Kitty Hawk AH-1Z "Viper" 1/48 (finished)

9 hours ago, Sarathi S. said:

303 are... special.  Oh so special.

Teaching baby zero’s cannot be easy. Kinda like teaching middle schoolers. All awkward and gangly, with a little bit of knowledge thinking they know everything. 

I was thinking about adding some kind of padding to the seats, bu t I had to face the fact that I suck at adding stuff to my models, so I took a different road and IMHO it worked pretty good, you be the judges

WhatsApp Image 2019-08-05 at 20.13.46

WhatsApp Image 2019-08-05 at 20.13.47

WhatsApp Image 2019-08-05 at 20.13.47(1)

So all I did was, painted the seats Gloss Black with a "thik" layer, and left it to dry for about a half hour, then I pressed a Jeans label against it and voila!

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-22 at 18.19.44

I had to do it twice cause after an hour the impression began to fade away, I guess the paint self levels it self, but pressed it again and the result is there, What do you guys think?

22 minutes ago, Rotorman said:

What a great idea. Works for me. Fade top seat  and bottom front  seat a bit to give a some depth if u want.

I will give it a try for sure! even thoug I'm scared of ruining it lol!

Thnx for watching!

21 hours ago, Rotorman said:

No pain no gain. 

Unfortunatly the build is moving faster than this thread so the Viper is a bit ahead and the green house is already closed, didn't dare un-building it to do what you said, but I'll give it a try on next seat for sure!

BTW if you go for a modular build as I did, you won't have to worry about fitting, I just had to trim a little bit of the lip and the placement was really smooth and it looks really good! no filler was used, here a dry fit pic

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-08 at 17.06.51

Then I moved to the gloss layer and wash, I know is a bit "harsh" but as I mentioned before, I need some dirt on my models so...

IMG_2411

IMG_2389

BTW the inside of the air intakes is gonna be painted further ahead...or I'll try to put a cover, cause there are a couple of sink marks and a seam that is almost imposible to cure, keep that in mind, cause it is visible from the outside!

3 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

Saving this as a guide for future Zulu builds. Great work Kike!

Great! I take more pics than I show, so if you ever need something that is not posted, chances are I have it documented, and don't hesitate to give me a holler!

Since my painting technique is 40% technique and more than 60% luck, lol, I was affraid of not beeing able to continue with the same pattern and maybe a difference would be visible but I don't think so! or maybe I just don't want to see it hehe

IMG_2401

IMG_2402

It's always been really hard for me to paint black parts and give them a faded look, for some reasson it just doesn't happen, This time it wasn't so bad tho

IMG_2406

And finally I got to decals! they are a bit on the thick side but Micro set and Micro sol did the job well!

IMG_2466

And I guess/hope it is starting to look like a Viper!

IMG_2398

IMG_2397

Regards

22 hours ago, Whiskey said:

The lighting is showing a lot of shadows (I'm viewing on my phone thought) so I can't really tell but is it tail sitting right now Kike?

No tail sitting problems! but I have to say that I paniqued a bit when first stood on the skids it did sit back! until the rotor was positioned in its place, no seats, no wings, no canopy installed but it went back, even with the extra weight, so the line there is very fuzzy.

It stands like this!

IMG_2507

Edited by kike
8 hours ago, speedlimit said:

I really like the build Kike. The weathering really makes the scheme even pop out.

Eric

I agree with you! after the wash it was different! in a nice way!

41 minutes ago, strikeeagle801 said:

Really looks great. My friends and I helped get the references for the decals, and I am glad to see that scheme used. 

Aaron 

Ohh I wish I knew a couple of months ago!!! it's been so hard to find references online! and since I'm not familiar with helos it's been even harder! I hope I was able to make something worth your effort! in any case it's a very nice scheme!

unfortunately, all of the reference photos I had of that helo were on an external hard drive that died on me, and are now lost forever. You are doing a great job on it with the references you have. Keep it up! 

Aaron 

ps. Here's a couple of shots of it on airfighters. 

https://www.airfighters.com/photosearch.php?reg=168800

On 8/6/2019 at 4:29 AM, kike said:

I was thinking about adding some kind of padding to the seats, bu t I had to face the fact that I suck at adding stuff to my models, so I took a different road and IMHO it worked pretty good, you be the judges

WhatsApp Image 2019-08-05 at 20.13.46

WhatsApp Image 2019-08-05 at 20.13.47

WhatsApp Image 2019-08-05 at 20.13.47(1)

So all I did was, painted the seats Gloss Black with a "thik" layer, and left it to dry for about a half hour, then I pressed a Jeans label against it and voila!

WhatsApp Image 2019-07-22 at 18.19.44

I had to do it twice cause after an hour the impression began to fade away, I guess the paint self levels it self, but pressed it again and the result is there, What do you guys think?

Looks really good. What are the seat belts you used?