KH 35th Huey Inbound?

Just as I was whinning about no large scale Huey in another post, I then saw this posted over on Brit Modeler:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235058339-135-bell-uh-1-huey-by-kitty-hawk-3d-renders/

No idea on time frame.   

I just really hope that KH will fix the big issues on their 48th scale kit (horrible divots which look like crap in 48th and will look even worse in 35th) and the waaay too thick access panels and reinforcing plates that scale up to 1" steel armor on the real thing.   To illustrate, see below.  It's from their N model Huey in 48th but these horrible details are also present on their D/H.

DSCN0093.jpg

Photo above courtesy of Dave Roof and his outstanding UH-1N build that can be found on this forum. 

That being said, given that KH has a track record of ignoring issues flagged by their customers, I'm guessing this will be nothing more than a scaled up 48th scale Huey, warts and all.   The CADD drawings linked above don't seem to be any different than the ones they released a few years ago.  Maybe some sharp-eyed Huey fans will find something new...

Regardless, it's going to be the only 35th scale version out there so it is what it is....

Edited by 11bee

They are old preliminary CAD drawings.  Don't think I didn't 'ring' them up when I saw the pictures.  They are the same pictures as the 1/48th scale pics.  Take the photos with a grain of salt.  Those pics are not the latest or greatest.  This was just an announcement.  Do I wish they handled these pre-release announcements differently?  Sure, but I don't pay the bills.  Kitty Hawk has gotten our list of changes based off the 1/48th scale kit.  I've been assured that Ray and I will see the CAD prior to cutting metal.  They want it to be perfect.  We want it perfect.  You want it perfect.  We want to be able to do any US UH-1D or H model.  If we can incorporate other countries I'm sure we will.  We want the ultimate large scale UH-1D/H and we want it perfect, out of the box.  I'm quite happy just to provide decal options for the kit.  

Floyd 

45 minutes ago, Floyd S. Werner, Jr. said:

They are old preliminary CAD drawings.  Don't think I didn't 'ring' them up when I saw the pictures.  They are the same pictures as the 1/48th scale pics.  Take the photos with a grain of salt.  Those pics are not the latest or greatest.  This was just an announcement.  Do I wish they handled these pre-release announcements differently?  Sure, but I don't pay the bills.  Kitty Hawk has gotten our list of changes based off the 1/48th scale kit.  I've been assured that Ray and I will see the CAD prior to cutting metal.  They want it to be perfect.  We want it perfect.  You want it perfect.  We want to be able to do any US UH-1D or H model.  If we can incorporate other countries I'm sure we will.  We want the ultimate large scale UH-1D/H and we want it perfect, out of the box.  I'm quite happy just to provide decal options for the kit.  

Floyd 

Wish ARC had a “Like” button.   

I hope they sort out the issue with the sliding cargo doors not sitting far enough back in the open position. That is the iconic Huey look. That took major surgery for me to fix,

That and the rotor issues (scissors and damper) were a big disappointment for me in the 1/48 kit.

If they are fixed for this - I will be broke...!

7 hours ago, 11bee said:

I just really hope that KH will fix the big issues on their 48th scale kit (horrible divots which look like crap in 48th and will look even worse in 35th) and the waaay too thick access panels and reinforcing plates that scale up to 1" steel armor on the real thing.   To illustrate, see below.  It's from their N model Huey in 48th but these horrible details are also present on their D/H.

While I completely understand the purpose and use of the photo, it would have been nice for you to at the very least credited it to me.

4 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

While I completely understand the purpose and use of the photo, it would have been nice for you to at the very least credited it to me.

Edited by UH-1Mad
2 hours ago, Dave Roof said:

You are absolutely correct.   Situation (hopefully) rectified.   If you want me to take it down, just let me know and I'll comply.  

8 hours ago, 11bee said:

You are absolutely correct.   Situation (hopefully) rectified.   If you want me to take it down, just let me know and I'll comply.  

No need to remove it and thank you. 

From over on LSP, it was noted that this kit will be "new tool".  You can read whatever you want into that but I'm really hoping that maybe we'll see some (all?) of the issues with the 48th Huey addressed and this won't be just a simple upscale of an existing model (which is the same that Dragon did when they released their 35th Huey years ago).   

I'm not optimistic about the divots though...  they made no effort to change this on their new Blackhawk, so I'm thinking that we'll see this "feature" on the new Huey as well. 

10 hours ago, 11bee said:

From over on LSP, it was noted that this kit will be "new tool".  You can read whatever you want into that but I'm really hoping that maybe we'll see some (all?) of the issues with the 48th Huey addressed and this won't be just a simple upscale of an existing model (which is the same that Dragon did when they released their 35th Huey years ago).   

I'm not optimistic about the divots though...  they made no effort to change this on their new Blackhawk, so I'm thinking that we'll see this "feature" on the new Huey as well. 

I certainly hope this is the case. I think there were enough errors in the 1/48 kit to make that feasible if they want to make it an outstanding kit. They certainly have the potential to do that if they listen. As long as Ray and Floyd are listened to all the way through the process, we could get lucky

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
5 hours ago, 11bee said:

Any update on this one?   Seems like they threw out a quick blurb on FB and then went radio silent.  

I just want some cad or something....! The anticipation is killin' me...

Edited by UH-1Mad
  • 4 weeks later...

Just saw the pic below on FB..  Just reminding me that I so want a decent 35th Huey!  Then we can have the aftermarket folks release a slew of resin to replicate all the crap that these birds flew around with (and maybe even a decal set with "Alfred E Neuman" stencils for the gunner's flack).

• 1 year later...

No Huey for us.     Panda/KH are closing down.  

Let’s hope ICM decides to release one down the road.     Guess I need to jump and purchase their 35th scale Blackhawk ASAP.  

Edited by 11bee
2 hours ago, 11bee said:

Panda/KH are closing down.  

Bad news as their 1/35 H-6 and H-60 series were pretty nice.  Hopefully someone else pics up their molds and continues w/their large-scale helos.

How is that possible?.

So many kits released from them. Didn't they do a Market study on what would sale and make money.

In any case that is sad news if true.

Edited by Rotorman