1/72 GWH F-14D...anyone got it yet?

Has anyone got or built it up yet?  I'm curious as to the accuracy.  I've got the Finemolds 'Cat, but I'm wondering if the GWH version is accurate.  Apparently the Finemolds front fuselage is too deep.

And yes, I've got the Hasegawa, too...but the fit pains me.   🙂

I've got it and just barely getting started on it. But I'm no Tomcat expert. My initial impression is that this is a very nicely engineered kit. I am disappointed that there appear to be no bomb shackles for the Phoenix pallets and the Sidewinder rails are the older LAU-7s, not the BOL rails used in the final years of the F-14D's service. Also, no TARPS pod. Some pics:

One piece intake trunks

bWndz5Q.jpg

Optional IFR probe

xu1Q4fZ.jpg

Interesting exhaust design

1Tk3rl2.jpg

cjAwTPr.jpg

Nice surface detail

Y9DF56o.jpg

Edited by picknpluck
11 minutes ago, tn_prvteye said:

So, would it be complete heresy to model it gear up, wings back, and in-flight...considering all the detailing options, I feel like I would be shunned by the community.  🙂

no it wouldn't - you would save yourself some time building quite a complicated landing gear construction, but the question is, how well the flaps, slats and spoilers would fit in clean configuration, as they are clearly moulded to be shown deployed.

I plan starting mine shortly - like a build review and comparison to FineMolds F-14A as one of the, if not THE best Tomcat in 1:72.

2 hours ago, picknpluck said:

I am disappointed that there appear to be no bomb shackles for the Phoenix pallets

Too bad, F-14D without bombs looks poor. Is it possible to buy those bomb racks anywhere?

7 minutes ago, Ichitoe said:

IMHO, a F-14D WITH bombs looks poor....  

LOL I think the same :woot.gif:. But then I am no Tomcat expert nor an F-14 super fan. I just like the F-14 clean and mean looking. Hey kudos to GWH for announcing and actually producing this kit in a timely manner. Looks like one I'll be getting.

I look forward to following along on someone's build blog. Are there any yet?

Happy modeling all!

On 8/2/2019 at 9:06 PM, Solo said:

Heh, it is so funny. I need to buy Fine Molds Weapon Set to have LANTIRN pod, and Hasegawa Weapon Set for bomb racks.

GWH, shame on you.

Its a mainstream manufactures trick nowadays, to release a new model with no weapons / pylons and next year rerelease the same model with the load. Tamiya F-16, Hasegawa F-35B. Nothing personal, pure business...

I’m not sure how much blame you can assign to GWH for not including Bombcat weapons and stores here. The marking options in the box are for F-14Ds before It was commonplace for fleet Tomcats to be assigned the A-G mission. 

Mark

5 hours ago, Sebastijan said:

That may be, but then you've got an even bigger error, as RIO's cockpit is a late D with square PTIDS screen instead of a fishbowl one, jdam coordinate input box and a LANTIRN sidestick controller.

Will it be unbuildable because of this?  :)   :)  :)

Sorry. Just joking!!!

Best regards

Gabor

On 8/2/2019 at 10:05 AM, Sebastijan said:

but the question is, how well the flaps, slats and spoilers would fit in clean configuration, as they are clearly moulded to be shown deployed.

There are separate one-piece flap/spoiler parts for a clean wing. So far, everything fits really well. I'll do my wings dirty, but I suspect a good fit of movable surfaces on a clean wing as well.

On 8/9/2019 at 1:58 AM, Onetogo said:

Its a mainstream manufactures trick nowadays, to release a new model with no weapons / pylons and next year rerelease the same model with the load. Tamiya F-16, Hasegawa F-35B. Nothing personal, pure business...

This kit includes the usual complement if AIM-9M/AIM-7M/AIM-54C and they are very nicely detailed.