F-18 down in Star Wars Canyon

3 hours ago, Raptor01 said:

For those not familiar, intense low level.

Very low, considering the crash happened below the parking lot. Does anyone know if these flights are part of a mandatory training syllabus, or just free flight time that the pilots electively get to fly?

3 hours ago, Camus272 said:

Very low, considering the crash happened below the parking lot. Does anyone know if these flights are part of a mandatory training syllabus, or just free flight time that the pilots electively get to fly?

It varies between aircraft and services, but LOWAT events are generally a required part of a pilot's currency.

Regards,

Murph

8 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

Probably not the flights, but I could see them banning photogs from being on the ridge.

Here's a picture of the area where those tourists got hurt.   Believe the jet impacted directly below them.   Going to be tough to ban the public from getting onto that ridge to take pictures.   Not like you can't just pull off the side of the road and walk 50' to the edge. 

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com%2Fthe-drive-cms-content-staging%2Fmessage-editor%252F1564605017461-adadacac.jpeg?auto=compress%2Cformat&ixlib=js-1.2.1&s=f588d403ca5c3961cc91c218157a36a4

Picture courtesy of "The Drive"

Edited by 11bee

That parking lot is on a State highway, outside the National Park boundaries. The Navy and/or the Nat'l Park Service have no say in shutting that down. On top of that, there are signs clearly displayed in that parking lot warning motorists of low-flying military aircraft so hopefully liability is minimal. I hope this area continues to see use. I was at Death Valley over Easter weekend and stopped by this lot...then I remembered it was Easter Sunday and nobody was flying. I hope to go back soon--it's about a six hour drive.

Edit: I was mistaken..it IS just inside the National Park boundaries. Damn...still, 11Bee has a good point: so many spots to just pull off the road along that ridgeline.

And it goes without saying, what an absolute tragedy for the aviator's family and squadron-mates. My most heartfelt sympathies go out to all involved.

Edited by picknpluck
11 hours ago, 11bee said:

Here's a picture of the area where those tourists got hurt.   Believe the jet impacted directly below them.   Going to be tough to ban the public from getting onto that ridge to take pictures.   Not like you can't just pull off the side of the road and walk 50' to the edge. 

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com%2Fthe-drive-cms-content-staging%2Fmessage-editor%252F1564605017461-adadacac.jpeg?auto=compress%2Cformat&ixlib=js-1.2.1&s=f588d403ca5c3961cc91c218157a36a4

Picture courtesy of "The Drive"

That's interesting. I was reading an article about Star Wars Canyon and the author made it sound like it was difficult to get to. He was complaining that more and more people were coming and leaving their trash behind. That parking lot is literally right off the highway.

Been down CA 58 a few times, definitely need a good running vehicle, wide open and very warm during the day, opposite when the sun goes down.  CA 190 is further east & more isolated, putting this on the bucket list with the the Tehachapi loop next time I drive to the left coast.

John