Revell 1/72 Memphis Belle

This is a bizarre kit, some bits done very well with great fit, some are just rubbish (e.g. the tail gunner canopy).  The instructions & decal sheet have a number of errors too, so lots of dry fitting is required to make sure the right bits go on the right sides, esp. with the engines.  And some parts, not enough are provided (e.g. handles on machine guns, so I scratch built them)

The weathering did not really turn out as patchy as I'd hoped once I glossed it, so it is a bit prettier than intended but I can live with it.  I also did a whole heap of scratching inside which is 99% invisible.  And I cut out 2 small nose windows on top rather than using the kit silver window decals that were.....well just lame.

The landing gear was cut so that it could be displayed in the up position - something the kit does not provide.

You have to really plan when you will put on all the fiddly little bits like gun barrels else they will get knocked off.  I actually separated the barrels from some guns, installed the breach part, then installed the barrels almost last.  Rear gunner aiming tube and pitot tubes have to be scratch built.

Main markings were airbrushed, not decals, though I have to say the decals in this kit were very user-friendly with a little Micro-Sol.

I built a base and airbrushed on the B17 skin with rivets, plus the nose art and name with a bit of artistic license.

And for the first time used perspex rod to make an 'in-flight' cradle.

ldIdcpl.jpg

ekP0y4n.jpg

9HbOkNm.jpg

VsWvGWR.jpg

VzMKb4k.jpg

GaHNLEa.jpg

sinnttG.jpg

• 1 month later...

Whatever problems you had with this kit... you sure seemed to have overcome them all! Great build of a piece of history. I got inside this particular aircraft at the Museum of the USAF in Dayton, while it was in restoration. The fuselage was almost whole, the wings were done and the engines were finished and lined up on stands covered in plastic. Very cool to see the parts finished and ready. Seven or eight years ago. Great memory!

Again, well done!

DET1460