Hi Jon,

I've worked on mine a bit not too long ago and put it back in the box recently... 😞

The fit of fuselage is okay but be prepared to spend a lot of time on getting the intake ring in the nose smoothed out.  I also had trouble getting the cockpit and instrument panel lined up correctly.

The trailing edges of the wings are very thin, you might want to use super glue on them.  Normal liquid cement might be too hot and will melt and distort them.  I squared off the main gear wheel wells and added some material to the doors to square them up - the main gear wells and doors are are more square compared to other models of the Sabre and I think the extra work is worth it.  Check out photos online or in the wonderful Ginter book on the "H" to see what I'm talking about.

The kit wheels are a bit soft detail-wise.  I bought a set of Pavla resin wheels to replace them.  

The canopy can't be accurately posed open since the "H" had a clam shell opening type canopy like the "D" model.  The kit canopy would require some surgery to pull this off if desired.

The wings don't want to fit together with the fuselage on my kit.  I've had to grind and sand the fuselage and wing roots to get them to [sort of] fit.  Hence the trip back into the box....

Good luck on your build and post some photos.  It might get me back working on mine.  I'd planned on doing a SEA camo ANG bird or perhaps even a USN QF-86H.

-Derek

Thanks. I have seen a build at BM and it looks not too awful bad. I like the H model

and have done some short run stuff but it was long ago. I'll give it a go maybe if I

get the courage up. jon

On 7/19/2019 at 11:59 PM, viking73 said:

Hi Jon,

I've worked on mine a bit not too long ago and put it back in the box recently... 😞

The fit of fuselage is okay but be prepared to spend a lot of time on getting the intake ring in the nose smoothed out.  I also had trouble getting the cockpit and instrument panel lined up correctly.

The trailing edges of the wings are very thin, you might want to use super glue on them.  Normal liquid cement might be too hot and will melt and distort them.  I squared off the main gear wheel wells and added some material to the doors to square them up - the main gear wells and doors are are more square compared to other models of the Sabre and I think the extra work is worth it.  Check out photos online or in the wonderful Ginter book on the "H" to see what I'm talking about.

The kit wheels are a bit soft detail-wise.  I bought a set of Pavla resin wheels to replace them.  

The canopy can't be accurately posed open since the "H" had a clam shell opening type canopy like the "D" model.  The kit canopy would require some surgery to pull this off if desired.

The wings don't want to fit together with the fuselage on my kit.  I've had to grind and sand the fuselage and wing roots to get them to [sort of] fit.  Hence the trip back into the box....

Good luck on your build and post some photos.  It might get me back working on mine.  I'd planned on doing a SEA camo ANG bird or perhaps even a USN QF-86H.

-Derek

Interesting - on mine the fit of the intake ring was perfect - I never had so few troubles with a F-86 intake.
On the other hand, when positioned correctly (ie the front gear well aligned with the opening in the fuselage halves) the intake duct did not join perfectly with the ring, there was a small gap to be taken care of (a bit of perfect putty did the trick).

And a careful alignment of the fuselage halves led to almost zero filler to be used/

20180914.jpg

I found the wing trailing edges a bit thick... I wonder if there is consistency in the successive batches of mouldings as some other people also had slight differences in the thickness of various parts. Didn't improve anything on the gear wells and doors though.

Wing fit: Same but not the same - fit troubles too but it was at the front end of the wing - I sanded as much as was reasonable (going further would have meant messing the wing roots) but I still had a step to take care of.

20181010.jpg

Other issues I had were

- the exhaust pipe - it has no positive positioning in the fuselage, and it's best adding some plastic bits to avoid it falling in the fuse.

- the PE - especially the ones under the tailplane, meant to represent the vortex generators. Too small, too cramped, I fought them and lost.

- about the tailplanes - it's a butt joint with almost no locator.

I choose the NY ANG scheme for a change from NMF.

f86h-c10.jpg

On 7/19/2019 at 11:59 PM, viking73 said: