F-15 Ordnance Questions

I’m looking to build a F-15C from the mid-1980s. Specifically 78-0531 from the 18th TFW operating out of Kadena AFB in Okinawa in 1983. 

img_9?1370011413

For the loadout, I’m going for 4 AIM-9s and 4 AIM-7s which would be standard for that time period. 

So the questions are:

1. Which variant of the AIM-7 and AIM-9 would they have been using during that time?

2. Would these missiles be painted white or light ghost grey?

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Edited by gb_madcat_sl

The AIM-7F entered service in 1976.  The AIM-7M entered service in 1982.  It was very likely carrying the AIM-7F in 1983.  Almost certainly not an earlier version than that.

Thanks for the info everyone!

Regarding the AIM-7F, they are the ones which look similar to the M but with only 2 brown strip antenna along the side of the nose vis the 4 found on the M right?

Mark

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 4:08 AM, gb_madcat_sl said:

I’m looking to build a F-15C from the mid-1980s. Specifically 78-0531 from the 18th TFW operating out of Kadena AFB in Okinawa in 1983. 

img_9?1370011413

For the loadout, I’m going for 4 AIM-9s and 4 AIM-7s which would be standard for that time period. 

So the questions are:

1. Which variant of the AIM-7 and AIM-9 would they have been using during that time?

2. Would these missiles be painted white or light ghost grey?

Thanks in advance!

Mark

Could have been the AIM-7F or the AIM-7M; the Eagle could not carry the AIM-7E, the seeker was incompatible with the F-15's radar.  At that point the missile manufacturers were still transitioning from white to gray, especially for the AIM-7F, so you could have a missile with both colors.

LXEHyhf.jpg

gBp9wDE.jpg

The AIM-7F had two fuse windows (aligned between the fins) rather than the four of the AIM-7M, which had the fuse windows in line with the fins.  For the AIM-9 there was no difference between the Lima and Mike for modeling purposes.  The AIM-9 was more likely to be overall gray; although, for Desert Shield we had a bunch of them left that still had the aft fins painted in white which was yellowing.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph