External differences between F16 block 30 and block 50

The small NSI inlet only applied to block 30's up to serial 86-0262 for the C and 86-0044 for the D, after this all GE powered block 30's have the big MCID intake. 

In addition to the differences mentioned above, you also have minor changes like number of chaff/flare buckets; block 50 have 4 while block 30 have 2-4 depending on production run. 

Depending on time frame your model is to depict, there has also been various updates like CCIP which moved the landing lights from main LG to nose LG etc. 
Check out www.F-16.net - this is one of the best online references for F-16's. 

Edited by Niels

Just one question.  Are the tail fins the same on the F16D block 30 and the F16CJ block 50?

Im converting a 1/32 Tamiya F16CJ into a F16D block 30 using the academy sufa top half of the fuselage as it fits fine to to the bottom. Half of the Tamiya F16CJ.  The air intakes fit as well and the engine and engine cowling.  I simply had to cut out the engine cowling from the academy top half fuselage.  So the academy kit comes with the large and small air intakes.  So its not hard to make a F16D using the academy sufa and the tamiya F16CJ.

Thanks guys for any answers

Cheers

20 minutes ago, Modelkeenfan said:

Just one question.  Are the tail fins the same on the F16D block 30 and the F16CJ block 50?

Yes and no, the only difference is that the D doesn't have the small air vent on either side of the base of the tailfin. This is only found on the C. Rest of the tail is the same however. (Talking about parts C24 and C25 in the Tamiya 1/32 F-16C kit)

Edited by Niels

Thanks guys for all the info.  Most helpful.  With all the F16 variants you almost need a degree in F16 variants and differences.  Just one idea I had, does anyone know if the 1/32 Aires F16D cockpit set for the hasegawa kit would fit into my academy F16?  I. Converting a 1/32 Sufa into a F16D.  Anyone tried it?

I was just researching the 1.32 aired F16D cockpit set and I see it was put on the market in 2010.  Doesn't anyone know if its out IG production?  If so, does anyone have one to sell?

Problem is I can use a black box F16C block 30-32 pit for the from pit but but I'd then have then have to use the academy kit rear pit.   Obviously thr rear pit would not be as detailed and would not I volve quite a bit of work to bring it up to the same detail.  Not really a big problem, but a lot of work and if I could get the 1/32 Aires F16D cockpit set, would save me a lot of work.

I have a 1/32 Tamiya F16C Thunderbirds kit and the isracast sufa conversation set. Plus the Isracast large external fuel tanks, isracast pythons. Popeyes, Deliahs, heavy weight landing gear fro. The tamiya block 50.  I will use the Academy 500lbs LGBs, ssodewinders and  Flightpath ASRAAMS and Isracast targeting pods.  So I think this will make a cracker and more accurate Sufa.  So I decided to use convert academy Sufa into a F16D aggressors of the 18 TFW I. The black and grey scheme with a jamming pod and training missiles.  So I thought making the academy sufa into a F16D would be a good challenging project as the the academy sufa comes with the GE engine and small intake intake as well.  So thats where I'm and thus asking all the questions on the F16D to get it externally correct and the cockpit correct.  Just lots of small changes I have to make to the sufa externally but I van use a lot of partd off the Tamiya kit like the tail fin ect to get it externally correct as a F16D.  So if anyone has do e this project, it would good to here from you if you have made a sufa from the tamiya thunderbirds kit or converted an academy sufa into a F16D.  Any help.or advice would be great.

Cheers

Cheers.

Neils, what small air intake are you talking about on the tail that the D doesn't have? Is it it the little parts 25 And 24 that are just really small air inducts on the right side of the tail?  And I assume the tail shape and tail base of the block 30-32 is exactly the same as in the thunderbirds kit and needs no alteration?

17 hours ago, Modelkeenfan said:

Is it it the little parts 25 And 24 that are just really small air inducts on the right side of the tail?

Correct, these the D-model do not have. 

Thanks Niels for all the info.  You are obviously very knowledgable on the viper variants and i appreciate you sharing your extensive  knowledge with me.  Its great to see a community like the model one where everyone helps out and goes out of their way to share info or help fellow forum members.

I have just one more question.  In relation to the heavy and light landing gear, did this make any real obvious external differences in the wheel bays?  It seems I can only find one 1/32 wheel bay set that is designed to fit the academy F16 and its the sufa wheel bay set. Could I use the sufa wheel bay set in the F16D without it showing any real noticeable differences to the wheel bay of a F16D?  Plus the sufa wheel bays are only 25 euros posted.  So if anyone could tell me, that would be great.  My F16 project is now taking shape

Thanks for the kind words, Modelkeenfan. 

The strengthened landing gear is not easy to spot by eye only. The strengthened landing gear was accompanied by larger wheels, and it is these that necessitated the need for the bulged gear doors. For a block 30, you don't need the bulged gear doors as they had smaller (narrower) wheels. If you can sand down the kit parts I don't know as I don't build 1/32. but worst case you'll have to reinforce the kit parts on the inside and then sand down the outside. 

Not sure if you plan for wheels up or down, but this also could affect how much you can reinforce the main landing gear covers on the inside. 

Yes I will sand down the bulges on the  wheel bay doors as I will have the gear down down. So that's not a problem.  I just wanted to know there was no obvious differences  in the main wheel bay which was easy to see that it was either a heavy landing gear wheel bay or light landing gear wheel bay.  But as I understand it, there is no real differences between light and heavy landing gear wheel bays.  So if I use the 1.32 aires sufa wheel bay, no one could tell the difference

I've forgot - the early block 30's have the landing light on the main wheel struts, this was later moved to the front weel strut. Should be easy to re-create, as it is the round lights on the main wheels. 

Yes good point. I have an extra sprue of the clear parts so shod be easy put the lights on the struts.

I can use a lot of stuff from the Thunderbirds kit and I think the lights are on the struts in the Thunderbirds kit as its a block 32.  

The whole F16D project popped into my head as I bought the academy sufa simply for the baby JDAMS and I bought the Thunderbirds kit when they were still plentiful.  Then I bought all the isracast stuff to convert the Thunderbirds kit into a Sufa.  So I didn't know what to do with the academy sufa and as it is a two seater, the F16D idea popped into my mind when a couple of weeks ago I saw new 1/32 F16D aggressor decals on ebay and thought the arctic aggressor scheme would look cool as a F16D.  However my knowledge on the F16s is not great thus starting this thread.  

Yes I think all set.  I haven't built an academy F16 before but s few Tamiya ones.  I think the tamiya kit is the better kit but the academy kit should come up all right.  I'll pit an ACMI on the right wing tip and an AN/ALQ 188 jamming pod on her belly and she should come up alright