Does anyone know or have references for the whiskey cobra from the late 80’s. All I can find are mostly newer stuff.  Also does anyone one know if the cockpit was all black around this time as well?

also does anyone know which type of hellfire middle they used back then? Or have a decent side view shot of the adapter for the LAU-7 they some times carried for sidewinders?

Edited by achterkirch

Pretty sure by this time frame, all helos (army and Marines) would have had black NVG cockpits.  As far as hellfires, would have been the same initial laser-guided version that Apaches were using.   No idea on the sub-type.  

Maybe our old friend Mr Smith will make an appearance as he would have been driver back then. My gut says you could probably do both as not all birds would have been updated at the same time to NVG standards. That is based on some 46 information I recall. I will leave the ordie stuff to the other expect that hangs around these parts.

I am pretty sure all AH-1Ws came from the factory with black cockpits since they were not fielded until '86 and the cockpits were blacked out starting about '80 as existing aircraft went through rebuild.

If you want to find photos of late-80's and early-90's SuperCobras, look for issues of Koku Fan magazine from around that time frame that feature the AH-1W and USMC helicopters in general. Osprey produced photo-books around that time as well. Heliborne was a title they published that might be of use.

LD.

For the LAU-7 Adapter:

If you search for "ADU-299A/A" or just "ADU-299 Adapter" you will find a few drawings of it and a couple of pictures if it mated to the a LAU-7. 

Edited by GW8345
On 7/25/2019 at 12:32 PM, achterkirch said:

Or have a decent side view shot of the adapter for the LAU-7 they some times carried for sidewinders?

If you're doing one in 1/48, all of the Hasegawa A-4 kits included two ADU-299 adapters.

22 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

If you're doing one in 1/48, all of the Hasegawa A-4 kits included two ADU-299 adapters.

Unfortunately I’m doing the 1/72 Revell kit. But I could use that as a reference for making a scratched one as I have that kit.  I didn’t know they were the same adapter.