Airfix Spitfire FR Mk XIV conversion method ...

I went for throwing in the Airfix PR XIX fuselage into the Airfix Mk XIV wings. Adapting the Mk XIV windscreen to the PR XIX fuselage, with the characteristic crisp base to be made from putty, is a lot of work.

I also used the very clear, well-shaped Eduard Mk IX sliding hood (which does eventually fit the Airfix windscreen closed), but this is just a tiny bit narrow for the correct width Airfix opening (Eduard being too narrow by 0.5 mm, or one scale inch, from real aircraft measurements). After a bit of work, the Eduard hood finally works with the Airfix Mk XIV windscreen (matching rear arches after trimming the base of the Eduard hood), and the Airfix XIV windscreen is, incidently, correctly slightly more steeply raked for the changed Mk XIV windscreen in real life, making earlier marks windscreens a bit hard to use, as depicted in most models (except the very steeply raked Eduard part, which looks wrong from above due to the lack of side window "splaying", owing to its excessive cockpit opening narrowness)

Absolutely superb work on the part of Airfix for the windscreen, demonstrating how far off is the too narrow Eduard in its too modest side window "splaying"... The meeting arches of both parts can still be joined, I suppose because I played around with the relative height of the two parts (maybe)... The fudge factor allows for it, but the Eduard windscreen part really looks odd from above, when you know how "splayed" the real thing is...

The round access panels in front of the canopy still have to be done... The Airfix to Airfix wingroot fit was oddly mismatching, but not unsound in terms of sit "symmetry": Still not for the faint of heart, and there is a lot going on in the wingroots, as if the PR XIX and the Mk XIV were from two different companies...

I preferred the PR XIX fuselage because of the moulded-on rocker cover bulges, and the apparent poor fit of the Mk XIV insert in front of the windscreen... But now. thanks to Paul,  I realize the "shadow" line does need a bit of tape and putty (plus the gas caps added)... The PR XIX rear window will need to lose height through masking...

I do have high hopes for mine. The video's solution does make sense, but is at least equally labour-intensive. 

Robertson

• 1 month later...

I've been working on an alternative method of creating a Spitfire Mk XIVc.  I like this method much better ...

I know there are a few individuals out there who staunchly hang on to the idea that you should use the Airfix PR XIX as the basis for conversion to the Mk XIV.  I think that idea is a bit limiting and, from my point of view no less work, but that depends on your comfort and skill level ... for those of us who grew up with Pinewood Derby cars ... adding a spine is by far and away the easiest with a minimum of surgery.  If you like to stay in plastic and are good about hanging on to fine surface detail ... I think the Eduard conversion is by far and away the best choice and the one that I actually find most appealing.  In any case, here is a short video illustrating a few of the differences and things to be aware of if you want to use the PR XIX kit ... and why a method using one of the more up-to-date kits will result in a more correct model ...

Paul

Edited by Paul Budzik

Loved your video reviews of the FR.XIV kit and I agree with every word.  Was thinking of making a high-back XIV by combining it with the Eduard Mk. VIII, and you've taken all the guesswork out of it.  Excellent  stuff!

The easiest way to a high back is to diagonally cut the rear of an Airfix PR XIX, to adapt to an Airfix Mk XIVe front fuselage. Scratchbuilding the whole spine is extreme, in my opinion, especially if you use agressive lacquer paints...

The way to do this joining is to attach the tall back rear on one side, match it up to the unmodified lowback on the other side, then reverser the process.

The Eduard Mk VIII wingroot fits amazingly well the Airfix Mk XIVe, but still requires a lot of carving in the wing's lower rear thickness: The Mk XIV requires the shorter span Mk VIII ailerons, so Mk IX wings won't work...

The advantage of the Eduard wing is much greater detail... Airfix wings are ok, but the guns are quite soft, as noted.

The Airfix kit really demonstrates how the Eduard windshield sides are really pinched too narrow...

R.

The fact that you think shaping a piece of wood, no larger than a couple of coffee stir sticks, is "extreme", pretty much says it all.  So perhaps your method is at the limit of your comfort level,  but I would prefer to not draw conclusions about the limitations of other modelers, so I like to present a choice.

As I don't have any more spare AF PR XIX and

as I want a XIVc., I have made my choice ...I'll go Paul's way.... 

Many thanks for your very nice videos Paul... I like the way you approach the hobby;

Madcop 😉