New exhausts for 1/48 F-111s

3 hours ago, ElectroSoldier said:

I know...
He had already decided to make them when first we started talking about the other nozzles he had other things in the pipeline.

Ive got some of the other parts he's made, they are second to none.

That makes sense. When the thread first started, I think there was only F exhausts for an Academy F. Now there are exhausts for a HB F, which doesn't really exist as a kit, but, as I understand, can be built from the HB kit (?).

17 hours ago, Mstor said:

That makes sense. When the thread first started, I think there was only F exhausts for an Academy F. Now there are exhausts for a HB F, which doesn't really exist as a kit, but, as I understand, can be built from the HB kit (?).

After a fashion, in the same way as the Academy kit can be built as an F-111F.

Its hard to build as there is no Pave tack cockpit as far as I know.

• 3 weeks later...

Could someone post a pic from the can removed and cleaned up, from the connector side and not the rear view. I think i went a bit to far with removing the pins and part of the ridge. Just curious how you are going about it.

tx

• 1 year later...

Finally got mine yesterday after ordering in June 2020 - held up in warehouse and then a boat due to COVID. They're amazing and I have already modified one nozzle into the closed position. I simply scored the thin joins between each plate with a craft knife and then cut the joint out. I did not cut off the the joint overlap on the back. I then gently scored each plate at the bottom and bent inwards to meet it's neighbor at the top where they were secured with dab of superglue from underneath. I accidentally fully detached several plates through handling but these were easily reattached. The key was to get the ring started first with bent but attached plates. The result is not perfectly round but close enough for me. I may heat in warm water and try correcting. Handle whole process with care and cut at your own risk!

• 4 months later...

Has anyone already primed them ? I am in the test fit stage of my “A” and there is quite some distortion all over the different surfaces (ripple like). Wonder if it will go away under some paint. As for the metal, i figured out what needs doing with the 2 armed shapes, but the rods, that is still not clear. Instructions are vague in that area. Tx

never mind, i understand the rods, they attach from the actuators to the petals. For each petal that is directly neighbouring an actuator. The links attach petals in between. This is slik engineering of the real thing ! Now, this of course implies that the entire end piece needs to be assembled first before you can install these, also implying paint can only be slopped on after assembly. I do not like that very much, especially for the innards…

as to the one closed one open, i consider it beyond my skill to close the petals. I just purchased a sla 3d printer (to build some parts of the gun); but those petals on a ring may require some combination of parametric and sculpting skills. Again, likely beyond my current 3d skill set. After the gun bay, i wiil think of it. Those cans will go on very late in the build in any case…

the ozmod version comes with closed petals one side, as can be seen on the pic posted by mr vark. I have the set, upgraded with eduard metal, but will relegate that to one of my aca builds. The aca and ozmod cans can be made to fit the hb vark, i tested that. But the reskits are soooo superior…  if ozmod can cast petals closed, reskit should be able of doing so as well.  They do it for the tomcat etc as well. I think they overlooked this…

Edited by Stoned
Insight improved

We need new versions of likely all versions. Is there an area of the a model that does not have an issue ? I have hobby boss f-111 and f-105. There is so much wrong with both, i decided to blacklist hb as a vendor. No more kits from them.