RCAF / CAF Lightning Bolt Angles

1 hour ago, KursadA said:

I could definitely use a copy of the section on Otter markings as I am working on a sheet for that type with Canadian markings, including those for the UN contingent.

Kursad,

Would you be willing to take the Buffalo markings as well?  There is the Combat Models 1/48 scale vacuform kit, 1/72 Liberty resin kit, and Amodel 1/144 injection kit, of which I have five.  I would love for some more accurate CAF yellow RESCUE decals than what the kit provides.  I have the FCM sheet, but it covers Brazil hi & lo-viz, Ecuador SEA camo & CAF late camo schemes. There are lots of interesting markings for this aircraft that are crying to be done, starting with the CAF yellow RESCUE scheme.  Just my usual plea.  Thanks for listening.

Very respectfully,

Dutch

5 hours ago, Dutch said:

Chris,  Thank you!  Standing by to receive!  R/ Dutch

Dutch hey sorry man I scanned the stuff but it scans to my computer. I will bring home tomorrow.

5 hours ago, KursadA said:

I could definitely use a copy of the section on Otter markings as I am working on a sheet for that type with Canadian markings, including those for the UN contingent.

Kursad, will do. I should send you the section on the fonts and numbers too. It is a page per letter. It may take me a bit as I have to sneak in the scanning as the copier is in someones office 😁

Edited by skyhawk174
On 6/27/2019 at 3:52 PM, KursadA said:

Hey Kursad I think I messed up. I scanned the pages for the Otter and realized that I did so in PDF. I should have scanned in jpeg right? Let me know and I will rescan.

• 1 month later...

I would like to update this thread for a minute now that I have received some new information.  I received some scans of official drawings for the Cosmopolitan and Argus from the CAF Aircraft Finishing and Marking Guide via Chris.  I have already shown the Cosmo drawing above, so I will now give an update on the Argus.  I do not have a drawing to post, as it is on a different computer, but I do have the measurements.

From the official Argus diagram, I know the base length (130”) and have determined the height (77.625”).  I can then use a basic geometry calculation to determine the splice angle.

Tan (of angle) Theta = opposite / adjacent

Theta = tan-1 (opposite / adjacent)

Theta = tan-1 (77.625/130) = tan-1 (.59711)

Theta = 30.840 deg 

Let’s round up to 31 deg as my estimated height measurement may be off a little.  Remember, this is the overall lightning bolt angle, so the "splice" angle is half the overall value, or 15.5 deg

Close, but not equal to the Cosmo angle of 15 deg.

3 minutes ago, Winnie said:

Can I ask for a scan of just the maple leaf on the grid? Looks very good and can be a help to make a cutfile for masks for the future?

Cheers

Harald

Hi Harald

Scanning some stuff for Dutch this week, I hope, so will scan that for you. PM me your email. Thanks

• 2 years later...

Gents,

I realize the thread is a bit dated, but does anyone have info on when the lightning bolts would have been used? It seems they disappeared from CAF Rescue & Transport aircraft sometime in the late 1980's or early 90's, based on my hasty internet search. And yet they are back on the Cormorant/Otter etc present day... Any info on actual phase-in/phase out dates would be appreciated.

Thanks,

rcaf*100

On 2/15/2022 at 9:56 PM, rcaf*100 said:

Gents,

I realize the thread is a bit dated, but does anyone have info on when the lightning bolts would have been used? It seems they disappeared from CAF Rescue & Transport aircraft sometime in the late 1980's or early 90's, based on my hasty internet search. And yet they are back on the Cormorant/Otter etc present day... Any info on actual phase-in/phase out dates would be appreciated.

Thanks,

rcaf*100

they have always been present on the Twin Otter and since the White scheme on the  Buffalo(SAR role)

Tony

Edited by Snowbird3a