Eduard P-51D-5 On The Way!

Hey All,

I don't know how much interest there may be in yet another 1/48 P-51, but I'm sure some of you may have heard about Eduard's brand new P-51D, Chattanooga Choo Choo.  The Modelling News had a pretty lengthy write-up about it and the features of the new airplane, and had said that the kit was to be released on August 7, to coincide with the IPMS National Convention.  

Well, I decided, on July 25th, to place a pre-order with MegaHobby, and it so happens that I got a notice in my e-mail today that the new P-51 has been shipped!  Wow!  A whole 5 days before it was supposed to be released!  I'm excited...can't wait for it to arrive!  I have written several posts here in ArcAIr about my newness to airplane models, at least since I was a kid, but I've acquired a whole lot of kits, but only one P-51 so far, and that is the Meng P-51D, the 'no glue' model.  I haven't put it together yet, but I'll be really interested to see how the Eduard and the Meng airplanes compare, in the box at least.

Edited by Curt B

I preordered mine from Megahobby too- I cannot wait!  It looks fantastic and I’m sure it will build as easily as all of Eduard’s recent releases.  As soon as I finish my Corsair, I’ll be starting the Mustang.  

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi
7 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

I preordered mine from Megahobby too- I cannot wait!  It looks fantastic and I’m sure it will build as easily as all of Eduard’s recent releases.  As soon as I finish my Corsair, I’ll be starting the Mustang.  

Steve

Cool, Steve, I"m hoping it's as good as it sounds.  I'm in the middle of an Eduard Spitfire VIII build, so I'll have to finish that first before anything else, but I'm anxious to get it!  The tracking info says it should be here by late Monday.  Yea!

Now, I need to decide if I want to pre-order the Tamiya P-38  🙂

Edited by Curt B

I received my Eduard P-51D accessories today and they look great!

LOOK instrument panel

FK7ZJhR.jpg

Brassin Wheels

gHkGcYy.jpg

Steelbelts included with the LOOK panel

8UH3VOQ.jpg

And Brassin Exhausts 

YOiRqyQ.jpg

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi

Steve,

Regarding the Eduard parts, are they specifically for the new P-51D, or are these for another Eduard P-51?  Just curious.  I'm guessing that even if made for another Eduard P-51, they would fit fine...but that's just a guess.

I have the Big Ed set for the Meng P-51D and they all look great...I'm gong to use them for sure when I get around to building my Meng kit.

Edited by Curt B
8 hours ago, Curt B said:

Steve,

Regarding the Eduard parts, are they specifically for the new P-51D, or are these for another Eduard P-51?  Just curious.  I'm guessing that even if made for another Eduard P-51, they would fit fine...but that's just a guess.

I have the Big Ed set for the Meng P-51D and they all look great...I'm gong to use them for sure when I get around to building my Meng kit.

Curt- 

. These parts are for Eduard’s new P-51D, and the panel is specifically for the P-51D-5 variant.   They may fit the Meng kit.  

41 minutes ago, Sleepy said:

Eduard has never made another P-51.

What he said ⬆️

Edited by Falconxlvi

My Chattanooga Choo Choo arrived today!  Yea!  From a MegaHobby pre-order.  Woohoo!  It's neat!

Now I need to figure out what airplane I want to model.  As of the moment, I am leaning toward the plane of Capt. Fred Ohr, the scheme with a red-orange spinner and tip of the nose and a bright yellow tail section (from the base of the tail filet back).

Edited by Curt B

I hate to break the news to Eduard, but the P-51D’s main struts are not mounted perpendicular to the wing.  I sure hope this is just a boo-boo by the builder, but you’d think if you were putting this in your company newsletter you’d want it to be built properly.  

FLclgz.jpg

GC5G7K.jpg

Hi Sleepy.  I'm looking at the instructions and the photo above, and I'm not sure what you mean by 'not mounted perpendicular to the wing'.  You mean the struts should NOT come out o ut of the wing and make a 90 angle with respect to the wing, or alternately stated, that the model's struts are not angled sufficiently that the wheels/tires are not located 'forward' enough ahead of the leading edge of the wing?  Sorry that I don't understand, but I want to be sure that whatever you are seeing is not a kit problem.

9 hours ago, Sleepy said:

Compare the photos.  The model looks like it’s standing on its tiptoes.  The struts appear in the photo to be mounted at 90 degrees to the wing chord plane, not angled forward like the real thing is.

Hi Sleepy, you are quite correct on your observation. Should be a simple fix thou.

1 hour ago, nachjager said:

Hi Sleepy, you are quite correct on your observation. Should be a simple fix thou.

"Should be" and "is" are two totally different things.  And honestly, in 2019, should it be necessary?  I have memories of Eduard's Bf109G disaster.  How it's possible, using CAD design, for a basic mistake like this to happen (assuming it's not just the builder's error) is inexplicable to me.  It's as obvious an error as putting a three bladed prop on a P-51D to me.

16 minutes ago, Sleepy said:

"Should be" and "is" are two totally different things.  And honestly, in 2019, should it be necessary?  I have memories of Eduard's Bf109G disaster.  How it's possible, using CAD design, for a basic mistake like this to happen (assuming it's not just the builder's error) is inexplicable to me.  It's as obvious an error as putting a three bladed prop on a P-51D to me.

Ok, let's wait until someone do a full build to asses if its an actual error or just carelessness of the person who build it for the photo. Mine's on my way from Mega Hobby so as soon it land on my door will check it and post my findings here, if necessary.

As I said, if you're having someone build one that you're putting in your company newsletter, wouldn't you want to make sure it was absolutely built correctly?  And if it's that easy to screw up the main gear position, perhaps you need to rethink your engineering design.

5 hours ago, Sleepy said:

Eduard went on to retool and correct their Bf 109 series. Many manufacturers wouldn’t do that, even today. As far as making errors in the first place, many manufacturers have made far more glaring errors that went uncorrected. 

This issue you have with the P-51 may not even be an error from Eduard. Is it keeping you from buying the kit?

If it really IS an issue (and I haven't opened the sprue plastic bags to check), I'll just fix it.  Should you HAVE to fix something like this in a brand new model.  No...but, oh well...

However, looking at the instructions, both the image of the upside down plane on page10 shows what appears to be hanging gear struts angled forward, and the side view clearly shows the angled gear.  Now, that doesn't prove the plastic is molded to do that, but it sure shows that that is what Eduard intended.  At least to me.  

In addition, I just compared to fuselage of the Eduard kit to that of the Meng P-51.  I would say that the Eduard has finer panel lines, and certainly finer rivet details.  The arrangement of panel lines and rivet, though, are very close to identical, as you would expect, or at least hope for.  What I think is really exiting, though, is while there are panel lines on the Eduard wings, the wings are devoid of any rivets.  So, that looks like they covered the issue of putties over rivets for the modeler.  Clearly, this was not an oversight, as there is significant rivet detail on the center section of the bottom of the wing, aft of the landing gear openings.  I don't know if this detail had been documented anywhere, but it sure looks good to me, unschooled as I am on the smooth laminar wing of the '51.

Edited by Curt B

Curt B, 

If you'd read some of the information Eduard has provided on why they made the kit they way they have over on their FB page, you could save yourself some questions and comments. In short, everything in this kit is deliberately prepared, following extensive research. 

As a funny side fact, I tried to fit the engine filters from the Eduard onto the Meng yesterday evening, and it is a drop-in fit. This also means I'll convert my Meng P-51 into an RAF model and get this detail correct 😎👍 

To P-38 Guy:  Sorry about the damage to your P-51 box.  I've had similar damage to model boxes, mostly coming from China.  Th last one was a Meng Merkava 4M, and I decided to start building it right away to make sure that there was no missing or damaged parts.  Fortunately, it appeared that all was well, save for the poor box.  But it is disheartening to get a new toy that looks like it may have encountered nasty handling.  Hope your P-51 is okay!