Question Regarding IPMS Nationals

Hello all,

It has been nearly two decades since I have been to the national IPMS convention.  The last time was in 2000 down in Dallas.  I had hoped to attend this year’s convention for the entire time but due to outside circumstances I can not. I do have time to attend for a day or two. I would like to take advantage of what the vendors have to offer and realize that if there is something that may sell out getting there the first day is vital.  I would also like to see as many of the models that are being entered and on display. My question is this, if I was only able to attend on the opening day, Wednesday, am I going to be able to see many of the models that are entered?

Mark

My impression is the best day for models is Friday, Wednesday there will be models, but The quantity of models really picks up on Thursday, and peaks on Friday before judging.

You might even find that many vendors are not fully set up, or not even there on wednesday when the convention opens.   

5 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

My impression is the best day for models is Friday, Wednesday there will be models, but The quantity of models really picks up on Thursday, and peaks on Friday before judging.

You might even find that many vendors are not fully set up, or not even there on wednesday when the convention opens.   

Thanks for the reply. I figured Friday is the best day but that’s the day I have a commitment I can’t get out of. 

3 hours ago, evilmedic13 said:

Will there be a lot of opportunities to purchase models? Or, is it more of an exposition? I’m kinda hoping to pick up a few kits not found locally, and hoping it’s worth the 8 hr solo ride from Chicago. 

Typically there are many vendors, so imagine a local model show with vendors, but larger.  I have heard many people say it is the best opportunity for shopping. 

here is the vendor list:

http://www.ipmsnationals.com/Vendor-Listing-Alpha.aspx

You will find several manufacturers as well as many of your favorite aftermarket companies. There are usually many used kit vendors as well. 

15 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

Typically there are many vendors, so imagine a local model show with vendors, but larger.  I have heard many people say it is the best opportunity for shopping. 

here is the vendor list:

http://www.ipmsnationals.com/Vendor-Listing-Alpha.aspx

You will find several manufacturers as well as many of your favorite aftermarket companies. There are usually many used kit vendors as well. 

12 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

It is the largest hobby store under one roof I have ever been to- you will not be disappointed.  Bring lots of cash!

Thank you! I was hoping to hear just that!

On 8/2/2019 at 11:06 AM, evilmedic13 said:

Will there be a lot of opportunities to purchase models? Or, is it more of an exposition? I’m kinda hoping to pick up a few kits not found locally, and hoping it’s worth the 8 hr solo ride from Chicago. 

Huge vendor area, that's usually called the "world's biggest hobby shop." Everything from paint, glues and tools to books, magazines and decals. And kits, of course, lots of kits, from people selling off their collections to companies like Eduard, Special Hobby and Tamiya with the latest releases.