ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
MoFo

I made a thing! Fully 3D printed Werner Von Braun rocket.

YBmPMpr.jpg

Got distracted while cleaning my hobby space, decided I could do it bigger and better than the Glencoe kit, so spent a bit of time in SW designing a 1/144 kit.  The shuttle and detail parts will be printed in resin; the rocket and base are FDM printed since they're large, simple shapes.  If there's interest, I'll post pics of the prints and a test-fit when it's ready.

AP2DVRV.jpg 

ZUIfynv.jpg

rsPNqjK.jpg

5xhNHZa.jpg

joHOnMW.jpg

Kkyu7Qe.jpg

Ooh! Ooh!

That's nice! I definitely want to see this!

My first print was the shuttle.  Actually, it was mostly 'just because I can' that I upscaled the model to 1/144 and ran a print.  (all parts are straight off the printers, BTW.  No sanding or smoothing)

cjugh6P.jpg

I did two versions of the 3rd stage booster.  The first was a simple version like the original kit; the second is more 'accurate' to the actual models and illustrations in the Disney film.

08eDUR5.jpg

Later, I realized the Glencoe tail was wrong (per the film), so it was revised to add dihedral:

oqMDhz5.jpg

Quick test fit:

hAZj8hp.jpg

The booster is FDM printed, as mentioned previously, since it's a simple shape without a lot of details.  It wouldn't really work for the shuttle, wings or detail parts, but for the large, basically smooth rocket body, it's fine:

YWmgww7.jpg

Wings added (these are a rough test print, hence the wonky shape where they meet the rocket):

2iN6u6G.jpg

The rocket is hollow, so it gets a blanking plate laid out to fit all 29(!) boosters.  Again, the plate is a simple shape, so it gets FDM printed (a light coat of filler will eliminate the print lines); the boosters are finer and more detailed, so they're resin: 

WXZuUvM.jpg

The boosters press-fit to the plate and the plate press-fits to the rocket:

iBDmWq5.jpg

Next are the support jacks to hold the whole rocket off the launch pad.  These had to be beefed up slightly as it's obviously heavier in 1/144 scale, and the resin isn't quite as rigid.  I didn't want anything to sag or deform.

nJlHGOQ.jpg

The wings just slot in for a nice, snug fit:

fDsCqoQ.jpg

On to the launchpad.  This is just a smooth part in the Glencoe kit, but I added framework around the edges to match Disney's original.  

avlpzY9.jpg

And even though the jacks pretty much auto-locate, the base has the jack locations marked off for easier assembly:

cdB1JUw.jpg

Quick test fit without any glue.  It's tall.  Very tall:

Uz2RBUz.jpg

In fact, with the shuttle on, it's TOO tall for my photo tent.  About 20" tall for the full stack. 

7XKFMYj.jpg

(as an added bonus: you can see the gear wells on the wings in this shot.  I've done two versions of the shuttle - both gear up and gear down)

The mast will add a bit more height, but I'm struggling to figure out the best way to reproduce it.  It's a tall, skinny part, so warpage is an issue with resin.

Very nice work MoFo

What printers do you use?, the FDM parts looks very smooth, are you going to add the mast and pathways?

Thank you for sharing

Carlos

Nice.

Is it from a Photon?

It looks like the infamous AC yellow.😏

Seems you've got Z wobble.

Wow, this is just awesome!

And another nice presentation what is possible in 3D printing, really nice.

17 hours ago, cruiz said:

What printers do you use?, the FDM parts looks very smooth, are you going to add the mast and pathways?

Resin is printed with an Anycubic Photon.  The FDM prints are done on a CR-10.  The smoothness is a combination of low layer heights (.08mm, IIRC) and being run in vase mode, so it's one continuous spiral.  It still needs a decent coat of filler primer to smooth out the layer lines, but yes, it's pretty good as-is.

The pathways are already printed.  I *have* printed the mast as well, but because of its geometry, it's prone to warping, so I'm not really happy with it.  Have to figure out another solution for it.  Maybe bump up the thickness a bit and try it on the FDM printer...

4 hours ago, shion said:

It looks like the infamous AC yellow.😏

Seems you've got Z wobble.

Orange, actually.  Which looks *exactly* like the processed cheese sauce from Kraft Dinner.  🤮   Though I might re-print the fuselage in clear, to give a sense of translucence to the windows.

No Z-wobble.  I'm running the printer with anti-aliasing, so I'm pretty sure the surface on the jack stands is a product of that, plus the pixel-stepping from the shallow angles.  Instead of having a hard step between each pixel, it has a softer break, which looks a little like wobble.  You can see that the other parts, like the exhausts, don't suffer the same effect.

4 hours ago, MoFo said:

Orange, actually.  Which looks *exactly* like the processed cheese sauce from Kraft Dinner.  🤮   Though I might re-print the fuselage in clear, to give a sense of translucence to the windows.

No Z-wobble.  I'm running the printer with anti-aliasing, so I'm pretty sure the surface on the jack stands is a product of that, plus the pixel-stepping from the shallow angles.  Instead of having a hard step between each pixel, it has a softer break, which looks a little like wobble.  You can see that the other parts, like the exhausts, don't suffer the same effect.

It's pretty strange, the design is pretty coherent, there's no big section change, you're not supposed to have this pattern.

That's some very cool work you're doing! This is giving more and more reason to rationalize picking up a printer myself and creating models of stuff we don't see often. 

Thanks fore sharing, looking forward to seeing more as you progress!

On 7/21/2019 at 12:31 PM, MoFo said:

Resin is printed with an Anycubic Photon.  The FDM prints are done on a CR-10.  The smoothness is a combination of low layer heights (.08mm, IIRC) and being run in vase mode, so it's one continuous spiral.  It still needs a decent coat of filler primer to smooth out the layer lines, but yes, it's pretty good as-is.

The pathways are already printed.  I *have* printed the mast as well, but because of its geometry, it's prone to warping, so I'm not really happy with it.  Have to figure out another solution for it.  Maybe bump up the thickness a bit and try it on the FDM printer...

I've read nice things about the Anycubic Photon and seeing your work here I'm tempted to get one soon; the FDM parts are made of PLA or ABS? I'm wondering which one is better in terms of compatibility with modeling materials (putty, primers, paint, glues, etc.)

Carlos

Hey, this is an impressive project!

😎 Coolness to the max.
1/144 scale, eh ...

... hmmm ...

... might need to get that Revell ISS finished and get one of this to dock to it!

😁

19 hours ago, cruiz said:

the FDM parts are made of PLA or ABS? I'm wondering which one is better in terms of compatibility with modeling materials (putty, primers, paint, glues, etc.)

I've printed them in both HIPS and PLA.  HIPS is pretty much standard modelling styrene, so it handles the same way, and it's more temperature resistant and holds up to handling better, but the prints aren't quite as strong (the layers don't stick as well) and details on the base aren't as sharp, since it can't be cooled while printing (or else it warps).  PLA is easier to print and prints cleaner (it can be heavily cooled while printing, for crisper detail), but it starts to deform at 60`C and it's a little brittle so it can crack if it gets dropped.  PLA is mostly impervious to solvent glues (apparently it melts with chloroform), but it glues nicely with CA and epoxy.  Standard putties, paints and primers work fine with either material, but I've taken to giving prints a coat of the UV resin from the Photon, as it goes on thin, self levels, cures instantly on UV exposure, and sands really, really nicely.

Finally figured out how to make the mast.

My initial attempt was to pin together SLA printed sections, but I found that this warped over the length, which looked terrible:

bYIZ9XK.jpg

I tried an FDM print, which would have allowed me to do it in fewer sections, but the layers looked even worse, and the experiment turned out to be unusable garbage.  It was also pretty brittle, and snapped during sanding.  It occurred to me that I could (theoretically) beef it up with some sire or tubing inside to make it more rigid.  THEN it occurred to me that I could do the same with the SLA print.  So I re-worked the CAD to fit length of 2mm music wire, and ran a test print of that...

...which is pretty much perfectly straight:

KXfbLFE.jpg

Another length of 3mm music wire gets glued to the back to simulate the conduit(?) there and to add more rigidity:

CDZ2NUn.jpg

Now I just have to tweak the gantries and everything will be ready for production printing.  I have no idea how this was supposed to work in 'real life' since the top-most gantry is less than 18" wide (432mm), but hey, it looks cool!

dbFikHL.jpg

I'm also thinking of re-printing the fuselage in clear resin, so the windows can be masked off and given a smoke tint to add some depth and realism.  Black-painted windows never seem to look as good.

Very impressive! More and more I'm thinking we are going to see model "kits" become available as purchase/download for 3D printers and we assemble them ourselves. But that's for another time. 

This is one really impressive bit of work! Can't wait to see more progress. The 'grooves' for the jack posts are a very smart touch. 

Cheers,
Mark.