STRIKE TEST EA-6B 1/48 OOB headed for the display case at work

Kinetic 1/48 EA-6B dressed up in VX-23 garb circa 1991-ish.  You can dig around the in progress section to see the build in-progress...needless to say I am glad it's done and I'm ready for a beer. 

Cheers

Collin

DSCN8629.jpg

DSCN8627.jpg

DSCN8629.jpg

DSCN8626.jpg

DSCN8616.jpg

DSCN8612.jpg

DSCN8619.jpg

DSCN8624.jpg

DSCN8613.jpg

DSCN8611.jpg

DSCN8607.jpg

DSCN8614.jpg

DSCN8624.jpg

Edited by Collin

I just keep coming back to look at this model.  Chipping on the nose is well executed.  The intakes both inside and out are flawless.  Perfect gold tinting, not too over done as that is so easy to do.

Not sure if the mask just needs to be peeled, but the small triangle at the top of the front windscreen needs to be cleared:

Prowler_Final_Flight_division_flight_(cr

Edited by Jonathan S

There are a few things I messed up.  One being the canopy eyebrow section I missed (as mentioned above).  The other is I forgot to color in the AOA lights on the nose gear door.  

This kit fought me so much I have no desire to go back and correct (maybe I will get some mojo and correct the lights).  

Question asked about the tinting...that's a conversation I really should have with another beer in hand.  Looking over photos and having flown next to these aircraft in the fleet....the canopies aren't yellow and the gold tint really only comes out in very specific light conditions.  Normally it's a dull bronzey-dark(er) tint compared to the clear foward canopy.  I spent about two weeks trying every type of Future bath with food coloring or other tinted paints and it just plain sucked.  I couldn't get a smooth and clear (yet tinted) finish.  The tinting color in whatever fliuid I had either was inconsistent or highligted particles in the mix.  I was using pure Future, in a uber clean environment, and it took about 50 tries before I was somewhat happy with the results (what you see here)...which is basically a touch of Tamiya Smoke in Future dipped over and over.  Very frustrating experience.  

Collin

Collin,

A pat on the back along with a case of your preferred beer is in order for your perseverance in getting the canopy just right and finishing her up. The strike test livery is really eye-catching and one I considered for my current A-6 project. The items of concern listed above could probably be left as-is since only the trained eye could spot them and the overall presentation is more than good enough. Additionally, when reworking something already built, you always have to consider the risk/reward factor, especially if you don't plan to enter your model into a contest where the noted items could count against you.

Again, great Job!

-Elmo

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Andrew Maverick Taylor said:

Did you print those markings yourself or did you get them from a sheet?

The STRIKE squadron marking on the tail football were custom decals made up by David Aungst. The rest of the markings were scraps from different Prowler sheets and the numbers on the tail are from Steel Beach. 

Cheers

Collin