CD144022 - 1/144 C-131 Samaritan

Hi Kursad,

I have a small number of interesting scanned 35mm slides with C-131s on them, most from ANG units, a few MAC/TAC birds.  I'll love to send them to you to help with this decal sheet.  What would be the best way to get them to you?

-Derek

3 hours ago, viking73 said:

Hi Kursad,

I have a small number of interesting scanned 35mm slides with C-131s on them, most from ANG units, a few MAC/TAC birds.  I'll love to send them to you to help with this decal sheet.  What would be the best way to get them to you?

-Derek

Hi Derek,

You can send them to my email address "info AT caracalmodels.com". Thanks!

Can anyone help with the C-131B that was modified to train the first Mercury astronauts in weightlessness conditions - the very first Vomit Comet? I have seen video footage and good partial shots, but nothing better than that.

Fig IV-2 - How High The Moon - C-131B aircraft modified into a weightlessness laboratory for human engineering research - USAF Wright-Patterson AFB AMRL

Another great subject in 1/144!  I’d also be interested in the T-29 variant, though I need to do some more research into any differences from the C-131. 

I recall seeing a T-29 on display at Randolph AFB many years ago; I’d have to look and see if I took any photos of it. 

Jonah

Jonah, it's all delineated very nicely in the Ginter book, Convair T-29 Flying Classroom, R4Y/C-131 Samaritan, CC-109 Cosmopolitan. I  highly recommend this title.  R/ Dutch.

Edited by Dutch
16 hours ago, Dutch said:

Jonah, it's all delineated very nicely in the Ginter book, Convair T-29 Flying Classroom/R4Y C-131 Samaritan/CC-109 Cosmopolitan. I  highly recommend this title.  R/ Dutch.

Very good, thanks Dutch-

Jonah

101st FIS, 102 FIW, Massachusetts ANG also had s very nice C-131 with radial engines and the lt blue & white wedge and seagull badge on the tail. I will have to see if I can find the photo. R/ Dutch.

Aha!  Found one at Airfighters.com.  It's even prettier than I remember!  

C-131D_54-2809_101stFIS_102ndFIW_MassANG_KADW_Sep79.JPG

Edited by Dutch

Any chance of including a camouflaged C-131A on the sheet, in case Roden releases that version, or for those of us with the Authentic Airliners 240? All they seemed to carry was 15" national insignia, serial numbers, red prop warning stripes, and yellow emergency exit markings. I have a few pics I can send.

Ben

And also from Airfighters.com, here is 54-2809 in later Mass ANG marks less lt blue & white wedge & seagull on the tail, but with Cape Cod harpoon on the upper fuselage while at Davis-Monthan AFB eight years later.  In fact, Airfighters.com has a TON of great C-131 shots, including some really neat da-glo markings. 

001.JPG

Edited by Dutch
On 8/3/2019 at 9:29 PM, Gator52 said:

Another great subject in 1/144!  I’d also be interested in the T-29 variant, though I need to do some more research into any differences from the C-131. 

I recall seeing a T-29 on display at Randolph AFB many years ago; I’d have to look and see if I took any photos of it. 

Jonah

I'll be on Randolph Thursday, and can shoot photos if you want them.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry,  Dutch - the profiles and base drawings have been ready for a while, but I barely started designing the actual markings after receiving my kit fairly late last week. Derek sent me a large collection of various Samaritan photos and I am going to choose a few of them this week. At least several ANG options will be in there. The aircraft is pretty small; so I think I could fit 10-12 options on the sheet.

Edited by KursadA

When I was a young pup living outside of Offutt AFB, SAC had a T-29 or VT-29 or whatever it was in the standard aircraft grey with white top with the SAC sash and crest on the sides.   I can't find anything doing a search of the interweb.  Maybe if Dutch has a pic in his Ginter book,  you could include a SAC bird on this sheet..... 

23 hours ago, Dutch said:

Indeed  Don! There are two b&w photos of a SAC sashed VT-29D on page 60. And a few nice TAC Lightning bolt T-29s on Page 59. 

I don't have this book Dutch so I have to take your word for it.   Hopefully it's unique enough that Kursad includes one of them.....

3 hours ago, Dutch said:

Not to worry,  brother Don. I will email you the scans, and cc Kursad.

Got the scans Dutch Master.  Thanks!  That's pretty much how I remember them only without the orange nose, tail band and wing tips. 

My Civil Air Patrol unit went on a trip to the USAF Academy on one of these.   Unfortunately it was too close after my dads accident that my mom said "hell no" to the trip for me.   The plane was hit by lightning on the way back to Offutt, blowing the antenna wire off the plane.  Didn't bother to tell mom about that!

Cheers,

Don