1/48 Tamiya F4U-1D with extras

If it isn’t too late, you can make your own MLG spring by wrapping one piece of fine wire around another piece of wire or plastic strip. Might take a couple of attempts to get it to look right but it does add to the appearance. 

Bryan

1 hour ago, Close Enough said:

If it isn’t too late, you can make your own MLG spring by wrapping one piece of fine wire around another piece of wire or plastic strip. Might take a couple of attempts to get it to look right but it does add to the appearance. 

Bryan

That’s an awesome idea- I did start painting it up, so I will put that in the bag of trick for next time!

Steve

Update 8/7

I finished painting up the main landing gear.  The overall shade is Mission Models Duraluminum with details picked out in testers Chrome Silver and various Vallejo metallic shades. The tie downs were painted red and the brake lines off black.  

2AxGxBy.jpg

IQo71Uy.jpg

zJBA83Y.jpg

The wheels were painted a brighter shade - Game Color Chainmail Silver- to add some contrast.  These might be too bright but we will see after a wash.  

RGjBt1d.jpg

Happy hump day!

Steve

On 8/20/2019 at 7:50 PM, Ikon said:

Wonderful gear legs and your bays are great!

Another idea for the springs on the legs is guitar string.

Thanks!  I will keep that in mind next time for sure. 

8 hours ago, EagleAviation said:

Superb work on the landing gear. Are you going to add rivets to the fuselage and wings? 

I wasn’t planning on it at this point, however, I am adding AK Lenses and Master 50 cal barrels to the wings and I will try to replicate the plumbing in the wing fold- I purchased some TopStudio resin hose connectors for this purpose.  

Also, right now the Corsair is on the back burner as I am very deep into my Eduard P-51D build- it’s a fantastic kit!

Steve

• 1 month later...

10/12

Greetings everyone!

With the P-51 completed, attention now shifts back to the Tamiya Corsair.  I have been working on restoring a lot of panel lines and rivet detail on the main fuselage lately and this kind of work is rather boring, tedious, but necessary.  

On a detail note, I decided to try and spruce up the kit fuel tank a bit by adding the missing hatch detail.  First, a picture of the real deal from the Boeing Museum of Flight

EEAXPjm.jpg

I drilled out a corresponding hole on the kit tank and backed it with thin sheet styrene. Then, I punched out a few 4.5mm discs from plasticard and made an attempt at replicating the hatch.  I cut an outline of the hatch with Tamiya tape, secured with thin CA glue, in attempt to mimic the prominent raised weld circle around the hatch.  Here’s how it came out (and compared to the kit tank).  

l1aaF5Z.jpg

Hopefully this will look ok after some primer and detail painting.  I am only doing a single tank as I am adding a 500lb bomb on the other side.  I wish the sway brace attachment was molded separately and a bit more refined, but I’m going to leave the sway braces as they are.  

I also drilled out the large underwing light and replaced it with an AK 4mm white lens.  I am going to do the same thing for the ID lights on the other wing after trying out a combo of gap filling CA and AK Gauzy that wasn’t quite satisfactory.   I have a set of 1mm AK ID  lenses on order and hope to finish that up the wings soon.  

flKgO89.jpg

Thanks for taking a look!

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi

Glad to see you’re back to the Corsair!  

Thanks 11Bee, it’s a fun project and it doesn’t have a “deadline” like my Mustang did for the High Plains Con XXX.  The Corsair build is all about pushing some of my limits and learning new techniques by adding extra details!

Another quick update - this time, it’s about the Quickboost Mk VIII gunsight.  I think it’s a worthy upgrade over the thick kit clear part and I loved the iron fixed sight too.  It’s definitely finicky to finish and install.   The Tamiya kit features a clear glass pane insert behind the windscreen.  I’m assuming this was armored glass on the real thing?  I ran a bit of Tamiya clear yellow along the edges of the pane insert to give the glass an armored look.   Anyways, here’s a few shots of the work completed...

LgeQH7g.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi

Very nice work. The cowl flaps and that wire....I wasn’t looking forward to that in 1/32! Impressive!

If you are bored, check out my build.....

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/82028-tamiya-132-f4u-1-birdcage-corsair/

Thanks Brett.  I went through all four pages of your build thread and must saw your paintwork is fantastic!  I have thought about doing the 1/32 Tamiya F4U-1A in the future as everyone seems to agree that the Tamiya 1/32 Corsairs are among the best kits ever made.  Someday perhaps, but I have quite a few kits in the cue, including the new Tamiya P-38 next up on my bench 🤗

Thanks for stopping by!

Steve

Thanks Brett.  I went through all four pages of your build thread and must saw your paintwork is fantastic!  I have thought about doing the 1/32 Tamiya F4U-1A in the future as everyone seems to agree that the Tamiya 1/32 Corsairs are among the best kits ever made.  Someday perhaps, but I have quite a few kits in the cue, including the new Tamiya P-38 next up on my bench 🤗

Thanks for stopping by!

Steve

I’ve heard nothing but good things about that P-38.........I’ll be watching for that!

• 3 weeks later...

Update 10/29

Hello everyone,

Its been awhile since I’ve powered an update but that doesn’t mean progress on the Corsair has stalled.  I’ve been working on a lot of small details for the wings, so without further adieu...

I decided to use AK lenses for the underwing identification lights after a couple of other solutions didn’t quite work out like I’d hoped (drilling and filling 2mm holes with CA and future).  Anyways, I am much happier now.  Each light “can” is backed with a punched disc of styrene and the interior is painted Model Master Chrome Silver.  Then the lenses were added with PVA glue and sealed with future.   

q3xHzWb.jpg

Continuing with the light theme, I decided to cut out the position lights and replace them with clear plastic.  A crude chunk was glued into position, filed and sanded to shape, and the micro-drilled through the corner so I could add the respective red and green paint for the bulb.  I sealed the whole with PVA glue and gave the new light fixture a final coat of future.  

S9gtsbM.jpg

DBnkq7T.jpg

Part 2 below...

Edited by Falconxlvi

Part 2 

Next, I wanted to improve the details for the gun ports.  Tamiya does not provide any barrel detail, opting for a simple hole on the wing where the business end of a 50 cal should be.  I felt inspired to mimic the actual look:

HxuHYtT.jpg

Master Barrels to the rescue!  I bought two sets of Master’s P-51 Barrels to obtain six of the recessed style 50 cal barrel I was after.   

KkA5Itx.jpg

These barrels have a diameter of roughly 1/16” and so the kit gun ports need to be drilled out slightly to accommodate them.  In the picture below the top wing’s ports have been drilled out and the bottom are stock.  It’s not much of a difference but a 1/16” bit will allow the Master barrels to slide right in with minimum pressure.  

BijAbpy.jpg

Each barrel was pushed into position basically flush with the leading edge and then secured from the inside of the wing with thin CA glue.  

DKAmb6K.jpg

The barrels are two piece affairs- the outer brass housing and then a slightly narrower inner piece that drops in (secured again with thin CA) and is tipped with a scale barrel - they are awesome!  

37r9E8C.jpg

Finally, I am doing a macabre job of adding  the various hydraulic lines and valves for the wing folds.  I bought a set of resin valves and connectors for model cars from TopStudio and used them / butchered them for my purposes.   

iPEYpQ2.jpg

And here is what I am attempting to replicate in the wing fold:

hGONNip.jpg

VpbJXUc.jpg

cNrV20m.jpg

Using 0.2mm and 0.4mm lead and copper wire, I’ve come up with this:

nnNLKCm.jpg

And kind of an idea of how this will come together - obviously some of the wires will need to be trimmed to fit:

9tgkZl6.jpg

So, that’s where I’m at with it!  I hope to get some paint on the wings soon and see if the detailing in the wing fold looks alright. It’s kind of a mess but I’m not sure how much will actually be visible anyways.  Thanks for stopping by!

Steve

53 minutes ago, 11bee said:

You're doing some high-end work there Steve.   Those details on the wingfold really add to the project.

Thanks 11bee- it’s a little bit messy but I’m learning a lot about adding details and and adding some water to my “experience” bucket.  

Glad to see you come back to this build; I like the work you are doing with the wing fold, brilliant idea using those hose fittings.

Regarding the cannon barrels, I thought they were staggered and not flush with the edge of the wing, version dependent?

I'm enjoying this build, thanks for sharing.

Carlos

4 hours ago, cruiz said:

Glad to see you come back to this build; I like the work you are doing with the wing fold, brilliant idea using those hose fittings.

Regarding the cannon barrels, I thought they were staggered and not flush with the edge of the wing, version dependent?

I'm enjoying this build, thanks for sharing.

Carlos

Thanks Carlos,

I guess I’m not sure about the barrels being staggered.  Admittedly the picture I used as a reference turns out to be from an F4U-4, so I’m not sure if it would look the same on the F4U-1D.  There doesn’t appear to be a stagger where the barrels protrude on the reference picture so I just tried to match the picture.  

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well this build is really bogging down with the rockets.  I’ve tried a couple of different attachment methods (using wire pins) but due to the very fiddly nature of the Eduard HVAR mounting brackets and how warped some the rocket bodies are despite my best attempts at straightening them, I have decided to leave them off and will incorporate them into a deck diorama at some point down the road.  I think this is better than trying to align 8 slightly out of round rockets with minuscule attachment points.   🤷‍♂️  Paint soon...I hope 😜

Steve