Wolfpak August 2019 Release

Gentlemen,

Here’s Wolfpak’s August, 2019 Release:

Sheet 72-128, GIANT VOICE.  This sheet starts out with options for 2 ADM-20 Quail decoys and one test drone.  Next up from 1976 is a Bicentennial F-111A from the 474th TFW at Nellis AFB.   The camouflaged version of the AGM-28B follows.    From this past February the latest markings for the F-117.  Could not find any information on the unit flying these jets or their mission.   The all-white painted AGM-28B follows with options for those which carried the SAC shield and those which did not.  As with the camouflaged one there are markings for two aircraft.  I was fortunate in receiving the markings diagrams from the SAC version of the T.O. 1-1-4 for both the Quail and Hound Dog.  The QF-100D on this sheet had a former life as Thunderbird ONE and is suitably marked.  Note the curved orange panel on the nose reminiscent of the artwork on the Thunderbirds.  It also carries “ONE” as the lead aircraft did and a small stylized Thunderbird insignia on the forward fuselage.  Last but not least is the Giant Voice Bomb Comp winning B-47E of the 341st BW, Abiline AFB, now known as Dyess AFB from the summer of 1958.

Sheet 72-129, ISN’T IT A DAISY, This sheet begins with “FLIR CAT” a F-14B from VF-103 when they were known as; “The Sluggers.”  A well worn and dirty A-10C with a plethora of mission marks from the 354th FS follows.   This unit participated in the Syrian operations.  The CAG jet from VFA-113, Stingers is our next subject.  Not many Pacific based jets have mission marks as this one.  Next up is a New Jersey ANG F-105B.  You may remember this unit for their later tiger artwork on their F-4E’s and KC-135R’s.  To wrap up this sheet a JA37 Viggen from the Swedish Air Force  in special “Petter Gul” markings. From 2003.

These sheets will be on sale next week for $18.50 each.

Mark S.

1WKWGrI.jpg

R3EqKLz.jpg

Trojan thunder,

As luck would have it I found a small quantity of sheet 72-065 in a bin.  It has a RB-47H and SAC F-84G amongst other subjects.  Will put it on sale at the same time I place these sheets on sale.  Think they'll go fast so place your order for 72-065 as soon as it's available.

45 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

Just out of curiosity, what's the story behind the 49th FIS Green Eagle on the F-100?

I believe the "Eagle" on the F-100 was to denote it being a former Thunderbird aircraft.

1 hour ago, Whiskey said:

I believe the "Eagle" on the F-100 was to denote it being a former Thunderbird aircraft.

Ahh, that would make sense. Thanks. I noticed it because I grew up in upstate NY and got to see Sixes at Griffiss AFB.

7 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

Just out of curiosity, what's the story behind the 49th FIS Green Eagle on the F-100?

From what I've been able to learn, 56-3093 was never a T-Birds jet. About 15 years ago, I worked with a couple of guys who had access to all of the F-100 service records to get a list of all F-100s (33!) that the T-Birds flew, and 093 wasn't one of them. I don't recall the details, but it was never based anywhere near Nellis. Dave Menard's theory was the plane had received an aft fuselage from an ex-T-Bird jet at some point. I have photos of it from when it served with the CT and GA ANGs, and it had the ONE on it back then.

The 49th FIS zap was probably applied after it arrived at AMARC. You can't see it in the one photo I have of the jet when it was with the GA ANG. It started out green and was later overpainted in white after the orange QF paint was applied. While it was still green, someone added "X THUNDERBIRD NO. 1" in white. Just forward of the bird, there was a blue RCAF 434 Squadron zap, too. This was also eventually repainted white, as was the ONE on the aft fuselage. I don't have any photos that show the green eagle on the port side of the nose, but I do have several showing it in white on both sides of the nose, just like Mark has on his decals.

Mark, great selection of subjects! 

Ben (the F-100 nerd)

Mark, 

Any chance of taking some of your 1/72 scale larger aircraft (B-47, B-52, C-121, C-123, C-130, C-135, C-141, P-3, P-8, 707/E-3/E-6/E-8) markings and scaling them down to 1/144 scale for us Braille scale builders?  I have both of your 1/144 sheets and have built or will build almost all the options on them, but I could use some more.  Several new kits have been or are being released soon for larger transports, bombers, recon & MARPAT aircraft.  Some or most, could use some better decals. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

R/ Dutch

2 hours ago, 11bee said:

F-14's were flying with LANTIRN in 1995?   I thought they just added the pod after the Iraq invasion?

Love those old-school SAC subjects! 

VF-103 Sluggers were the test squadron for the LANTIRN system. It was a model of efficiency. They took off-the-shelf tech and adapted the Tomcat to work with it. It was ready for testing in a matter of months. VF-103 Sluggers became the Jolly Rogers (that's a whole other story!) before they went on cruise on the Enterprise in '96. It opened up a whole new role for the Tomcat. If only every development process occurred like that!

12 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

From what I've been able to learn, 56-3093 was never a T-Birds jet. About 15 years ago, I worked with a couple of guys who had access to all of the F-100 service records to get a list of all F-100s (33!) that the T-Birds flew, and 093 wasn't one of them. I don't recall the details, but it was never based anywhere near Nellis. Dave Menard's theory was the plane had received an aft fuselage from an ex-T-Bird jet at some point. I have photos of it from when it served with the CT and GA ANGs, and it had the ONE on it back then.

The 49th FIS zap was probably applied after it arrived at AMARC. You can't see it in the one photo I have of the jet when it was with the GA ANG. It started out green and was later overpainted in white after the orange QF paint was applied. While it was still green, someone added "X THUNDERBIRD NO. 1" in white. Just forward of the bird, there was a blue RCAF 434 Squadron zap, too. This was also eventually repainted white, as was the ONE on the aft fuselage. I don't have any photos that show the green eagle on the port side of the nose, but I do have several showing it in white on both sides of the nose, just like Mark has on his decals.

Ben (the F-100 nerd)

Ben,

Great info.  Thanks for posting that.

Regards,

Murph

Darren and Ben,  Thanks for the information and clarifications.

Dutch,  Got to think about it.  1/144 hasn't been my strong suit.

Flyboyf18,  I will have plenty of these sheets at Chattanooga.

11 hours ago, 11bee said:

F-14's were flying with LANTIRN in 1995?   I thought they just added the pod after the Iraq invasion?

Love those old-school SAC subjects! 

If I understand correctly "FLIR Cat" was the first integration test aircraft for LANTIRN/F-14, hence the nose art.

Cheers,
Hoops

Edited by Hoops
On 7/24/2019 at 4:40 AM, Ben Brown said:

Ben (the F-100 nerd)

This is great detective work, Ben, thanks much for sharing!  I have the CAMPro set for this bird when it was with the GA ANG so it's fascinating to hear more backstory - the replacement aft fuselage seems like the most plausible explanation. I wonder if there's any record of a T-bird aircraft needing an engine swap while deployed at one of 093's confirmed duty stations?

Speaking of theories, I have one of my own concerning the zaps you noted as being "painted over" in white. I suspect what you may actually be seeing there is a "chalking" effect over time and with exposure/weathering. Basically the pigment and binder of the paint break down and leave a whitish film on the surface.  The zaps would be subject to this effect more quickly than the base airframe since they weren't applied using the "full spec" finish paints and/or process.

The "ONE" text on the aft fuselage actually gives some support to this idea since it would have originally been dark blue but all the ANG and QF photos clearly show a lighter color (but not white or a uniform gray). It's my belief that you're seeing the same phenomenon there, but with a slower breakdown over time due to better quality of the original finish, plus the "whitening" effect being reduced due to both the darker original color and the larger area compared to the zaps.

Just a theory, but it seems a lot more likely than someone taking time to paint over all the zaps in white when the jet was destined for the boneyard or a quick & fiery death.

Mark, thanks for continuing to provide quality products in "God's Own Scale" ☺

In this particular case, I don't think it was chalking paint. The paint for the ONE was removed a long time before the jet was converted to a QF, and it "stained" (for lack  of a better term) the metal, so it remained visible. It's definitely white paint in the later photos.

Cliff Bosse (spelling?) has some great close-up pics of 093 taken soon after it arrived at AMARC from the GA ANG:  Cliff Bosse's web site   It's about 1/3 the way down the page.

There is also this photo of 093 in a lineup of QF-100s while it was at Tyndall. Sorry, about the dang photobucket watermark. I saw a much larger version a couple of days ago on a wikimedia commons page and now I can't find it. In the larger version, it's definitely white paint. It's also pretty evident in a couple of other photos I have that aren't mine, so unfortunately, I can't post them.

QF-100_Super_Sabres_at_Tyndall_AFB_1990.

Thanks again, y'all, for letting me nerd out on F-100s! 😁

Cheers!

Ben