New 1/72 Italeri SH-3D Sea King - Fujimi plastic?

Yeah, is the Fujimi-kit, now there are pictures on the Italeri-homepage: https://www.italeri.com/prodotto/2829

I'm slightly disappointed, though, because the pre-view-catalogue listed several more decal-versions, including Italy and Brazil (if I'm not mistaken),.

[5.jpg

And now there are only two US-versions (nice ones, though) and a Royal Navy version, which seems a bit strange for me...

Ok, who will do both an Italian Navy and a "grey" US Navy-decal-sheet?

HAJO

On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 11:03 AM, Trojan Thunder said:

Yes the RN version is different.

They could have done the sole SH-3D that the Empire Test Pilots School operated for some years, VX-370

Yes, Sikorsky supplied 4 SH-3's to Westland for trials and pattern use, XV370 was one of them.

---------------------

Saw that on The Modelling News and thought it was so. Personally I don't build 1/72nd but my friend who do tell me the Fujimi kit is very nice and way better than the original Airfix version. Not sure how the new Airfix kit stacks up. I know Fujimi issued a couple different versions of the Sea King. German Marine and Belgium AF if my memory serves me correctly. 

So now is this a start of collaboration with Fujimi we might see some of their other nice kits moulded by Italeri? Here in Canada Fujimi is really hard to come by but Italeri is thick on the ground. 

The original Fujimi is still a decent kit especially for its flexibility but nothing touches the new Airfix, the only downside being that the Airfix is  clearly a Westland built machine and not a Sikorsky one.  

The Airfix-kit is really nice, but it lacks some detail on the outside in my opinion. Especially the surface structure looks "too clean" on the Airfix, while Revell has a lot of rivets.

This is the Revell kit (I scratched a Sikorsky Sea King out of the Westland):

Ro0L81w.jpg

This is the Airfix HC.4 Commando:

IMG_5989_zpsv8brmwk6.jpg

This is the Fujimi:

ucJmpsj.jpg

And this is the Sea King HC.4 of Dragon/Cyberhobby:

IMG_3189.jpg

HAJO

The Airfix one is a lot more accurate, especially around the Sponsons and engine housing/exhaust areas.

XV370 was Sikorsky built, but had most of the Westland features, like the bulge on the port side of the engine.

I was looking forward to the Argentine option they hinted at

On 7/6/2019 at 10:09 AM, Bulldog 09 said:

I like that they are re releasing the CH-53E in 72nd scale again.

Dave Fassett

I second that I'm not paying ebay prices ($500) for the 1/48 one.

Don

4 hours ago, ST0RM said:

Why we cant get a new CH-3 after all these years, just stuns me. 

Solid!!!!!!!!!!!  This man is on it!  1/48 too.  

On 7/6/2019 at 8:09 AM, Bulldog 09 said:

I like that they are re releasing the CH-53E in 72nd scale again.

Dave Fassett

I built the Revell rebox of the -53E a million years ago.  

You can find it in the Hyperscale Galleries.  (Won't let me post a link for some reason.)  

• 3 weeks later...

Beware of the Royal Navy option - I don't know how Italeri came up with the quoted FS595 equivalent for RAF Blue-Grey, but it's not even close...

....also, XZ578 was built new as a HAS.2 with six-bladed tail rotor (included in the plastic), but is captioned as a HAS.1 and shown with the five-blade rotor...

....in any case, the kit isn't correct for a Westland version (and never has been in any of Fujimi's boxings) - no third generator bulge, wrong style intake guard...

In addition, the Italeri release includes the starboard MAD sponson, but not the corresponding longer port one, making later Sikorsky variants difficult...

....they could have left out the Westland bits, kept all the SH-3H/HSS-2B ones, and offered a more accurate Italian option than the British one they went for...

10 hours ago, andyf117 said:

In addition, the Italeri release includes the starboard MAD sponson, but not the corresponding longer port one, making later Sikorsky variants difficult...

....they could have left out the Westland bits, kept all the SH-3H/HSS-2B ones, and offered a more accurate Italian option than the British one they went for...

Dammit, you´re right about the missing sponson! That sucks!

Hopefully there will be a different re-issue in the next years.

HAJO

3 hours ago, Anders_Isaksson said:

Hmm, I’m a bit confused.

is this Italeri/Fujimi release still good for a standard low-viz US Navy machine?

No - a 'standard' low-vis USN aircraft would be an SH-3H, which had extended sponsons on both sides. The Italeri release includes the starboard one with the towed MAD, top right here:

5ltoje3e5z3NdRHRdbmNuXqaqygINOmzLKomvdWA

That sprue also provides the longer horizontal stabiliser - but the port sponson is not supplied, you only get the two original short ones:

csWHe6zPGcckVKm8FYixeJo6YkHsL8y8iPB2Sv7i

The other main sprue with the original short stabiliser is seen here:

LoqAm7QN9GiohRS13mFfzlC10fj7AggmX6a9sxtw

As per my preceding post, they'd have been better off leaving out the Westland-specific parts (top left of top pic), and including the longer port sponson which came in both the Fujimi SH-3H and HSS-2B kits and the Testors issue SH-3H, seen lower centre here:

W9bmBFP.jpg?1

....as per HAJO's reply, the only low-vis USN aircraft that can be made from the box are non-ASW ones, such as the 'Desert Ducks' and other SH-3Gs of HC-2...

Edited by andyf117
On 7/9/2019 at 7:57 PM, Hajo L. said:

And this is the Sea King HC.4 of Dragon/Cyberhobby:

IMG_3189.jpg

That one's not looking finished yet, which is a good thing - the generator bulge is on back-to-front...

7 hours ago, andyf117 said:

That one's not looking finished yet, which is a good thing - the generator bulge is on back-to-front...

Uoops...

It has been finished some years ago. Damn wrong instructions....

What are the "Desert Ducks"?

HAJO