P-38 - Does anyone agree we need a NEW one?

All,

I have been a huge fan of the P-38 Lightning ever since I was little (I am 60 now).  I recall seeing a P-38 monument to Richard Bong in far north Wisconsin or Minnesota, as Bong was from that area, and my mom and I often visited way up 'der, as she was from Superior/Ashland, WI and we went to visit family often in my youth.  That airplane always made an impression on me.

There are so many fantastic brand new models of all kind of iconic fighter aircraft from WWII, and I have purchased many of the kits of a variety of Spitfires, a P-51D, a few Bf-109 G-6s, and others, all 1/48 scale, most of these quite recent new kits with new tooling.  However, it seems to me that one of the best fighters of WWII, the P-38, has been left out of the love-fest of these newly minted airplanes.  Perhaps the manufacturers think that enough P-38 kits are out there and available, but that doesn't explain the rational for the planes I mentioned earlier, some of which are still being brought to the market place.  Does anyone know if there are plans in the works for any of the major manufacturers even thinking about a 1/48, cutting edge technology kit of a P-38, any model at all?  Silly question, I know, as  that info would either be kept under wraps or would be heralded heavily by the company that would be planning the kit.  I just think that with all the amazing kits of the planes I've mentioned, by such manufacturers as Meng, Eduard, and Tamiya, to mention a few, somebody in that august group of model making companies should be targeting a brand new, cutting edge P-38, with, again, the technologies of slide molding, PE, pre-painted cockpit instrument panels, and perhaps that which means the most, improved kit engineering for an easy but accurate build.

Does anyone have any insight about the possibility of such a kit, or do the experts here in the ArcAir forums think that, perhaps, we are already there with existing kits?  Any thoughts whatsoever, or am I a lone cry in the wilderness about such a brand new P-38 kit being something that is really needed?  Anyone?

Edited by Curt B
1 hour ago, Curt B said:

Does anyone have any insight about the possibility of such a kit

In a word:  No.  Kit manufacturers don’t make new product announcements on ARC.

Edited by Sleepy

We do, however, need a new 1:48 P-38. Something by Eduard would be most welcome. As would an offering from Tamiya.  Even a new generation from Hasegawa would be leaps and bounds ahead of their already pretty decent lineup. Just my opinion of course. 

There was a discussion on HyperScale awhile back that indicated that Tamiya was getting ready to do a 1/48 scale P-38.  Based on what they have done with their Tony and Bf 109G kit, a P-38 from them should be outstanding. Cheers, Dave.

Need?  No.  While many would like to see a new P-38 kit (I wouldn't mind seeing one from Tamiya), the world is not going to stop turning if one doesn't turn up.  We're talking about plastic toys - we don't NEED any of them.  We WANT them.

I want one in the worst way, BUT!

* If Tamiya did a 1/32 kit, it'd be well north of $200! But be nice.

* My choice would be Great Wall in either scale. Still be pretty steep in cost.

* So who's left? Eduard? Revell? Hasegawa new tool, maybe. I want one, but don't need a second mortgage. Besides I need a new bamboo fly rod

Gary

Thanks for the responses, guys.  I hope we see a new 1/48, AND a 1/32 P-38 sometime soon.  I'm pretty sure that such a pane would get a lot of attention from modelers, especially if it was REALLY decked out, and super engineered like the recent 1/48 Tamiya Spitfire and Bf-109-G6.  Or, if one of the newer manufacturers wanted to hop onto it, but I'd prefer it be Eduard, or possibly Meng or Great Wall, if they did a P-38 like they did their P-51D OR F-15s, respectively.  Nonetheless, I'm guessing it's still a dream.  For whatever reason, the P-38 just doesn't seem to generate the same amount of passion that many other WWII fighters get. 

2 hours ago, Curt B said:

Thanks for the responses, guys.  I hope we see a new 1/48, AND a 1/32 P-38 sometime soon.  I'm pretty sure that such a pane would get a lot of attention from modelers, especially if it was REALLY decked out, and super engineered like the recent 1/48 Tamiya Spitfire and Bf-109-G6.  Or, if one of the newer manufacturers wanted to hop onto it, but I'd prefer it be Eduard, or possibly Meng or Great Wall, if they did a P-38 like they did their P-51D OR F-15s, respectively.  Nonetheless, I'm guessing it's still a dream.  For whatever reason, the P-38 just doesn't seem to generate the same amount of passion that many other WWII fighters get. 

It is odd it doesn’t generate the same amount of interest- especially since the top two American Aces flew P-38s in WWII and other notables like Robin Olds 🤔🤷‍♂️

Wow!  Amazing coincidence!  I had no idea.  I honestly can't tell from the CAD images that it's a P-38, but if you smart guys think that it is, I'm in!  I would be outstanding if my dream of a new tooled P-38, especially from a manufacturer like Tamiya.  I would be totally thrilled!!!!

3 hours ago, Curt B said:

Wow!  Amazing coincidence!  I had no idea.  I honestly can't tell from the CAD images that it's a P-38, but if you smart guys think that it is, I'm in!  I would be outstanding if my dream of a new tooled P-38, especially from a manufacturer like Tamiya.  I would be totally thrilled!!!!

It’s no longer a secret. The CAD image isn’t in this post, it is the nose cone. People have matched up the images in this link with P-38 drawings. It is definitely a 1/48 P-38 F/G/H and will be announced July 25.

Edited by Scooby