F/A-18E/F exhaust nozzle improvement

I have noticed that from 2016 onward many F/A-18E/Fs have their exhaust nozzle segments ("turkey feathers" in simple words) replaced with a newer version. The original segments didn't have the cut at the end. Now the nozzle looks almost identical to that of the F404 engine used on the F/A-18C/Ds.  Its very common to see one exhaust with the cuts and the other one without them on the same jet, even on the same nozzle some segments are the older ones and some are new with the cuts! Now that would be interesting to replicate on a model, I thought to use one exhaust nozzle from the Aires Super Hornet and the other one from the Legacy Hornet. Any one has more information on this development on the F414 engine?  

PCCLpsh.jpg

WtoF9Ef.jpg

undefined

BUgvZSb.jpg

Edited by EagleAviation

Very interesting. I never noticed that before. There are a lot of little things that have changed on the Super Hornet that isn't captured in modeling. If you look at the inside of the burner cans, the light gray square pieces are now round. The front right gear door is also different as well as the wing slime lights, which have an extension.

3 hours ago, Darren Roberts said:

Very interesting. I never noticed that before. There are a lot of little things that have changed on the Super Hornet that isn't captured in modeling. If you look at the inside of the burner cans, the light gray square pieces are now round. The front right gear door is also different as well as the wing slime lights, which have an extension.

You are absolutely correct Darren. In June/July 2017 I was on the CVN-77. The "War Party" have just received their brand new Super Hornets. They were from the latest production batch and all had the new nose gear door with the reinforcing grid. All other Super Bugs of the Air Wing had the older version. 

VFA-31 jet

HKn5iUE.jpg

VFA-87 jet

sbXvl10.jpg

Edited by EagleAviation

We've discussed this I believe in the F/A-18 thread in the Research Forum. I think Nikko, a Super Hornet maintainer with -213 had said the engines with both old and new style feathers was because they'd replace them as necessary and new engines have just the new style notched feathers.

There are quite a few photos on the navy site showing engines with both styles on the same engines, it does make for an interesting detail on models!

-Gregg

19 minutes ago, GreyGhost said:

We've discussed this I believe in the F/A-18 thread in the Research Forum. I think Nikko, a Super Hornet maintainer with -213 had said the engines with both old and new style feathers was because they'd replace them as necessary and new engines have just the new style notched feathers.

There are quite a few photos on the navy site showing engines with both styles on the same engines, it does make for an interesting detail on models!

-Gregg

I didn't know that Gregg. Will search for that topic. 

1 hour ago, Darren Roberts said:

I've thought about how to replicate the new door in resin, but with all that grid work, I don't think my scratchbuilding or casting skills will get me there. I may still try it just to see how it comes out.

Yeah, that's some intricate mill work in full scale, must be really difficult in 1/48 Darren!

59 minutes ago, EagleAviation said:

I didn't know that Gregg. Will search for that topic. 

I'll bump up the thread for you👍

-Gregg