Movie Memphis Belle in 1/72 - which kit?

Hi all,

I know very little about the B-17 but have wanted to build a movie Memphis Belle for some time. I'd like to build the main movie Belle, N3703G, which is still flying in the US and I imagine some forum members have seen her in person - would it be best to start with a G and backdate (like the film production did with the real machine in 1989) or an F, and which kit would be the most accurate for this airframe as depicted in the film?

HoNew tool Airfix. Best "G" Flying Fortress in 1/72. Academy is simplified in many parts and it is batch betveen early and late versions  and Revell have minimal horrible Matchbox style ("trenches") details on nose. Airfix is winner.

But when you need in future a "real" Memphis Belle of "F" version you must bought a Revell "F". (Airfix make a "G" version only...)

And movie Memphis Belle is gourgeous, especially with gigantic Pin up on starboard...

I bought two Airjunk b17 kits when they came out. Ok but not great, and you can't back date it to an F easily. I think the older Promodeler kit would be the best start. Didn't Hasegawa do the b17f? The Revell would be easier to convert, but still take some work. Yet a late F is doable. Still like the Promodeler kit best

Gary

I can’t help you on a kit selection as I only build in 48th scale but I do know that kits world makes a decal sheet for  movie belle along with a few other cast mates from that movie. 99% sure it’s available in 72 scale and available on a few on line retailers as well as eBay. 

Edited by B-17 guy
4 hours ago, B-17 guy said:

I can’t help you on a kit selection as I only build in 48th scale but I do know that kits world makes a decal sheet for  movie belle along with a few other cast mates from that movie. 99% sure it’s available in 72 scale and available on a few on line retailers as well as eBay. 

Revell does a kit of that plane in 1/72. Might be the Promodeler kit in a Revell box. Spru Brothers has it in stock

• 2 years later...

I’m a bit late!

So, decals are sorted thanks to KitsWorld (I don’t actually have them but that‘s one box ticked).

Airfix is really nice but tricky to backdate to - what would I need to do for a Movie F?

Or, look for the Promodeler kit in its original form (or a Revell box) as it’s a good F.

Any advances? I acknowledge it’s an unusual request!

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2019 at 11:25 AM, AlCZ said:

HoNew tool Airfix. Best "G" Flying Fortress in 1/72. Academy is simplified in many parts and it is batch betveen early and late versions  and Revell have minimal horrible Matchbox style ("trenches") details on nose. Airfix is winner.

But when you need in future a "real" Memphis Belle of "F" version you must bought a Revell "F". (Airfix make a "G" version only...)

And movie Memphis Belle is gourgeous, especially with gigantic Pin up on starboard...

The Airfix kit is not going to work for a B17f without a good bit of rework to it. The old Promodeler may be the best one out there in 1/72 scale

gary