AH-64 engine pod question

Hello,

I'm making two Hasegawa 1/48 AH-64s, one as a US 'D' and the other as an IDF 'Saraf'. I have a quick question: under the engine pods there are two little doors that Hasegawa mould shut (see photo below under white arrow for the open doors). Photos seem to show they are open when the aircraft is powered down and on the ground and Wingman/Isracast provide PE doors for these. Are these *always* open when unoccupied and on the ground or can I get away with not having to make my own doors for the stock US 'D' model I'm making?

doors.jpg?w=1000

Thanks for your help.

Jon

15 hours ago, ChernayaAkula said:

They're engine cooling louvers. They open on engine shut-down and are closed when the engine's running again. SOURCE (on page 6-31)

Many thanks indeed. I'm off to scratchbuild some doors 🙂

Jon

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

They actually close based on vacuum generated by the engine shortly after start. The pistons sometimes would stick, and they need a little tap to get closed all the way. 

I am going to be working on one of these Hasegawa kits to build a replica of the aircraft I worked in Afghanistan. It's a great looking kit, but missing some stuff we had on ours. Plan to join up here and post progress.