Model Master B-52 Colors

I was perusing the local hobby shop and discovered these two colors from Model Master:

2027 Dark Green (B-52) FS 34096

2026 Dark Drab (B-52) FS 24091

does anyone know what these are?  I bought them out of curiosity, but havent seen any B-52 schemes that call for these.  

I haven’t tried them, but agree they don’t line up with what I’ve seen for references for the actual paint schemes. 

The original boxings of the 1/144 Revell G had erroneous color callouts that appear to be loosely based on the Strategic scheme of the 1980s; I can only speculate that perhaps these colors were meant for those kits. I don’t have the original H boxing, but the box art didn’t match up with the Strategic scheme very well. 

Jonah

2 hours ago, Gator52 said:

I haven’t tried them, but agree they don’t line up with what I’ve seen for references for the actual paint schemes. 

The original boxings of the 1/144 Revell G had erroneous color callouts that appear to be loosely based on the Strategic scheme of the 1980s; I can only speculate that perhaps these colors were meant for those kits. I don’t have the original H boxing, but the box art didn’t match up with the Strategic scheme very well. 

Jonah

Makes sense to me, thank you sir

3 hours ago, mike_45 said:

The original boxings of the 1/144 Revell G had erroneous color callouts that appear to be loosely based on the Strategic scheme of the 1980s; I can only speculate that perhaps these colors were meant for those kits.

I always thought they were for these SAC B-52s and FB-111 schemes which I think Jonah is referring to.

GYMMPtA.jpgAmxizR7.jpg

Let's straighten this out. The B-52G and FB-111A shown above were painted in what was known as the "SIOP" scheme. Camouflaged B-52s in the Vietnam war were also in these colors, but with gloss black bottoms and sides. The SIOP colors are:

FS 34201 greenish tan

FS 34159 blue green

FS 34079 dark green (also used in the tactical camouflage scheme)

In the late 1980s, a new, three-tone "Strategic" camouflage was put on B-52s and B-1Bs. The upper surfaces and sides were in 

FS 34086 olive green

FS 36081 dark gunship gray (also known as Europe 1 Gray)

FS 36118 guship gray

The upper surfaces and sides were in 36081 and 34086, the bottoms were in 36081 and 36118.

FS 34086 quickly faded to a medium brown. The weathered colors MAY have been how Testor came up with its color choices.

In 1988, they began to paint the bombers in overall 36081, then changed again in 1990 to the current overall 36118.

For more info on the B-52 patterns in these schemes, refer to my FineScale Modeler "International Color and Camouflage" articles in the September and November 1993 issues.

1 hour ago, ElectroSoldier said:

We did a thread about the B-52 and the colours used in its various schemes a few years ago. Search for it, its still there somewhere

I think I have read that one, but dont recall these colors in there, but worth a check again.  

1 hour ago, ElectroSoldier said:

I cant find any refs that show a B-52 wearing 24091 in any pattern

Neither can I, but faded colors perhaps.  

9 hours ago, Paul Boyer said:

Let's straighten this out. The B-52G and FB-111A shown above were painted in what was known as the "SIOP" scheme. Camouflaged B-52s in the Vietnam war were also in these colors, but with gloss black bottoms and sides. The SIOP colors are:

FS 34201 greenish tan

FS 34159 blue green

FS 34079 dark green (also used in the tactical camouflage scheme)

In the late 1980s, a new, three-tone "Strategic" camouflage was put on B-52s and B-1Bs. The upper surfaces and sides were in 

FS 34086 olive green

FS 36081 dark gunship gray (also known as Europe 1 Gray)

FS 36118 guship gray

The upper surfaces and sides were in 36081 and 34086, the bottoms were in 36081 and 36118.

FS 34086 quickly faded to a medium brown. The weathered colors MAY have been how Testor came up with its color choices.

In 1988, they began to paint the bombers in overall 36081, then changed again in 1990 to the current overall 36118.

For more info on the B-52 patterns in these schemes, refer to my FineScale Modeler "International Color and Camouflage" articles in the September and November 1993 issues.

Thanks Paul.  I will be building 61-040 as my father flew it when he was in SAC and as a youngster in the mid/late  80's it was at an air show at  Bergstrom that him and I attended.  I remember him telling me he flew that one and we talked to the crew a lot.  So I will probably do the three tone Strategic camo as I suspect that is what it was in when we saw it together.  

Thanks for the info gents, learn something new every day :)

Mike

Maybe these are the two greens that go with the tan that make up the colours of the B-52D during the Vietnam war.

Many people say its SEA camo but its not, and its not SIOP scheme either. even if you change the black undersides for white its still not.

Ive never been a big fan of the D model.

Maybe somebody with a monogram B-52D in the camo scheme could post what FS 595 numbers it says to paint it

I've been wondering this for 20 years.  It's not the Vietnam scheme.  Although, I think I've seen one diagram (without paint numbers) that's different than the rest of that standard schemes, so I'm not sure if there is possibly another one.  MM had already come out for the colors for the Strategic scheme, so I'm sure they knew what the B-52 colors actually were.  Since these paints have now been discontinued, I guess it doesn't really matter, but I've wondered - who's been buying them for the last two decades?

No. The BUFFS in the Vietnam war used the SIOP colors as I stated above. The D models had gloss black undersides, sides, and fin. The G models out of Anderson had white undersurfaces and SIOP colors on the tops, sides, and fin. They may not look like these colors as they faded and weathered rapidly, but they WERE the SIOP colors.

B-52Dweb1_zpsnig7iwpc.jpg

20 hours ago, Paul Boyer said:

No. The BUFFS in the Vietnam war used the SIOP colors as I stated above. The D models had gloss black undersides, sides, and fin. The G models out of Anderson had white undersurfaces and SIOP colors on the tops, sides, and fin. They may not look like these colors as they faded and weathered rapidly, but they WERE the SIOP colors.

B-52Dweb1_zpsnig7iwpc.jpg

Geez Paul, where do you find room for your B-52's?