface blemishes (including a finger print!). Until I polish the clear parts out I won't know if there are any blemishes inside the resin. The mating surface between the clear parts and the casting blocks is very rough and will take some work to make presentable once separated. I guess haneto and others weren't kidding when they said it was difficult to cast clear resin. I am hoping my parts will clean up OK.

I will check them against the Hasegawa parts soon (give me a while, been under the weather).

16 hours ago, Mstor said:

I received mine yesterday. As other have noted, many surface blemishes (including a finger print!). Until I polish the clear parts out I won't know if there are any blemishes inside the resin. The mating surface between the clear parts and the casting blocks is very rough and will take some work to make presentable once separated. I guess haneto and others weren't kidding when they said it was difficult to cast clear resin. I am hoping my parts will clean up OK.

I will check them against the Hasegawa parts soon (give me a while, been under the weather).

Mstor,

I think the real issue isn't necessarily their ability to cast in clear resin but lack of experience and that the masters were not properly prepped for production. By that I mean properly sprueing up the parts with good amount of extra room. Too closely mounted parts to the large part of the sprue is what I saw too much of on the main canopy to sprue join. This causing issues with finish and extra material needing to be sanded off the inside bow and then polished out. Jury is out on what the result will be at this point. I may opt to remold and use better resin I have on hand.

Regards,

Chris the cabbie

On 7/8/2019 at 1:45 PM, Mr Matt Foley said:

Oh no...I'm afraid to ask but what is wrong?

The way the struts sit in my two kits are angled out too far with the "trunnion" fitting flush to the bottom of the well.  It gives the mains an appearance of a exaggerated "squat".  The 15 does this to a certain degree, but to me, not this much.

I have just received this kit. Frankly said it is far from perfection. The canopy is a little coarse, but thankfully without any serious scratches or air bubbles. But it is not really clear and polished, I only hope this resin is suitable for polishing, which is very neccessery.My canopy also have both hinges/legs broken.

16 hours ago, Solo said:

I have just received this kit. Frankly said it is far from perfection. The canopy is a little coarse, but thankfully without any serious scratches or air bubbles. But it is not really clear and polished, I only hope this resin is suitable for polishing, which is very neccessery.My canopy also have both hinges/legs broken.

Haneto's instructions recommend polishing as necessary (his instructions show Tamiya Compound fine).

I use M3 blue cap. Mine came in the mail too but left unchecked. Storing this item cool somewehere as the masking included will shrink over time.

I bought one incase i get a F-15C ($$$) one day but seeing the price of that kit makes me wonder to sell this item here or at ebay.

Edited by cag_200