Glow-In-The-Dark paint for fiber optics /light pipes?

I'm building the Bandai Blockade Runner, and I'd like to do SOMETHING to give an impression that the engines are burning, but I'm not going to run LEDs for the engines. The engines are almost exactly 1/8", so I was going to use some clear Plastruct rod and cut plugs for each engine. I was trying to find a way to give SOME lighting effect.   I took a 1/8" clear yellow rod, and tried spraying one end with white paint, or chrome paint, or clear red, while leaving a clear "lens" on the other end. I was trying to catch some light inside the rod and reflect it back to the "lens" end of the clear rod. Then it hit me: What if I used glow-in-the-dark paint?
My reasoning is this: light will get into the engine through the clear rod, hopefully with enough transmitted to charge the GitD paint. The GitD paint would then glow, and it would light up the clear "lens" end. Before I go out and buy some, has anyone tried this? Am I making the least bit of sense?

Did GitD-paint improved over the years?

It faints after 5 seconds? I used it for my battelstar galactica models and cockpit layouts back then. Now if i want burner cans, i use micro-leds (used in modelbahn/trains).

Edited by cag_200