P-38 - Does anyone agree we need a NEW one?

1 hour ago, fulcrum1 said:

Most definitely. What variant shot down Yamamoto?

I corrected my post after reading up on P-38s. Based on the engine panels I think that the kit will be a F/G/H.

Prior to my edit I said E/F/H, which was wrong.

All I can say is that starting this thread was almost like a clairvoyant moment.  I honestly, truly had no idea that Tamiya had teased us with anything like a P-38 months ago.  I REALLY didn't.  So the fact that Tamiya has made this announcement literally 10 days after I started this thread is truly like miraculous...not to make too big of a deal about this. However, I am thrilled and amazed that this announcement has come on the heels of asking about it.  Anyone want any other airplane models that I can start threads about? 😄😄😄

Anyone hazard a guess as to when this may be available?  Septemberish?  Is there usually a model shop that gets first dibs on Tamiya releases?

Curt B, you get all the credit for this new P-38, well done.  I almost started my Hasegawa 1/48 P-38-F/G/H last week so I nearly got the credit for this. I actually just finished the Monogram 1/48 P-38 a couple of months before Hasegawa announced theirs back in the early 1990's so I get the credit for that one. A couple of new Tamiya 1/48 P-38s have been on the top of my dream list for decades. I had to pinch myself to make sure I was awake.

Now, if we can just get a good 1/48 F-86E... It seems that most of the markings are for the -E while the avilable kits are of the -F. I could never figure that out.

Also if we can just get new 1/72 A-7, F-100 and F-105 kits to replace the H.B./T. disasters the world will be looking OK!

Thanks, Alleycat, I'll take the credit for the new P-38 LOL  

A nice new tool F-86 would be great, too.  I'm not big on the model differences, but if you say an F-86E is what would best match the available decals, then let's hope for an 'E'!  I have the 1/48 Eduard F-86F 'Ultimate Sabre' kit, but it's not newly engineered, and a brand new one would be nice.

Curt, the big difference between the F-86E and -F are the wings. The -E has automatic leading edge slats while the -F does not have slats. There used to be a resin backdate set for the Hasegawa -F but that required major surgery where you cut off the front of the wings and grafted on a resin replacement. Most of the best markings and aces from Korea flew the -E so lots of decals have been done over the years. Not so much for the -F. It is not that I am a huge F-86 fan, it's just that most of the aircraft I like have been well served by the plastic modeling industry in the last few decades. It seems that now they are redoing the redos. No complaints here.

Back to the new Tamiya P-38. It seems to have everything, including weights to prevent tail sitting, like Eduard has done (P-39 family). Is there an estimated release date?

2 hours ago, Alleycat said:

Curt B, you get all the credit for this new P-38, well done.

Curt B, please post a thread about the dire need for a new 1/48 F-16B/D.  Maybe you can motivate Tamiya twice...  :cheers:

2 hours ago, habu2 said:

Curt B, please post a thread about the dire need for a new 1/48 F-16B/D.  Maybe you can motivate Tamiya twice...  :cheers:

Hi habu, you are funny!!  I wish it was just that simple, and that I had model super powers!  

Though this is off topic, and is jet model related, I'll respond...

I don't know that much about F-16s, honestly, but within the last several months, I got the 1/48 Tamiya F-16C/N Aggressor/Adversary (61106), which, I had been led to believe, was/is the best 1/48 scale F-16 model around.  I know this was released ~2009, and is a single seat version of the F-16, but outside of the 2 person cockpit, what's the difference between a B/D and the C/N version I have, and do you think the F-16C/N that I have is in need of an update in terms of build engineering or mold quality?

12 hours ago, Curt B said:

All I can say is that starting this thread was almost like a clairvoyant moment.  I honestly, truly had no idea that Tamiya had teased us with anything like a P-38 months ago.  I REALLY didn't.  So the fact that Tamiya has made this announcement literally 10 days after I started this thread is truly like miraculous...not to make too big of a deal about this. However, I am thrilled and amazed that this announcement has come on the heels of asking about it.  Anyone want any other airplane models that I can start threads about? 😄😄😄

Anyone hazard a guess as to when this may be available?  Septemberish?  Is there usually a model shop that gets first dibs on Tamiya releases?

Can you make a thread about us needing a new tool 1/72 SR-71? You know, for science...

On 7/15/2019 at 8:48 PM, Curt B said:

All,

I have been a huge fan of the P-38 Lightning ever since I was little (I am 60 now).  I recall seeing a P-38 monument to Richard Bong in far north Wisconsin or Minnesota, as Bong was from that area,

Richard Ira Bong was a Wisconsin Boy.

Born, raised and educated in Douglas County (Superior and Poplar Wisconsin).

18 hours ago, Curt B said:

Look for it in Sept and at HobbyLink Japan for first dibs.  👍🏻

Steve

8 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Richard Ira Bong was a Wisconsin Boy.

Born, raised and educated in Douglas County (Superior and Poplar Wisconsin).

My mom was from Superior, and also lived in Ashland for awhile, and ended up her childhood in a tiny Wisconsin hamlet called Sanborn.

1 hour ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Beautiful country up there

Perhaps...but even when I was 7-8 years old, I thought it was BFE up there.  Really out in the middle of absolutely nowhere.  In fact, the reason I live in Las Vegas now is that I ended up having to live at the edge of rural Illinois because of a job change, and I was able to tolerate it for about 2 years, and that was it.  I'd wanted to live in the southwest anyway, but having lived in the boonies for those 2 years was enough to make me decide the time was right to just go.  And so I did.  Best decision I ever made!

Edited by Curt B

9ATxBGm.jpg?1

The 1/48 Hobby Boss P-38 L is pretty easy to build. The entire main wing, booms, fuselage and rear wing are molded into two parts, top and bottom.

PInmmqj.jpg?2

As long as you use a lot of clamps the long horizontal seam will not be a problem and will require little filler and sanding.

• 2 weeks later...

Excuse my lack of knowledge of P-38 versions, but with Tamiya's G/F kit coming, can an E be made? I know that the canopy opens different and the engines are different, but externally is there too much of a difference to do?