EF-18G Growler "Luftwaffe" - "G" stands for "German"!

You may have heard, the Luftwaffe needs a replacement for the aging Tornados, and while the F-15 and the F-35 have been already removed from the competition, the F-18 (it´s unclear in which configuration, EF-18G would be good since it would fulfill the Tornado ECR-role - and it already has a "G" in the dsignation 😉 ) and an updated Eurofighter are still in the game. So, I will assume the EF-18 has "won" and will do a german Hornet!

Hkb8FYe.jpg

I already did the instrument panels and the cockpit tub.

niZBSCX.jpg

I realized that this must be some sort of "snap together"-kit, since most of the parts have some pin that fits into their counterpart. Details look good, though, and it looks like this will be a rather quick build.

HAJO

It would be indeed possible to build the kit without glue! You can snap all parts together.

n2LYwlz.jpg

But I still used glue, just to be sure, and to close smaller gaps.

czjgi0O.jpg

HAJO

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for pausing so long, but I was on vacation and had another kit taken with me. But I´m back and was able to do quite a lot during the last few days. Basically because the kit literally snaps together, the montage of the gear was a thing of 5 minutes...:

npUklez.jpg

I already painted the first layer, using a slightly lightened up Revell 374.

Since I do want some sort of camoflage on the aircraft (and not do a boring "one-grey-only"-bird) I oriented myself on the Norm 90J-scheme of the F-4F. I shortly thought about doing a Norm 81A or B, but that would be a bit too retro for a 2020+ aircraft... That´s why I only added a slightly darker grey:

zSkAg5S.jpg

HAJO

The crew has taken their places:

HKFHnr1.jpg

"Schwarz-Rot-Gold" ("Black, Red, Gold") is a must for my Luftwaffe-aircraft!

DMFyLuG.jpg

Canopy closed!

K82USe1.jpg

GLsfBwn.jpg

And some clear to prepare the model for decalling tomorrow!

wryOXcH.jpg

HAJO

Edited by Hajo L.

In the meantime I was able to apply the decals. But I have to tell you a story that came with the decals...

I´m pretty happy with my life, but this time even I got jealous!

Of course the EF-18G needs some German markings, and so I went through my stash and "voilà" - that fits - dug up the Revell decal sheet of the "Lechfeld Tiger" of 2011. Looks like this:

39268_1313335456.jpg

A short research reveiled that the aircraft is listed as "located in the city of Erding". Okay, what does that mean? Can I use the registry of 46+33 on my Hornet, or is the Tornado with this number still active?

So i have a collegue and friend who´s a German Air Force Officer, a jet-driver. I ask him if he knows anything about this specific Tornado. The answer comes quick: That bird is practically out of service, the big fin has been removed and is a decoration in someones garden. And the registry is "blocked". "Huu, blocked??", I´m wondering and ask him again. "Yeah, I hold the privileg for that registry!" he answers with a smiley. And he adds: "Check the canopy!".

So I zoom on the canopy... I see the names of the pilots...

There is his name on the canopy!!!

I check the decal-sheet - there is his name as well!!!

My buddy has his own freakin aircraft-model!!!!

Damn.... 😉

Well, it´s an act of honour for me to put his name on my EF-18G now. I only cut off the rank, he´s no Hauptmann (Captain) anymore. 🙂

This is how the model looks right now, still needs some matt clear coat:

SutkfLj.jpg

And to use some pieces of the cool Tigermeet-decals, I put a couple of them on one of the ECM-Pods:

B6aQdNC.jpg

Looks cool, I think.

HAJO

Thank you!

It´s done now:

fl227ob.jpg

Now only the the Luftwaffe needs to purchase a couple of these beasts... 😉

71GlnRE.jpg

Hard to see, but my buddy is flying this aircraft:

pLOrv7e.jpg

The tiger-striped ECM-pod:

gcT0SPP.jpg