Sanding Off Canopy Framing and gluing on Photo Etch Framing.

Hi All,

I need to sand the canopy framing off a Classic Airframes T.11 Vampire to fit Flightpath Photo etc framing which looks much much more accurate than the kit framing.

How do I do it evenly? Should I paint the canopy first say in a water based paint and sand down the framing till i start removing the "glass" and then remove paint and polish?

Also the instructions recommend gluing the framing with white glue. I thought I would coat the canopy in future and use CA? I cant see White Glue holding.

Any tips?

Regards,

James.

When I've done something like this, I just removed the errant bits with 4- and 6-cut files and then polished the remaining part with a polishing pad set that went up to 12000 grit. I also have some Mr Hobby Super Fine polishing compound that I sometimes use. 

White glue will work just fine. But, I prefer an acrylic glue, like Zap Formula 560 Canopy Glue, which is now what I primarily use. The nice thing about any of these is water cleanup, clear drying, and flexibility. Flexibility is especially important when gluing flat surface joints as it won't fail when subject to shear stress from the different expansion rates between plastic and brass. CA is vulnerable to this failure mode due to it's lesser shear strength. 

HTH

-- 

dnl