1/48 F-14D Tomcat Tamiya + Kazan detail sets

Hi everybody,

here are few pictures of Tamiya tomcat with Kazan detail sets (spine set + wing box set) that is intended for Hasegawa kits.

There are few tips that those who decide to use this set with Tamiya might find useful.

First of all, this is one of the best sets I've seen so far. The dedication to quality is visible on almost every aspect of this set -from details, quality of casting, engineering  to instructions. I can see a lot of love put in it.

Since Tamiya kit has two part upper fuse, whilst Hasegawa has one part, you need to take steps in a specific order if you would like to make yourself a job easier. That is firstly due to the fact that if you cut off the panel of front fuselage part, there will be nothing to hold left and right part of the fuselage if you don't secure it somehow, and I'll try to explain what is the best method in my opinion.

The fit to Tamiya is so far very good. The pe frame of the spine is just a little bit wider than panel lines on Tamiya. I suggest that you freely cut along the panel lines, and after dry fit, you can easily sand the edges to make the hole a bit larger - but keep in mind that this might not be necessary because it depends on the technique you are using to cut the panel line - so dry fit is a must. If you cut along the panel lines and sand them a bit, if necessary, the frame will drop in perfectly. The only place that you shouldn't cut on the panel line is the panel at the very end of the spine, that I've marked with a red circle on one of the pictures, since the frame there is shorter for about 1.5 mm than tamiya panel.

I might be wrong about some things, but here are some conclusions that I came to while building the kit so far.
This is my opinion about the order of steps:

1. First cut all the panel lines in the rear part of the fuselage
2. Then cut about 1/2 or even more of the panels on the front part of the fuselage, you need to leave some since this is the only thing that keeps the front part of the fuselage together
3. Than cut panels on the intakes, install resin
4. Then make cuts on the panels (if you are using wing box set also) that should be removed to install wing box, but do not cut them completely because you need them to keep the two parts of the fuselage together.
5. Only then glue together the front and rear part of the fuselage
6. Then cut the rest of the panels that were holding together a front part of the fuselage, since it is held now by the rear part. You might consider to temporarily fix the front and rear part of the fuselage additionally  with styrene  stripes
8. after that you should install the resin parts of the spine completely.
9. Only now cut the panels that should be removed for the wing box. You can, and probably should, prior to cutting these panels, additionally fix the spine with epoxy resin or something since resin spine will be the only thing that will now keep your fuselage parts together, till now they were held together by the parts that should now be removed to install wing box.

The idea is to cut and prepare everything as much as possible before gluing together fuselage halves since they will be held together with a rather small area of plastic, so any pressure that you will use to cut or sand, after you glue them together, might result in breaking these two parts. So it is best to do most of the job before gluing them together.

For now, I don't see any major issues with fitting this set into Tamiya. I was very glad when I found that out. Spine set by itself is pretty much straightforward build.

Thanks for reading/watching, here are some progress pictures:

Tomcat-kazan-1.jpg

Tomcat-kazan-2.jpg

Tomcat-kazan-3.jpg

Tomcat-kazan-4.jpg

Tomcat-kazan-5.jpg

Tomcat-kazan-6.jpg

Tomcat-kazan-8.jpg

Tomcat-kazan-10.jpg

Tomcat-kazan-9.jpg

Tomcat-kazan-14.jpg

Tomcat-kazan-11.jpg

Tomcat-kazan-13.jpg

Tomcat-kazan-16.jpg

Edited by skuki
41 minutes ago, paulsbrown said:

You make it look easy, great work.

And what's that nice scraper you are using in the 6th photo?

thanks all

Hi Paul, it is tamiya precision caliper 74030. It is very nice since it is smaller thus easier to handle than those other that were available in stores near me

Those "horns" are quite sharp. Beside measure, you can use it as scraper and dotter (when you need  dots in regular order etc)

On those panels that are parallel you can use it to trim and fine tune to the exact measure. Mostly because of this tool I was able to achieve exact fit for the frame

7 hours ago, skuki said:

it is tamiya precision caliper

Thank you!  I could've used one of those earlier on an MH-60 I'm messing with....

I will follow this with interest, it's gonna look great.

Also, nice to see Kazan are back in the game. I have several of their earlier releases from way back, 1/48 Soviet jet stuff, it was nice then but this new F-14 stuff is a whole new ball game of detail.

21 minutes ago, paulsbrown said:

Also, nice to see Kazan are back in the game. I have several of their earlier releases from way back, 1/48 Soviet jet stuff, it was nice then but this new F-14 stuff is a whole new ball game of detail.

OMG! yes, I remember now - I wanted to buy soviet weapons from them, for my Su-33 that I've built (same as you did :)). I always thought that they are Russian company

They are obviously back with this set, on the big doors if you ask me

14 hours ago, skuki said:

They are obviously back with this set, on the big doors if you ask me

The set does look impressive. 

I have an old list somewhere still where they listed future releases which included a Su-24 complete kit and tons more weaponry.

This is a monstrous project, the level of details in this set is incredible. I look forward to seeing some paint on all those details and the hydraulic lines,   I will follow your progress with much interest, so keep up the good work!  :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Thanks 🙂

Here are few more pictures. I pan to use AMK wings, spread, with slats and flaps lowerd.

The pictures are of frame only dry fitted. In the meantime I've installed the frame, but I messed up front part of the frame so I have to do it all over again. Days of work gone in the wind. Fortunately I have spare frame so I will use it.... And it has nothing to with Kazan, it was just my fault, got to relaxed for just a moment.

That's all for now, regards, Marko

67451178-106564777337236-293225754688434

67176135-107675907226123-694882097394876

IMG-3899.jpg

IMG-3922.jpg

IMG-3915.jpg

IMG-3907.jpg

IMG-3927.jpg

IMG-3937.jpg

Edited by skuki

Hello, I did post these pictures on FB on arc and I hope it is not considered spm these days if I post them here also 🙂

Anyhow, here are few more pictures of the progress...

More or less, almost everything is included in Kazan set. But somehow some cables and pipes appeared to be too deep when you place the spine, while they should be almost touching the frame. So I've lengthened them a bit to appear a bit higher. I think that this is mostly because of me, because of the way I've decided to install the frame. Also, I've modified some of the resin parts, replaced some of them with scratchbuild parts and I've added some wiring. The spine looks very busy in real, and somehow if I did it straight from the box it would look a bit empty (but still complex). The frame is installed, and those three linkages in the center are just placed, not glued. Now the fun part - paint 1f642.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png