1/72 GWH F-14D...anyone got it yet?

On 8/13/2019 at 9:53 AM, picknpluck said:

vQ9to4w.jpg

Anyone else notice that the gun panels are a mix of old and new and totally inaccurate.

The mid-barrel clamp panel (panel forward of the main gun panel) is the older style while the purge door panel (small panel on the bottom aft corner of the main gun panel) is the newer type. the main gun panel (sans the purge door) is also the older type. The mid-barrel panel should have the NACA and the main Gun Panel is missing the NACA vent all together.

I've never seen a Delta with a mix of gun panels like that. We did it once or twice while in VF-101 on our Alpha's while changing them over from old to new but that was only for a couple of days while we waited for the mid-barrel clamp panels to come back from rework.

Basically, they mixed Alpha and Delta gun panels together on this kit.

Edited by GW8345
3 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

Anyone else notice that the gun panels are a mix of old and new and totally inaccurate.

The mid-barrel clamp panel (panel forward of the main gun panel) is the older style while the purge door panel (small panel on the bottom aft corner of the main gun panel) is the newer type. the main gun panel (sans the purge door) is also the older type. The mid-barrel panel should have the NACA and the main Gun Panel is missing the NACA vent all together.

I've never seen a Delta with a mix of gun panels like that. We did it once or twice while in VF-101 on our Alpha's while changing them over from old to new but that was only for a couple of days while we waited for the mid-barrel clamp panels to come back from rework.

Gerry, this is a spare part. There is an additional NACA vent included in the kit that looks to be accurate. I’ll post a pic when I get home.

1 hour ago, GW8345 said:

Here's the NACA vent included in the kit.

vrdhJO5.jpg

2 hours ago, picknpluck said:

Here's the NACA vent included in the kit.

vrdhJO5.jpg

That panel is wrong too.

-The bottom forward NACA duct should be positioned more forward than the top one and have a slightly different shape than the top duct.

-The front part of the aft bulge should be slightly lower

-Rear NACA duct is too long (front/rear) and should be positioned slightly lower. Points 2 and 3 are nitpicky in 1/72, but the assymetrical positioning of the NACA ducts is a staple of the later Tomcats.

On 8/2/2019 at 4:04 PM, tn_prvteye said:

Has anyone got or built it up yet?  I'm curious as to the accuracy.  I've got the Finemolds 'Cat, but I'm wondering if the GWH version is accurate.  Apparently the Finemolds front fuselage is too deep.

And yes, I've got the Hasegawa, too...but the fit pains me.   🙂

Hi, I am no expert but when I put the front fuselage of the Hasegawa and Finemolds together they are exactly the same depth?

20 hours ago, picknpluck said:

Gerry, this is a spare part. There is an additional NACA vent included in the kit that looks to be accurate. I’ll post a pic when I get home.

Good thing it's a spare because they way they have the vents configured, IMHO it's worthless.

Edited by GW8345
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got to have a look at it today at Sprue Bros. It's a nice kit. If the 1/48 kit is like this, it will be an enjoyable build. I'm stoked about the markings options. I've been wanting the early VF-2 markings for years. I really, really hope they include them in the 1/48 scale kit. 

14 minutes ago, Darren Roberts said:

I just got to have a look at it today at Sprue Bros. It's a nice kit. If the 1/48 kit is like this, it will be an enjoyable build. I'm stoked about the markings options. I've been wanting the early VF-2 markings for years. I really, really hope they include them in the 1/48 scale kit. 

The 1/72 kit has a late-style cockpit, though. Not appropriate for the timeframe of the markings...but LAU-7 rails instead of BOL rails. And no bomb option or LANTIRN unless you get the Hasegawa weapons sets. It does have the LANTIRN controller in the RIO pit and the pylon adapter.