Manned U.S. Spaceflight Capsules

I finally finished my display of our manned spaceflight capsules, all in 1/48th scale.  The Mercury and Gemini capsules were pretty much out-of-the-box from the combined Revell kit.

The Apollo C/SM came from the 1/48th C/SM-LM stack.  That one needed a lot of work to go from block 1 to block 2.  The SM is almost totally scratch built.  The CM has been modified

extensively as well - relocation of the windows, the umbilical unit, etc.  I tried foiling the CM (this was my first attempt at foiling) and I think I will do better on my 32nd C/SM.

But, it did take a 2nd at our regional IPMS contest, so I can't complain.

Enjoy,

Mike

IMG_1220.JPG

That 1/48 CSM certainly does need a LOT of extra effort to make it accurate to a Block 2. It looks like you got it right, Mike!

I see handholds on the CM, did you use New Ware's aftermarket set? And the docking probe is scratch built?

The Gemini update set from RealSpace Models accurizes the model just that little bit more.

And you've presented it very nicely too ... Nicely Done!

Oh, and don't be shy about sharing more pix ... we'd love to see 'em!

Thank for posting this build, Mike!

Pete

Thanks guys, I tried to share more photos, but the size limitations the site puts on photos makes it very difficult.  Here is a pic of the other side.

And Pete, about the handholds?  Those are actually Stanley brand staples out of my staple gun.  I was stapling the upholstery on a chair (on my "honeydo" list), saw a loose staple and went , "hmmmm . . ."

IMG_1222.JPG

And from the rear.  The gold foil on the rear of the Gemini is from a Rollo candy bar.  The candy comes in gold foil that is about 6" x 3".

I think now I have been forced to eat enough Rollo bars to cover about 37 1/48th LEMs.  😋  Yes, serious modeling DOES make you fat . . . 

Mike

IMG_1223.JPG

Nice work and a very good way to display the set. 

As for images, I use Imgur to store my photos and then use the "Insert other media" button when I post.

Randy

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah, I'm working on the Revell-ogram LEM (the one with the lunar surface and two astronauts).  I'm using various foils for the detailing as well.

It's about halfway done.

I do have a spare Mercury/Gemini kit in 1/48th as well.  Don't know if I'll ever build them . . .

Mike