• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, Karl, could not resist adding to your comment earlier. Being an Ex-aircraft carrier man myself had to say something. Glue is the least of your worries in the reproductive department when you eat, sleep, etc... sitting on top of a nuclear reactor day after day. :cheers:

Here's one for ya Karl :thumbsup:

Kiowafixer/Ex-Tomcatfixer

Sorry, Karl, could not resist adding to your comment earlier. Being an Ex-aircraft carrier man myself had to say something. Glue is the least of your worries in the reproductive department when you eat, sleep, etc... sitting on top of a nuclear reactor day after day. :wave:

Here's one for ya Karl :thumbsup:

Kiowafixer/Ex-Tomcatfixer

eh, could be worse - you could have 3 ALQ-99 pods (read: 6 transmitters) but a few feet away from you, merrily jamming away.... :beer4:

hey, what's that tingle???? :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...
hi,im a 14 years old modeler.On my glue box it say:'' do not use in a non-ventilated area...this glue can give reproductive problem''!!!!!!!!! B)

Due to a complete and utter lack of "game", I don't worry about that one too much :worship:

You, know, Kolja, it's the "dress whites & gold wings"...not running around with your flight-rag on. :P :lol: :D

hi,im a 14 years old modeler.On my glue box it say:'' do not use in a non-ventilated area...this glue can give reproductive problem''!!!!!!!!! :worship:

Due to a complete and utter lack of "game", I don't worry about that one too much :lol:

You, know, Kolja, it's the "dress whites & gold wings"...not running around with your flight-rag on. :P :P :D

Dress whites were not made for 20" necks. B)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Russell
:cheers: I found spraying hobby paint simular to spraying two pack paint for real cars if you don't put on the safety gear you may as well stand in front a bus as it will kill you just as fast as painting with hobby paint these days. :rofl:
  • 5 months later...

Non Toxic Seam filling alternative??

ApoxieSculpt

I bought this just before I got into my 4 year and counting no build at all streak.

I asked a lot of questions of the customer service rep. This may be an answer to the more dangerous fillers out there.

from the web site:

Self-hardening, 2 part product (A & :cheers: must be mixed thoroughly. Putty like feel.

• Open working time about 1-3 hours. Cures hard overnight (24 hour full cure).

• 0% shrinkage.

• Strongly adheres to almost any clean surface . . . including ceramic, fiberglass, foam, glass, metal, plastics, resin, stone, wood, and more.

• Can be seamlessly feathered before set-up, or sanded, tapped, lathed or otherwise tooled after.

• User friendly clay. Non-flammable, non-hazardous. No solvents or fumes. Complies with ASTM D.4236.

• Clean up with Apoxie® Safety Solvent or water

• 6 months later...

Ummm, I've posted a similar thing on another topic, but it disappeared! :santa:

Anyway, I'll give it a try here, too:

I'm 17 years old, I've purchased an airbrush in late October this year and I've been using it less than once a week now. I've always kept the window open during any part of my airbrushing process, including cleaning, too.

The window is very close to my desk; when I airbrush, I keep it at least 1ft away from me. Also, I use Model Master, Testors and Humbrol products.

Now the thing is, I didn't buy a respirator. And I never had any headaches or any such problems so far.

Again, my room is very ventilated.

So, how serious or harmful is my case here?

Thank you very much

You can´t influence how much of the paintparticles enter you nose, since the odour comes only from the thinner. The smell can be carried away by wind etc., but that doesn´t mean you can´t get nosecancer or lungcancer when you don´t use a mask. Invest 10-30 bucks, instead of having to shell out thousands for cancertreatment and a funeral. My advice. I´ve burried my Dad, he died from lungcancer and it was horrible. You don´t want that.

István

Merry Christmas and safe modelling!

Yes, now I realize that you're right. :thumbsup:

So I went and bought a mask and it obviously feels differently. No fumes or particles...phew!

The fact is, I only airbrush small quantities and in short strokes. So there isn't a cloud of fumes in my room, anyway. But still, the mask is important.

One more question, though: how often do I have to change it?

• 1 month later...
You can´t influence how much of the paintparticles enter you nose, since the odour comes only from the thinner. The smell can be carried away by wind etc., but that doesn´t mean you can´t get nosecancer or lungcancer when you don´t use a mask. Invest 10-30 bucks, instead of having to shell out thousands for cancertreatment and a funeral. My advice. I´ve burried my Dad, he died from lungcancer and it was horrible. You don´t want that.

István

Merry Christmas and safe modelling!

The biggest shock I ever got was after I was doing some painting and I coughed up Gunship Gray. I don't remember seeing any paint fumes or even smelling anything. After that I got an industrial paint spraying mask and a kitchen extractor fan.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

There are too many brands out there. Go to any major hardware store (Home Depot, Lowes or whatever you have down there) and look in the paint department. I'd recommend buying the best (ie most expensive one) with 2 filters and comfortable straps.

something like that

Respirator.jpg

• 9 months later...
I remember reading that - I think it was in Scale Aircraft Modelling in the late 80s or early 90s - must look it up.

This can be found on Hyperscale :

http://www.clubhyper.com/toxicologyfm_1.htm

;)

Stef

Seems the Hyperscale link no longer works; here's one from IPMS Canada (not sure if it's the same article):

http://www.ipmscanada.com/safety.html

• 2 months later...
can someone recommend a good mask? I really need one....

bro, the correct term is not mask in your case, it would be called a respirator instead...

mask is something that look like a dust mask..but if you are looking for something to protect you from dust (sanding resin etc etc) i would recommed n-95 (not mobile phone btw :thumbsup:), .. most PPE manufacturer do make the N-95 dust mask.. i'm using 3M N-95 mask..

for chemicals, we have to use respirator... i use 3M double organic vapor catridges..or sometime i used multi gass cartridges...

my 2 cents

• 2 years later...

Always wear eye protection when cutting photo etch - the part can fly, or the blade can chip

Always wear eye protection when using a Dremel tool

A respirator is a must while spraying / airbrushing - even in a well ventilated room

Beware of CA glues - wear eye protection when using them or spraying Zip Kicker. You really don't want that stuff in your eyes

When an X-Acto knife rolls and falls, don't clamp your legs together to catch it - move clear!

Use good lighting

Store your thinners and bulk flammables in a closed and safe location

Have a fire extinguisher handy

If you think something is dangerous and stupid, it probably is - don't do it

other important thing: Clean up your room !

Indeed, I noticed that sprayed paint particles can be found around your working area and surrounding furnitures. So even If you are not using paint you can still breath toxic compounds. I try to clean after each airbrushing session

Concerning Isopropyl alcohol (constituant of Tamiya paints ex.), check this quote from Wikipedia:

Isopropyl alcohol is oxidized by the liver into acetone by alcohol dehydrogenase. Symptoms of isopropyl alcohol poisoning include flushing, headache, dizziness, CNS depression, nausea, vomiting, anesthesia, and coma. Use in well-ventilated areas and use protective gloves while using. Poisoning can occur from ingestion, inhalation, or absorption.

Isopropyl alcohol acts as a central nervous system (CNS) depressant. Its metabolite, acetone, is a CNS depressant in its own right. Around 15 g of isopropyl alcohol can have a toxic effect on a 70 kg human if left untreated.[9] However, it is not nearly as toxic as methanol or ethylene glycol. Isopropyl alcohol does not cause an anion gap acidosis (in which as lowered blood serum pH causes depletion of bicarbonate anion) as do ethanol and methanol. Isopropyl alcohol does, however, produce an osmolal gap between the calculated and measured osmolalities of serum, as do the other alcohols. Overdoses may cause a fruity odor on the breath as a result of its metabolism to acetone, which is not further metabolized.[10]

Edited by toniosky