When I was a kid back in the late-80's, I guess I was spoiled to have the rugged, reasonably high-fidelity collection of the "Force One" diecast military toys from Ertl.  The fighters were all a decent size (probably 1/72-ish scale) with stickers to apply and ordnance to hang from the pylons, flip-up landing gear... not bad for what they were.

Having two young sons of my own now, I'm having an exceedingly hard time finding anything similar out there.  Many of those Ertl jets can still be found for purchase, though most are listed for collector prices.  Are there any modern alternatives with similar qualities out there?  Everything I see is absolute trash.  Not just because an F-15 isn't lime-green, but because it could never stand up to the abuse that even my relatively tame kids would inflict.

My boys have discovered my old collection at Grandma & Grandpa's house, but they look like they've been through a real war.  They did fly numerous sorties all over the neighborhood, after all.  I was just hoping I could find something new they can unwrap and call their own.

-Ryan

Edited by BN7149

Tangible toys are so last century, it's all digital now, mate.
Last century I worked in the hobby and toy retail, this century I don't.
The only die-cast F-15s of decent size I know of currently are designed and priced for the adult collectors market, as in 1/72 scale for over a hundred bucks.
If you can go for half that size, 1/150 scale at around 5 in long, there is something in the $20 to $25 range, for example, http://www.historicaviation.com/F-15A-Eagle-1_150-Die-Cast-Model/productinfo/702302/

Edited by southwestforests

I remember those! The F-14, F-15, F-16, A-10, and Harrier come to mind. I remember when I got the Hornet. Force One made an air base that had a lighted runway and control tower and I remember when and where I got that too! The only ones that they made that I wanted but never had were the B-1 and SR-71.

The Hornet is still around in Blue Angels markings. The gift shop for the National Naval Aviation Museum has it:   https://navalaviation.com/toys/ba-force-one-1064.html

I don't remember how much my parents' paid for those things back in the day, but I'm sure it was nowhere near $25.00.

Edited by Chriss7607
Caps
On 8/2/2019 at 11:32 PM, southwestforests said:

Tangible toys are so last century, it's all digital now, mate.

I would agree that is mostly true.  Our boys seem more than happy to bury themselves in Legos and Hot Wheels from sun-up till sun-down.  Those diecast collector models are pretty nice, and you're right, also expensive.  That was the beauty of the Ertl versions, rugged, interactive, and priced right.

The version that you linked to isn't too bad, small, but at least acceptably realistic and kid-resistant.  Thanks!

On 8/2/2019 at 11:41 PM, Chriss7607 said:

I remember those! The F-14, F-15, F-16, A-10, and Harrier come to mind. I remember when I got the Hornet. Force One made an air base that had a lighted runway and control tower and I remember when and where I got that too! The only ones that they made that I wanted but never had were the B-1 and SR-71.

The Hornet is still around in Blue Angels markings. The gift shop for the National Naval Aviation Museum has it:   https://navalaviation.com/toys/ba-force-one-1064.html

I don't remember how much my parents' paid for those things back in the day, but I'm sure it was nowhere near $25.00.

I knew I wasn't the only one!  I had the base, too.  My parents still have the control tower, but the lighted airfield part is long gone.  Most of my friends had some of the planes, too.  One even had the pistol-grip thingy that you could put the jets on to make various noises.  It was corny, but we sure wore it out back in the day.

Thanks for the link on the Blue Angel's version.  Nice to see that they still exist in some form.

-Ryan

Yes, I had the control stick thing too! It came with a Hornet and I think a few target trucks. My Uncle bought that for me for my birthday. All of them flew many missions back in the day. It brings back a lot of great memories!

Hopefully you can at least get him the Blue Angels Hornet and they can have as much fun as we did back then! Maybe even your control tower can once again see service.