Revell 727-100 to 200 Information

I want to do a Fedex 727-200. I have 2 727-100 Revell kits how much do I need to put behind the wings and how much in front of the wings to get this correct? I could hunt an Airfix kit if need be and use the Revell nose if that makes more sense.

Thanks

If you don't mind me asking and not to be rude, but why? When Airfix and Minicraft 727-200 kits are plentiful, why conduct surgery on two Revell 727-100 kits? There is a Minicraft 727-200 on ebay right now for $8 + postage.  

Everything I have read about the Minicraft kit it isn't worth dragging home. And the Airfix kit has issues with the cockpit forward. And with either one I would still have to buy another kit and sacrifice one Revell kit. And for what I paid for the Revell kits its still cheaper to cut two up to make one than buy either a Airfix or Minicraft kit too.

In addition to adding fuselage length, you’ll have to reshape the #2 engine intake. It will probably be a lot easier to go from a -100 style to the -200 style than the other way. If you can find the clear cockpit part from a Minicraft or Daco 737, it will go a long way to making the nose area of both the Revell and Airfix kits look better.

Ben

20 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

In addition to adding fuselage length, you’ll have to reshape the #2 engine intake. It will probably be a lot easier to go from a -100 style to the -200 style than the other way. If you can find the clear cockpit part from a Minicraft or Daco 737, it will go a long way to making the nose area of both the Revell and Airfix kits look better.

Ben

I have a dozen or so Daco 737s so that shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks

Tom

On 7/13/2019 at 10:40 PM, Dutch said:

Alright. I have some line drawings somewhere and will see if I can find them, scan them and post them here or email them. In the meantime try searching airlinercafe.com. 

Cool that will help.

Thanks

Tom

20 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

Ben

Tom,

Ben is correct.  The #2 center engine intakes are completely different between the -100 & -200.  On the -100, it is more of a vertical racetrack oval shape.  On the -200, it is round (circular).  You will have to fair in a short piece of the right sized Plast-l-strut or Evergreen plastic tubing.  So again, why not just graft the Revell 727-100 nose onto an Airfix or Minicraft 727-200 fuselage?  

R/ Dutch

On 7/12/2019 at 5:44 PM, steel_tiger1 said:

Everything I have read about the Minicraft kit it isn't worth dragging home. 

I respectfully disagree.  Here is my result with the Minicraft 727.  It will win no awards, but it met my standards.  The article describes the changes I made to make it look more accurate.  The changes took less time than it would for me to bash two Revell 727-100s together to make a -200.  Good luck, Steel.  

http://www.scaleworkshop.com/workshop/boeing727222_1.htm

4 hours ago, AD-4N said:

I respectfully disagree.  Here is my result with the Minicraft 727.  It will win no awards, but it met my standards.  The article describes the changes I made to make it look more accurate.  The changes took less time than it would for me to bash two Revell 727-100s together to make a -200.  Good luck, Steel.  

http://www.scaleworkshop.com/workshop/boeing727222_1.htm

Nice build and build review, I prefer the Minicraft kit over the Airfix one myself. They are hard to find in these parts these days.

A bit of a tangent here, but I will toss in the comment that the 727 is a handsome little airliner.

One of the most attractive in my opinion.
Had the opportunity to fly on a couple back in previous century, even got to use the ventral air stairs once.

1 hour ago, southwestforests said:

A bit of a tangent here, but I will toss in the comment that the 727 is a handsome little airliner.

One of the most attractive in my opinion.
Had the opportunity to fly on a couple back in previous century, even got to use the ventral air stairs once.

Same here, I used to watch them do there trade here while on the flightline as a young RAAF avionics tech. Also flew in them a couple of times. One day I will get around to building my KMC kit attempting to correct its faults.

17 hours ago, Trojan Thunder said:

Nice build and build review, I prefer the Minicraft kit over the Airfix one myself. They are hard to find in these parts these days.

You are very kind.  The wings of the Minicraft 727 are way, way, way too thick.  But I did not bother with that. 

You're going to tackle the KMC 727?  You are a stone cold modelling hero.  I've thought of giving the Welsh 1/72 727 a go, but as soon as I buy it Big Planes Kits will issue one.  It is the irrevocable law of the Modeling Universe.  

3 hours ago, Dutch said:

Don Hinton is a master!  Bob Leonard is right there also.  Both beautifully done.  

Dutch, I am blushing.  I've admired Hinton's 727 for years, an amazing job.  In 4500 years I could not match that NMF.  

Bob,  

Quote " I've thought of giving the Welsh 1/72 727 a go, but as soon as I buy it Big Planes Kits will issue one.  It is the irrevocable law of the Modeling Universe.  "

Hah!  Kursad announces a planned decal release and kit manufacturers pop out  a new kit!  Just get him to announce some 1/72 727 decals and see what happens!

R/

Dutch

I cannot remember the length of the two fuselage plugs but seem to think they were 10 feet each - one forward and one behind the wing.  As noted the #2 engine intake will need to be reshaped.   The fuselage plug ahead of the wing is easy, but the one behind the wing is really tough because the lower fuselage curves up just behind the main wheel wells.  The conversion will actually take 3 727's to accomplish if memory serves me.  I agree the shapes and wings of the Revell kit are superior to the Airfix or Minecraft 727 kits.  It seemed back in the day, before Airfix retooled their 727-100 into a 200 and long before the Minecraft kit, most people  who attempted this used the Airfix kit, but I am not sure why.  Good luck 

You can't just add plugs to a -100 to get a -200.  There are other significant differences with the wing/body fairing, and the #2 intake is completely different.  Longer and cylindrical.  Far from an easy conversion.  You're going to end up with more putty than you do plastic.

st1,

Don't give up just yet.  Let me scan my 727 plans tomorrow and email them to you.  Send me your email addrees please to: vertol[dash -]107[at @]hotmail[dot .]com. I will send you the IPMS USA Airliner SIG 1/144 727 plans included in their newsletter circa 1999(?).  Some of the info is a little dated at twenty years old, but most is pretty good and still useful.  All b&w, sorry. 

R/ Dutch 

Okay, my scanner at work apparently works.  I t feeds documents in and makes a whirring noise and spits them back out with no harm done, but nothing is saved and no email is sent to my email.  Then is spits out a piece of paper saying SMTP connection failure.  I tried it twice, same results.  I will try again in a few days.  R/ Dutch