That is just totally weird. Looks like the area became hard and brittle and just shattered. Is that a radio transparent area over some sensor? You can see other areas that are cracking like they too are brittle. Man, that's got to be a nightmare to maintain. I wouldn't even want to try to figure out how to replicate that on a model. :gr_eek2:

1 hour ago, Mstor said:

That is just totally weird. Looks like the area became hard and brittle and just shattered. Is that a radio transparent area over some sensor? You can see other areas that are cracking like they too are brittle. Man, that's got to be a nightmare to maintain. I wouldn't even want to try to figure out how to replicate that on a model. :gr_eek2:

Enamel over acrylic before the bottom layer drying. It will exactly look like that 😄 😄 😄 😄 😄 

40 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Wonder if that has anything to do with the OBOGS problem they had on that jet?

Just now, boom175 said:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.   I don't think any other jet has anything like that.    Given how high these things fly, you'd probably need a larger than normal O2 cylinder to allow the pilot to descend to a safe altitude if the OBOGS failed. 

Maybe it's always been present, I'm not an F-22 expert.  Just don't recall seeing it before. 

13 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.   I don't think any other jet has anything like that.    Given how high these things fly, you'd probably need a larger than normal O2 cylinder to allow the pilot to descend to a safe altitude if the OBOGS failed. 

Maybe it's always been present, I'm not an F-22 expert.  Just don't recall seeing it before. 

This is part of the OBOGS fix. It's called  the Automatic Backup Oxygen System (ABOS). Looks like 2 high pressure oxygen bottles were installed behind the ejection seat in the 2012/13 time frame. These look like fairly high capacity cylinders so they probably operate more as a backup reserve to the OBOGS and there's more than likely enough oxygen to get through a mission.

Cheers,

John

33 minutes ago, CF104 said:

This is part of the OBOGS fix. It's called  the Automatic Backup Oxygen System (ABOS). Looks like 2 high pressure oxygen bottles were installed behind the ejection seat in the 2012/13 time frame. These look like fairly high capacity cylinders so they probably operate more as a backup reserve to the OBOGS and there's more than likely enough oxygen to get through a mission.

Cheers,

John

Ahh.....  Thanks for the info CF104!  Looks like it will have to be added for anyone modeling a current-spec Raptor.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 2:23 PM, boom175 said:

The ABOS was more a result of the Alaska accident, rather than the OBOGS issues.  The F-35 has a similar back up system.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

I have used crackle medium. It gives a great effect. But it also lifts up all the layers beneath the top layer revealing the plastic surface. So I dont know what is best way yet to use it. 

However, that surface seem to be broken and cracked. Crackle provides a good effect on the paint layer but not sure how to do this cracked surface effect. 🙂

Forget about that degraded finish in front of the cockpit, just try to replicate the overall paint job:

Air Force Maj. Paul

See the source image

I've yet to see a Raptor model that comes close to looking like the real thing, including replicating that coating on the canopy.   There are times when this thing looks almost alien-like.