1/48 DC-130A, VX-30 Bloodhounds

OK, I think I'm just gonna call this one done. Going back to the "In Progress" page (link below) , it looks like it's been about a year or so working on it, with a break or two in there to build a couple of smaller projects.

This is aircraft 497, the last DC-130 used in combat. On the opening night of the 2003 Iraq war, it took off out of Masirah , Oman and launched three BQM-34-53 drones. Five BQM-34s were modified specifically for the job, two being launched from ground mounted units and the remaining three from 497...which is why I only mounted three drones. I recently found the photo below of her taxiing out on the mission.

DC-130_BQM-34-53.png

On to the model:

The kit drones, modified some to -53 type

IMG_8508.jpg

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_4759.jpg

IMG_5351.jpg

The Drone Control Operator stations. I made a master, and cast three other;

IMG_4731.jpg

IMG_2035.jpg

IMG_2168.jpg

IMG_5318.jpg

It was a lot of work and took longer than I had anticipated (a lot of time shooting yellow paint! . ) Not a prize winner but it'll still make the trek out to the Nats in August with me...I just gotta find a big box to put it it! I

Edited by 82Whitey51
  • 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

Absolutely NOICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I had one of those kits and sold it at the last Omaha Nats. I knew I would never build it. After seeing yours, I'm glad I sold it. I couldn't match the results you got.

Haaaaa!! Thanks man. I'm sure you could have pulled it off. I don't think I'd do all the interior work if I did it again.

Nice to see this one finished. You did awesome work and the final result shows. Now, to find a display place for it without getting dusty...hmm lol. That is a challenge we all face. Especially as big as this kit. Thanks for share and cannot wait to see what comes next. ;) Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Andy, I saw the DC-130 at IPMS Nats in Chattanooga.  I took several photos.  Very impressive build with the interior and the modified drones.  It looks really nice!   I was only there for a few hours on Friday before seeing the grandkids and picking up my son on his cross-country helo flight.  How'd you do?  R/ Dutch