Fairy Hobby 48008 1/48 F-15 "Eagle" Single Seat Canopy Correction for G.W.H Kit

3 hours ago, arnobiz said:

Just out of curiosity, may I ask why resin was chosen over thermoforming?

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to vacform that canopy shape (if that's what you meant by thermoforming). It has an Ω cross section.

Jon

7 hours ago, jonbryon said:

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to vacform that canopy shape (if that's what you meant by thermoforming). It has an Ω cross section.

Jon

You may very well be right about that Jon Bryon. Zactoman had a difficult enough time with his Su-27 canopy that he decided to stop making them. I'm afraid the F-15 canopy would be less successful.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just received my Fairy-Hobby F-15 windshield/canopy fix, and wanted to take the opportunity to say a huge "thank you!" to Yufei for such an extraordinary cast. My piece hardly has any blemishes (no broken parts) that wouldn't easily go away with a little rub of Tamiya Compound and some elbow grease, as it reads on the instruction sheet.

Just as with your 1/48 Su-27 correction set almost ten years ago, I knew I couldn't pass on this new set, and also that I wouldn't be disappointed in your great workmanship. Congratulations on yet another job very well done, Yufei, my friend.

Hope that you are able to devise more and more correction sets as you see them fit. I'll sure get them all as long as they're in 1/48th scale. As for now, kudos to you for another excellent piece of art.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Frankly said that canopy is not so good. First it is extremely fragile, mine one arrived with broken holder.
The second - it is not as clear and polished as kit's one, and I am affraid it will be not possible to polish it up to gain nice, smooth surface.

34 minutes ago, Solo said:

Frankly said that canopy is not so good. First it is extremely fragile, mine one arrived with broken holder.
The second - it is not as clear and polished as kit's one, and I am affraid it will be not possible to polish it up to gain nice, smooth surface.

Thank you very much for the feedback, hope Aerocraft can help us! Their phantom canopy for tamiya is top quality

• 1 month later...

I have purchased two sets of clear resin canopies and found they have a yellowish tint  Does anyone know how to fix them or they are done?  Please note I stored the resin canopies in a dehumidifier box in a dark place along with decals, but still come out yellowish after storing them for 2+ years.  Please help.

Yellowing in resin can can have a number of causes: The most common is UV exposure. Resins used by casters usually are UV stabilised with some additives though so if a high quality UV stable resin is used that is not the issue. Parts cast in such a resin should stay clear for years.

The other problem is moisture and here I think the specific problem is not so much moisture having an effect on the cured part (which should be chemically inert and unreactive) but moisture that was absorbed into the liquid resin before processing.

I've had this myself on a batch of clear casts some time ago where casts started to slowly take on a yellow tint while sitting on the shelf. I determined that the resin was improperly stored in the dispeners and took on moisture. I've made some changes to the way I store it and the problem hasn't come back.

I do not think there is anything that can be done to remove the yellow tint though. exposing to UV light may only make it worse.

J