Who is familiar with this 1/48 F-4E kit?

Anyone familiar with this kit? Is it any good at all? Is the shape at least relatively accurate? I know it is an old kit and there are better kits but tis "may NOT" mean that it is still not a good kit. I have put together a lot of old kits that were still good models.

s-l1600small.jpg

Can you provide photos of the sprues?  That would assist alot.  According to the SCM timeline, it is a 1987 repop of their 1985 new-tool F-4E kit, but with different decals.  It looks like the 1985 release could also be made into a G, so those parts are probably in there also.  It was later released in 2009 with RoKAF decals.

Edited by Dutch

I had one I picked up cheap - still a waste of money, gave it away.

I don't think there was an interior not even an ejection seat, just a Very Crude pilot.

IIRC it was underscaled at ~1/50, possibly a Fujimi rebox? Dunno.  It was a long time ago.

3 hours ago, Dutch said:

@habu2  I suspected it was a re-pop of the old Fujimi 1/50 kit, but was not sure.  Academy also re-popped the Fujimi 1/50 Mirage IIIC kit as well.

pretty sure it's the fujimi. waste of time and money.

• 9 months later...

Not so much a Fujimi rebox as a copy of a Fujimi from Academy's early days. They did the same thing with the T-38/F-5B kit. At best, it would probably work as an experimental paint exercise or a quick slap together.

I have the Fujimi T-38 and A-4, and the Academy T-38 and A-4.  Sprues are identical with exception of raised panel lines on the Fujimi kits and engraved panel lines on the Academy kits. All are underscaled at ~1/50 scale. 

24 minutes ago, Otto said:

I have always liked the Esci/Ertl/ Italeri F-4 kits. I actually like thgeir F-4J/S better than the early Hasegawa kits.

I'm with you on that. I think the only things that need to be changed out on the ESCI kit to really bring it up to snuff are the cockpit, wheels, and engine area (burner cans and nozzles). I learned that the Hasegawa cockpit fits quite nicely in the ESCI kit, and there are plenty of options for wheels and nozzles.

I agree on all points. I found the same. I can even get away with the kit wheels. Especially if you build Navy versions. Tire pressure for Naval versions was much higher so there is no flatness to the lower part unless you build it loaded down with bombs. Obviously the E variant would have to get the new tires. I don't build much with USAF on it.

10 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

I'm with you on that. I think the only things that need to be changed out on the ESCI kit to really bring it up to snuff are the cockpit, wheels, and engine area (burner cans and nozzles). I learned that the Hasegawa cockpit fits quite nicely in the ESCI kit, and there are plenty of options for wheels and nozzles.

I was able to get a True Details F-4C pit to fit into an Esci kit fine, taking into account that crazy deep nose gear well. The pit was for the most part a Hasegawa F-4E pit with resin sidewalls anyway. I figure the True Details F-4J pit will probably fit in the Esci kit as well with some coaxing.

Edited by Jay Chladek