Guys,

It just occurred to me that I need to show a picture of what I mean. It's not the standard C-130 black demarcation area for the radome. It's the Blue Angel yellow area unique to Fat Albert. I need to know how to mask off and paint these complex curved areas. See pic.

I'm building the 72nd scale Blue Angels C-130 Fat Albert. I've got everything ready but I need some tips & tricks on how to mask off and paint the nose area. It's the area of the nose that's yellow with complex curves. Anybody know how to do this? I'm not really good (yet) with painting complex curves.

Thanks!

C-130T_Nose_ARC.jpg

Edited by pminer
Insert pic

Do you have a circle cutter. I'd be figuring out the diameter of the top curve, cut a circular mask that size apply the circle and then down stairs you could do similar, looks like a similar diameter circle to me

Conversely you could lay tape over that entire area and pencil the fillets in, using images/profiles as reference. Remove the section of pencilled tape and cut away the unneeded extras. With this way you could flip the design and transpose it to tape to do the other 

side.

You have me intrigued, I have all the gear to also do a BA KC-130F and I am tempted to have a go.

Honestly, for that I'd go with thin strips of tape to get the outlines down then fill in the areas outside with more tape. The thinner the strips, the more of a curve you can mask. You can either: A- cut some masking tape with a straight edge and a hobby knife or B- I think it's Chartpack that makes tape that narrow. I personally think that masking tape would do just fine and you wouldn't have to buy anything else. I would start at the bottom of the nose and work up. Have two pieces of tape cross at the point of the scallop. Mask one side and make sure you're happy with it then do the other side to match.

That's just my two cents. Hopefully it'll at least give you some ideas.

Oh, and paint the blue last! Start with a coat of flat white for good coverage. Then gloss white over that for the topsides. Next mask the areas to remain white and spray yellow. When that is good and dry, mask the areas to remain yellow, and then paint the blue. There are exceptions, but as a rule it is best to start with the lightest color then go to the darker colors.

Consider a light coat of clear gloss along the tape edges before you spray the blue. It will help prevent the blue from creeping under the tape. Be sure to use a clear that’s compatible with the yellow and blue paint you’re using.

Ben

4 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

Consider a light coat of clear gloss along the tape edges before you spray the blue. It will help prevent the blue from creeping under the tape. Be sure to use a clear that’s compatible with the yellow and blue paint you’re using.

Ben

I do this with almost all of my masking and I recommend it as well. I've never had a problem doing it this way.