Grey square instead of swastika?

Hi all,

I searched for an answer to my question before posting, and could not find an answer, so here it is...

I have the 1/48 Eduard ProfiPACK Fw 190A-4 kit (82142).  I've noticed that on the box art, and in the majority of the color instruction pages showing paint colors/decals, there is a spot on the tail that shows, in most cases, a gray colored square, but the instructions show a swastika in the same spot on one of the aircraft you can build out of the box.  The decals have 2 different complete swastika designs.  On the rest of the paint color guides, the grey square is present, but also that location shows the possibility of creating swastikas to be created out of decals, with multiple decal pieces.  I am truly curious about this.  I understand that in some countries, swastikas, even for models, are forbidden, and I can certainly understand the reasons why.  However, that cannot be the case for the grey square on my Eduard kit, since the decal sheet actually includes those 2 compete swastikas.  I really don't understand the grey square/pieces or swastika/complete swastica options.  Does anyone have a clue what I'm talking about?  I can post the parts of the instruction pages I'm referring to if that would be of some help in getting my question answered.  What's up with this grey square/swastika option?  I don't get it.  Thanks for any help.

I suppose this approach enables the model manufacturer to avoid their box art being cited as offensive--or even illegal--while simultaneously enabling the modeler the opportunity to build an accurate model.

Please, please … before posting this question, look it up first.  The topic comes up every few months on just about every modelling forum and has been discussed definitively many, many times.  Better to look at one or two of them than to ask afresh, because (as you'll see from those other threads) it always turns into an argument and someone says something they shouldn't.

One example that some might not be aware of is if you list a WWII German aeroplane kit on ebay and the swastika is showing on the box in any of the photos the listing will be taken down. I wouldn't be surprised if there were other sell/auction sites on the world wide web that have the same policy.

Because, after all, it's world wide.