1/48 ZM F-4J/S Centerline Fuel Tank?

Howdy, wardogs!

Hey y’all! At the moment I do not have the capability of scaling a 1/48 Phantom drawing & this is the most , best scale tank I’ve yet seen in 1/48. Perchance have any of you put the above subject fuel bag for the ZM series against a set of 1/48 scale plans/drawings to check one half or the other for accuracy in shape? It just doesn’t look right to my discerning visual scanners & my detail related, yet fickle minded brain housing group when it comes to scale models. And I’ve been a Phantom guru since I was eight y/o (my pa flew them for a couple decades). Ok, ok I suffer from AMS. As always, thanks in advance for y’alls continued knowledge & assistance to help. I really do value your diverse knowledge base that always helps make the best possible informed decision on my builds. 

Always Forward,

Masterguns

Hi Gunny!

Unfortunately, one can't always depend on drawings to get it right, so I don't think checking it that way will tell you much. Looking at photos online, I don't see any major difference between the Z-M tank, the Hasegawa one, or the real one. Maybe someone here has the tank dimensions. If the tank is off a tad, I don't think it's as big of a shape issue as the fuselage's fat butt.  

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown

Hey, Ben.

Very well. Fair enough, what your saying makes good sense that I didn’t think of. As far as the rear fuselage misshape, I use the Hypersonic resin correct sets & it looks so much more accurate. They really aren’t that expensive & are very user friendly. I get my Hypersonic merchandise in a week from Japan.   Thanks for the info. 

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

Edited by Gunny

Yes, Jeffrey's products are top-notch! I have his canopy details in almost all of my F-4 kits. The only reason I don't have them in all of my F-4s is I have to order a couple more sets.  😁

Ben

The best drawings on the net are right here. Are they accurate, well you'll need to be the judge of that, but from what I have researched and held them against what Jun has drawn, they is pretty darned close.

Again you be the judge and the tanks from Zoukie Doukie's Phantom II look close to the drawings. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Larry

f4front_c.gif

For some reason those drawings didn’t show up in my search engine. With fear of sounding like a space cadet, increase the ratio 50% to print to 1/48? Thanks again!

Semper Fi,

Masterguns 

On 6/26/2019 at 4:49 PM, Gunny said:

Hey y’all! At the moment I do not have the capability of scaling a 1/48 Phantom drawing & this is the most , best scale tank I’ve yet seen in 1/48. Perchance have any of you put the above subject fuel bag for the ZM series against a set of 1/48 scale plans/drawings to check one half or the other for accuracy in shape?

LOLOLOL!!!!!  What drawings are you proposing to compare them to?  And why are you assuming that just because a drawing is a drawing, that by definition it's "accurate"?  I'll give you a hint:  that's a very rash assumption, and more often than not, utterly wrong.

Honestly, I'd trust ZM's research a lot more than I'd trust any published drawings, other than perhaps those made by the manufacturer of the actual tank itself.

Thank you, Ben, Incaroad & Tailspin for the intel. That’s the proper, concise & pragmatic replies I was looking for. I wasn’t aware of Jun’s schematics. Thanks, again gents! Have an awesome week!

Semper Fi,

Masterguns