1/24 Airfix Hellcat

I will have to wait to really dig into mine until after July, but it does look impressive. The model has provision for fitting an electric motor inside the plastic engine to spin the propeller, but the kit does not come with the motor. Should be fun finding a suitable one, if I decide to go that route. That propeller in 1:24 scale is impressive!

The images included with the CyberModeler kit review show two different types of Zero Length Launch stubs for the 5.0" HVAR weapons.  Is there an explanation for the two different types of ZLL included in the kit assembly instructions?

On 6/25/2019 at 2:00 PM, berniemckenna said:

Just got mine today very impressive but the fuselage has a warp at the base of the vertical stab. It can be fixed,I hope.

Other than that a beautiful kit.

Bernie

Airfix quality control seriously is in the tank. I won't even consider the Hellcat, but a Wildcat is another story. 

Glt

On 7/2/2019 at 9:44 PM, ChesshireCat said:

Airfix quality control seriously is in the tank. I won't even consider the Hellcat, but a Wildcat is another story. 

Glt

Third World production facilities.  Same place your OTC and generic pharmaceuticals are being made.  Think about that next time you put a pill in your mouth.

5 hours ago, Sleepy said:

Third World production facilities.  Same place your OTC and generic pharmaceuticals are being made.  Think about that next time you put a pill in your mouth.

5 hours ago, Sleepy said:

You know I have exactly one short shot in a kit. It was the Kitty hawk P39. Took ten minutes to decide to fix it, and maybe thirty minutes of work. It was a small place on the cockpit floor near the forward air bottles. Could have left it alone as it was 90% hidden from view. On the otherhand, I seem to get bad decals more than most. 

Gary

How many Airfix kits have you bought in the past few years?  I’ve got three Sea Furies, and all of them are short shots.  I contacted Airfix for replacement fuselages, and the ones I got were short shots, but in a different place.  There are *numerous* reports all over the place of short shots on almost every new Airfix kit in the past five years or so.  Is Airfix the only company that has short shots?  Of course not, and to intimate that is utterly ridiculous.  But does Airfix have a well documented, much bigger problem with that (and QC in general) than any other manufacturer in the past decade?  Absolutely.  

Would you buy a tire for your car that had a short shot?  How about the syringe your doctor uses to give you an injection?  Why should we put up with it in model kits, when it’s very easy to avoid in the manufacturing process?  Given the prices of kits these days, it’s not at all unreasonable to demand 100% perfect production and packaging.

Edited by Sleepy
On 7/4/2019 at 10:05 PM, Sleepy said:

How many Airfix kits have you bought in the past few years?  I’ve got three Sea Furies, and all of them are short shots.  I contacted Airfix for replacement fuselages, and the ones I got were short shots, but in a different place.  There are *numerous* reports all over the place of short shots on almost every new Airfix kit in the past five years or so.  Is Airfix the only company that has short shots?  Of course not, and to intimate that is utterly ridiculous.  But does Airfix have a well documented, much bigger problem with that (and QC in general) than any other manufacturer in the past decade?  Absolutely.  

Would you buy a tire for your car that had a short shot?  How about the syringe your doctor uses to give you an injection?  Why should we put up with it in model kits, when it’s very easy to avoid in the manufacturing process?  Given the prices of kits these days, it’s not at all unreasonable to demand 100% perfect production and packaging.

I'd guess twenty five to thirty Airfix kits total. Most are 1/48th, but a few are 1/72. They are OK, but not great if that matters much. Detail has not really impressed me, but still gets me by. Some I really liked, and a few were stinkers. I really liked their He111 series and their B25 kits. Their Wildcats and Ju87's are nice. Decals failed to impress me! 

Gary