Metal Primer Problem

Hi everyone! I just want to know why am I having this problem with the metal primer. I tried spraying Mr. Hobby Metal Primer B-504 on the bare/unpainted photo-etched parts that come with the kit and let it dry for 24 hours and then painted; but when covered or mask with the low-tack tape such as the Tamiya yellow Kabuki tape, some if not  all of the paints lifted; also when I tried to bend a certain part of the photo-etched piece, the paint would tend to crack  into several pieces. What should I do? Thanks in advance!

4 hours ago, flybywire said:

Hi everyone! I just want to know why am I having this problem with the metal primer. I tried spraying Mr. Hobby Metal Primer B-504 on the bare/unpainted photo-etched parts that come with the kit and let it dry for 24 hours and then painted; but when covered or mask with the low-tack tape such as the Tamiya yellow Kabuki tape, some if not  all of the paints lifted; also when I tried to bend a certain part of the photo-etched piece, the paint would tend to crack  into several pieces. What should I do? Thanks in advance!

How did you prep the photo-etch parts before priming? I use isopropyl alcohol(IPA) to clean the PE and depending on the size of the part I'll scuff it with 400 grit sandpaper followed by another cleaning with IPA. Don't paint the PE before bending. It will crack the paint. Try to attach the PE to the kit you are building before painting if practical. Painted PE doesn't attach too well due to any adhesion problems with the paint. It's best to attach bare PE to clean unpainted styrene.

Cheers,

John

52 minutes ago, CF104 said:

How did you prep the photo-etch parts before priming? I use isopropyl alcohol(IPA) to clean the PE and depending on the size of the part I'll scuff it with 400 grit sandpaper followed by another cleaning with IPA. Don't paint the PE before bending. It will crack the paint. Try to attach the PE to the kit you are building before painting if practical. Painted PE doesn't attach too well due to any adhesion problems with the paint. It's best to attach bare PE to clean unpainted styrene.

Cheers,

John

Hi John! Thanks for responding. The answer to your first question is nothing. I just spray the PE fret straight from the box and let it dry overnight and then spray the desired paint on it.  So it's given that the paint will  really crack after bending it no matter how I do it.  I was already thinking  that next time around I will bend it to its desired position/angle first before painting it, and here you just confirmed it. 

I use Mr Hobby Metal Primer a lot. It is not a very good primer for PE, and flakes off pretty easily, no matter the prior preparation. The only primer I've found that works well on PE is Duplicolor Van and Truck Primer from my local auto parts store. Your thinking of bending first, then painting, is a solid strategy that works. 

On 8/1/2019 at 11:39 PM, modelingbob said:

I use Mr Hobby Metal Primer a lot. It is not a very good primer for PE, and flakes off pretty easily, no matter the prior preparation. The only primer I've found that works well on PE is Duplicolor Van and Truck Primer from my local auto parts store. Your thinking of bending first, then painting, is a solid strategy that works. 

That's exactly what happened to me,  gruesome flaking and lifting. I don't think I could ever find Duplicolor Van but I could try Truck Primer. Thanks for the tip!