1/72 Academy F/A-18C Gear question

I've seen other posts claiming that the Main Gear of the Academy Legacy Hornet is wonky.  I haven't started it yet, but I can't tell what the issue is by looking at the sprue.  Does anyone have a work-around (other than using another kit's parts)?   What's the issue?  Bad angle?  Wrong shape?  I'm looking at references, but it's hard to tell without actually gluing them on...and then it's too late.   🙂

Maybe I'll snag the gear from my Hasegawa Super Hornet.  Should be the same.

Edit:  After a quick search, the main gear is NOT the same on the Super.  Guess I'll be doing some fixing on the kit parts.

Edited by tn_prvteye
On 7/3/2019 at 7:12 PM, tn_prvteye said:

Maybe I'll snag the gear from my Hasegawa Super Hornet.  Should be the same.

Edit:  After a quick search, the main gear is NOT the same on the Super.  Guess I'll be doing some fixing on the kit parts.

Hello, 

If I has to go for a fix, I'd try with the Hasegawa or Italeri Legacy Hornet gear if you can find some. 

Cheers...

Eric B.

Scale Aircraft Conversions make replacement gear for both the Hasegawa and the Academy kits.  They are just direct copies in metal.  If you can't find a donor, then try the Hasegawa set.  The difference is pretty striking, here's both so you can see the difference:

Hasegawa

Academy