True Earth paints

Anyone used any of True Earth's products? I stumbled across them the other day and their stuff appears intriguing. Water based with a proprietary resin based coloring. Does not require anything but water to thin. Color intensity is low, kind of translucent. So multiple coats may be required. They have a line of washes and filters that grabbed most of my attention. They state that the coloring is not pigment based but is in the resin base itself. If true and if they perform as they indicate, this would be the perfect pin wash. No pigment separation. 

With their colors, they show how to do featured edge camo using a brush. They have a metallic line too, including a metallic filter that can be used to create Have Glass finishes.

Needless to say, I have gone ahead and purchased a few washes and Two of their "Shading Metals" line which are metallics made for brush painting, blending and drybrushing.

So, has anyone here used any of their products? Here's their website:

http://www.true-earth.com/en-uk/index.html

34 minutes ago, Napalmakita said:

Looks a lot like the Ammo of mig stuff.  I just responded to a post saying how much I like those.  The clean up and ease of use combined with zero fumes is great.  These look like they are the same type of deal.  

I've used Ammo of Mig stuff. It's like Vallejo paints. From what I read on the True Earth site, their paints are different. They don't use normal pigments for coloring. This is how they explain their coloring (spelling theirs):

"In traditional paints , the color is given by pigment particles. To be used in paints they are milled, and their appearance reminds a crumb of bread, rough and irregularly shaped. When we paint, both with brush or airbrush, these shapes roll on each other, and by framing as they can, they fail to settle in a uniform way. Paitn tends to get thick, airbrush is prone to clogging, and cleaning difficult. Thus they require specific fluidifying thinners, smelly and unhealty.

True Earth products such as SDW Shading Colors, Filter & Wash, SDW Rust instead, do not contain pigment. The coloration is obtained by microscopic spheres of resin dye. To the full advantage of the smoothness both brush and airbrush, with thin paint layers, because the microspheres tend naturally to settle in an orderly manner. No brush marks remain, and it is almost impossible to clog the airbrush. In both cases also with an unthinned paint."

If true, I see a great potential in their line of washes. I problem with most washes is that the pigments then to settle out and separate rapidly. If True Earth washes don't have pigments in the traditional sense, then this settling out and separation would, hopefully, disappear or at least be minimized.

So, has no one used their stuff?

ammo is nothing like vallejo mc or ma, it's actually worse even with it's own thinner (doesn't accept anything else as thinner anyway) can't cover, can't stick, no fine work is possible freehand. their formulation are totally different i can tell you that much. 

8 hours ago, Mstor said:

If true, I see a great potential in their line of washes. I problem with most washes is that the pigments then to settle out and separate rapidly. If True Earth washes don't have pigments in the traditional sense, then this settling out and separation would, hopefully, disappear or at least be minimized

Exactly why I hate Acrylic washes. They are not consistent enough. I have pretty much given up on the ones from Vallejo and similar. I have 2 favorite wash these days. Flory Models clay washes and Tamiya Enamel. Unlike the Vinyl acrylics from Vallejo and similar They don't leave a residue line. Or a thin film coating that can strart to lift and pebble with subsequent layers of weathering. 

1 hour ago, murad said:

ammo is nothing like vallejo mc or ma, it's actually worse even with it's own thinner (doesn't accept anything else as thinner anyway) can't cover, can't stick, no fine work is possible freehand. their formulation are totally different i can tell you that much. 

That's funny because I've been using Ammo paints for a couple years, about 8 projects, and I get great results.  The one shot primer is smooth as silk.  I do my own free hand camo, marble effects with black basing, thinned coats to blend decals..no problem. I usually don't thin them at all but I have used Tamiya acrylic thinner, rubbing alcohol and even just water.  

Edited by Napalmakita

I've only airbrushed Ammo once or twice, for something small I think. Didn't have much problems other than tip dry. If I remember correctly, I used them to spray some missiles in a custom mix color. I use Ammo and Vallejo paints mostly for brush painting small details.

2 hours ago, viper730 said:

Exactly why I hate Acrylic washes. They are not consistent enough. I have pretty much given up on the ones from Vallejo and similar. I have 2 favorite wash these days. Flory Models clay washes and Tamiya Enamel. Unlike the Vinyl acrylics from Vallejo and similar They don't leave a residue line. Or a thin film coating that can strart to lift and pebble with subsequent layers of weathering. 

I use and like Flory a lot. Tamiya's are very good too but a little hot. Mr. Color washes are nice too and have a larger range of colors and not as hot as Tamiya's.

Like I said, I am anxious to receive the True Earth washes. If their promo info is right, then they may be just what the doctor ordered. Needless to say, once I receive and test them I will report back here with my findings.

I received my order of these paints today and did some quick experimenting with the washes/filters. Their advertising is correct in that the color does not appear to be from pigments. there is nothing that settles out in the washes. The metallics do seem to have an extremely fine pigment so do need shaking. The washes/filters, like all their paints are very slow drying. This gives one time to play around with the paint, blend colors, create effects. I think I will need to go back and look at their tutorials again. These are very different from regular "water based acrylic" paints. Will report more as I gain some experience with this line.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of BB from Daisy will always save time mixing paint ,some pigments fade with time . 

I always have a headache with cockpit colors Russian old an new plus all "K" export version remember mig-21 kind of Jade green and su-27/35 D egg blue.  All brands have their formula . maybe Akan or mig have the closer color . All armed forces have their supplier With color specific . Air force have secret formula and contractors for pigment mission specific .

• 4 years later...