In August Eduard is to re-release the MiG-21 bis kit from the start of the decade in a Limited Edition version “Around the World”. The kit is the same and don’t ask about Gabors nose . ..

But it has a simply giant 22x 33.5 cm decal sheet with markings for 7 different aircraft from all around the world.

A Croatian AF 116 starts the line to be followed of course by a Russian White 17, a Hungarian 1904 in aggressor marking, a Libian 800 with the new post Gaddafi markings, a Polish shark mouth 0880, an Iraqi example and Cuban 637.

Apart from the plastic sprues the kit includes resin parts ( wheels and antennas specific for the Croatian version) some paint masks and of course photoetch sets (3 of them Cockpit, general and for the resin wheels.)

Here is the box art from Eduards face book page

sACg2O9.jpg

xdMDSJy.jpg

qycSjcB.jpg

Best regards

Gabor

1 hour ago, Ollie T-Y said:

Is the plastic any good? After seeing the Romanian rocket at RIAT, I quite fancy one of these!

All the plastic parts / sprues are the same as in the MiG-21bis kits released in 2011. It is good. Remember this is a MiG-21 bis! What was that Romanian aircraft? I think they have the Late MF version with up grade but not sure about it. 

If it is a Romanian  MF then you should look around for a dedicated MiG-21 MF kit! Some of the sprues are different for the MF (Spue H), mainly the smaller dorsal fule tank. While in the MiG-21 bis kit it is Sprue J with the bigger tank and lots more small bits and pieces. 

The decal in this new re-release kit is fantastic (not because I researched and put together the Hungarian one) but because Cartograf printing is perfect. Also the photoetch parts had a change in the past years.

Best regards

Gabor

19 hours ago, Whiskey said:

I think the kit would be worth buying  brand new JUST for the decals.

The Eduard Mig-21 kits are worth buying even without the decals!  🙂

18 hours ago, DarkKnight said:

I hope they'll bring some to the NAts

I think the priority for Eduard at the IPMS USA is the brand new Mustang. They have been working so hard to get it ready in time. They will want to make the maximum out of it and there is also the competition from the just announced Tamiya P-38 which will also have its premier at the event. I am sure there was some head scratching at Edu HQ and some four letter words flying around on hearing the Tamiya news.

Who will steal the show???

I think the MiG-21 kit is so much in the background in view of all this, but I am sure they will find some place for a couple of Fishbed boxes also.

So good luck DarkKnight!

Best regards

Gabor

2 hours ago, B.Sin said:

It's to bad they never tooled the right  fuselage with the correct nose for this particular aircraft. 

I guess it has to be a Bf-190, Bf-109,  or a Mustang to get that type of treatment!

It was bad enough that they consciously chose not to do the right thing, but then the whole bunny thing was invented to essentially make fun of modelers who held them to account for the decision.  I found the whole thing very condescending and insulting.  It still galls me when I see the bunny in their advertising.

5 hours ago, Sleepy said:

It was bad enough that they consciously chose not to do the right thing, but then the whole bunny thing was invented to essentially make fun of modelers who held them to account for the decision.  I found the whole thing very condescending and insulting.  It still galls me when I see the bunny in their advertising.

Hm...yes they did that. Now you reminded me of the whole thing. EDUARD is full mainstream company now , and they chose subjects appropriately - guess MiG-21 was not that important on their road to wwii glory 

P

EDIT: Mr. Shultz from Eduard once told me making 1/48 Mi-24 kit is his dream. I guess that dream won't make money like wwii subjects done to death by other manufacturers.

Eat that bunny carrot now...

Edited by Petarvu
8 hours ago, B.Sin said:

They made fun of modeler's  who complained about the nose using their Bunny carlton's?  I think I missed that one!  If they did, it's very poor taste!

That’s what the whole bunny thing was originally about.  Very insulting to the very people who they rely on for their income.

The Bunny Club is nothing more than a marketing tool. It is a question of opinion on what one sees in it but it had nothing to do with MiG-21bis kit. If I remember right there was just one Bunny cartoon relating to the quarrel with Eduard by me. I think it was a good joke.

Actually the Bunny drawings are done by a good friend ( I hope I can say this) with fantastic humour Mr. Bobek and he did a special cartoon for me later related to the MiG-21bis nose/Gabor’s nose affair.

The actual name “Gabor’s nose” I think came from Mr. Sulc in his posts.

I have no bad feelings about the way it all turned out with the release of the MiG-21 bis kit in 2011. One has to know when to let it go.

Although it is sad that the modelling community did not get a true MiG-21bis kit that they deserve in 48th scale (or any scale for that matter). The reason is simple, first of all financial investment in a new fuselage would have not been justified (one can argue about this) but also a kind of stubbornness on part of Eduard of “we made a decision and we not going to back down”.

What I was really angry about is the way the Hungarian national marking ( and the whole marking of that “white tail”) was made completely wrong in that first kit and the next Weeken kit. Everything was provided to Eduard to make it right and they still made a complete joke of it.

Fortunately this time excellent cooperation with Eduard decal department resulted to make that Hungarian marking and all the finest details for it almost 100% right in this Limited kit! Glad that at least this is right. :))

As for the nose, Stenka at Cold War Studios made it for this kit. And it is about to be built into the kit (as we speak ) which is on my workbench (as well as a lot of other home made MiG-21 bis specific extras that I have produced).

Best regards

Gabor

P.s. What an F-1 race was this German. WOW

On 7/28/2019 at 1:35 PM, DarkKnight said:

it said "low stock"  when I bought it, wait a couple of weeks, the new kit will probably increase demand for it, in the mean time buy the g-factor brass landing gear and the master model pitot tube.  

Why do you need metal gear struts on a model that weighs so little?  I built a Revell 1/48 MiG-21 decades ago that stood on its plastic gear just fine for many, many years.