Eduard P-51D-5 On The Way!

On 8/9/2019 at 8:06 PM, Falconxlvi said:

I started mine tonight with the main wheel bay first.  It blows away the competition in fit and detail. I have the Tamiya and Meng in my stash.  There’s no comparison really.

F4mMxvs.jpg

Steve 

Steve,

Is your 'no comparison' comment regarding the level of detail, or fit of parts, or both?  If meant to address fit, I presume you've done some dry fitting of piece/parts of your Tamiya and Meng P-51s in order to be able to make the comparison?  Just a question.  I have the Meng P-51 myself, but I've not opened any of the sprue bags to get that far 😋  That main gear well DOES look stunning!

Edited by Curt B
6 hours ago, Curt B said:

Steve,

Is your 'no comparison' comment regarding the level of detail, or fit of parts, or both?  If meant to address fit, I presume you've done some dry fitting of piece/parts of your Tamiya and Meng P-51s in order to be able to make the comparison?  Just a question.  I have the Meng P-51 myself, but I've not opened any of the sprue bags to get that far 😋  That main gear well DOES look stunning!

I’ve built the Tamiya Mustang and have the Meng.  The Tamiya kit shows it’s age and the fit, while pretty good, isn’t like the new Eduard kit.  Neither are the details.  It’s probably better to compare to the Meng kit to the Eduard kit.  The Meng should build up easily enough but there are some weird aspects/compromise of that kit due to its snap together nature.  The Eduard kit has much finer details and, in most cases more details than both the Tamiya and Meng kits.  Also, the wings aren’t riveted like the Meng, which is a major plus.

The engineering on the Eduard kit is superb.  The gear bay for instance, self aligns and nearly snaps together like a jigsaw puzzle requiring only a dab of quick setting cement.  The gear bay itself is about 15 parts!  There’s a ton of detail!  Compare my photo to the Meng single piece bay.   

Sprue attachment points are narrow and generally on the sides of parts that will be glued anyways.  Ejector pin marks are few and not on any of the visible painted surfaces (so far that I’ve seen). Oddly, about the only thing that Eduard missed are the prominent Dsus fasteners on the top of the cowl.  I will be adding those with a MDC rivet tool.  There are many many Eduard P-51s in my future and the other kits will go to my kids 😜

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi
6 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

I’ve built the Tamiya Mustang and have the Meng.  The Tamiya kit shows it’s age and the fit, while pretty good, isn’t like the new Eduard kit.  Neither are the details.  It’s probably better to compare to the Meng kit to the Eduard kit.  The Meng should build up easily enough but there are some weird aspects/compromise of that kit due to its snap together nature.  The Eduard kit has much finer details and, in most cases more details than both the Tamiya and Meng kits.  Also, the wings aren’t riveted like the Meng, which is a major plus.

The engineering on the Eduard kit is superb.  The gear bay for instance, self aligns and nearly snaps together like a jigsaw puzzle requiring only a dab of quick setting cement.  The gear bay itself is about 15 parts!  There’s a ton of detail!  Compare my photo to the Meng single piece bay.   

Sprue attachment points are narrow and generally on the sides of parts that will be glued anyways.  Ejector pin marks are few and not on any of the visible painted surfaces (so far that I’ve seen). Oddly, about the only thing that Eduard missed are the prominent Dsus fasteners on the top of the cowl.  I will be adding those with a MDC rivet tool.  There are many many Eduard P-51s in my future and the other kits will go to my kids 😜

Steve

Thanks, Steve.  I really appreciate your assessment.

When I was trying to decide which airplane kits to buy, maybe 6-8 months ago (or so I think it's been about that long), I was asking folks for their opinions of the best planes in 1/48, of the Spitfire, P-51, Bf-109, and Fw 190.  I got good advice, I think, but it appears, as the Eduard monthly 'newsletter' states, that the state of the art, even in molding models, continues to advance, as does the engineering.  Of course, there are always compromises involved, but one hopes that the moving technology, particularly the slide mold capability that is so very present in armor models (perhaps less so in airplane models?) keeps moving things forward.  I think that at the time I bought my first P-51, again 6-8 months ago, the Meng had been close to the top.  Of course, the P-51, for me, will be the first NMF model that I will ever build and I surely don't want to go through the hassle of puttying the wings, so I'll live with whatever happens to be present on the Meng kit, but its nice to know the Eduard has that detail covered (no pun intended 😊).  

One of my friends was at the national show.  I'd asked him to pick up one, if not two, of the Eduard P-51s if he could get his hands on them.  I don't know if he was successful or not, but if he got the two, I'll then have three of them, which is fine by me!

Edited by Curt B
Added thoughts
7 minutes ago, Curt B said:

Thanks, Steve.  I really appreciate your assessment.

When I was trying to decide which airplane kits to buy, maybe 6-8 months ago (or so I think it's been about that long), I was asking folks for their opinions of the best planes in 1/48, of the Spitfire, P-51, Bf-109, and Fw 190.  I got good advice, I think, but it appears, as the Eduard monthly 'newsletter' states, that the state of the art, even in molding models, continues to advance, as does the engineering.  Of course, there are always compromises involved, but one hopes that the moving technology, particularly the slide mold capability that is so very present in armor models (perhaps less so in airplane models?) keeps moving things forward.  I think that at the time I bought my first P-51, again 6-8 months ago, the Meng had been close to the top.  Of course, the P-51, for me, will be the first NMF model that I will ever build and I surely don't want to go through the hassle of puttying the wings, so I'll live with whatever happens to be present on the Meng kit, but its nice to know the Eduard has that detail covered (no pun intended 😊).  

One of my friends was at the national show.  I'd asked him to pick up one, if not two, of the Eduard P-51s if he could get his hands on them.  I don't know if he was successful or not, but if he got the two, I'll then have three of them, which is fine by me!

Curt, you will not be disappointed, I assure you!  I have built two of Eduard’s new Spitfires and two of their re-tooled 109s- I can vouch for how easily they build and how detailed they are- you can’t go wrong with a Eduard’s latest stuff!  

14 minutes ago, Falconxlvi said:

Curt, you will not be disappointed, I assure you!  I have built two of Eduard’s new Spitfires and two of their re-tooled 109s- I can vouch for how easily they build and how detailed they are- you can’t go wrong with a Eduard’s latest stuff!  

Steve,

I'm at the painting stage of the Eduard Spitfire Mk. VIII.  I"m doing the High Altitude, light gray over prussian blue scheme, and I have to say, that it being my first Eduard kit, that it really went together fantastically, and it being my first 1/48 airplane of any kind since childhood, I'm thrilled!

• 1 month later...

I received my Eduard kit today and all three canopies are detached from the clear sprue. They don't appear damaged but the differences are so subtle I can't tell which canopy is which.  And yes, I see the irony in my dilemma....   :rolleyes: